“Very uncomfortable stay”

and 1 more site!
Adonis Hotel
Ranked #121 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am normally happy to have a hotel just as a base to go back to in the evenings, but this was such an uncomfortable stay that I dreaded bed time! We stayed for a week, and were given a room on the first floor with 2 single beds for the adults and a cot bed for the baby. The single beds were hard and uncomfortable, and I could feel the metal mattress springs poking through. After the first night I had to lay two blankets under the sheets to help pad the mattress. I'm not sure why we weren't given a double bed, and our travelling partners had slightly more comfort with their double mattresses.

The rooms on the first floor were rather dismal and incredibly noisy. The noise from the 24-hour reception carried badly, we could hear conversations at all hours of the night, as well as people stomping through on all floors and banging doors.

One of our travel partners requested to be moved from his first floor room which was dark during the day, and overlooked a building site, filled with rubbish. They were moved to the 4th floor, which was an improvement on the room but again very noisy (kitchen and dining room upstairs, loud conversations, banging doors etc). Our other partner was given a room on the 3rd floor, which I think had been renovated and was 10 times better than the one we had.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and the best thing about the hotel was Maria B who worked in the rooftop bar and made our time at Adonis much more pleasant. She was wonderful - very hospitable, helpful and made us feel so welcome!

Our week-long stay wasn't cheap either, and a cheap price can be the tradeoff when a hotel is of such poor quality, but we lucked out with that as well. I would never stay at Adonis again and would advise looking around the area for other places. We had friends staying at a 4 star hotel nearby which was comparable in price!!

Room Tip: First floor is very noisy and dismal rooms. Third floor seems to be renovated and have nicer rooms.
3  Thank 20km14

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Adonis is not fancy, but it has several great features that would draw me back again:
1) The folks who man the front desk are just great. We arrived bleary-eyed from our overnight flight and found our room awaiting us at 11:00 am. They were very helpful with maps and with orienting us to the sights, and in advising us on travel time and booking a cab for the next leg of our journey.
2) The location in Plaka can't be beat. We took the X95 bus from the airport to Syntagma Square and even on our first trip to Athens it only took us 5 minutes to navigate to the hotel on foot. The Acropolis is an easy 10 - 15 minute walk, and it's only a few minutes longer to the Agora. Just about every sight you could want to see in Athens is an easy walk.
3) The breakfast room (which double as the bar at night) has a view of the Acropolis that cannot be beat. A nice selection of food on offer for breakfast as well - but that view could keep me there for hours on its own.

On the downside, the rooms are tight. We had a triple for our family that could be a double in disguise. We were at the back with a small balcony with a view of a wall just six feet away. And the bathroom was very small. But with the location, the helpful staff, and the breakfast view to look forward to I would gladly go back for another three day stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front appeared to have balconies you could actually make use of (we were at the back wi...
1  Thank RandKM
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I am lying in this hotel bed after again having a 2nd night with absolutely no sleep. So I thought I'd give my honest feedback.

Upon check in we were met by a friendly young man who would turn out to be the only bright light from this miserable hotel. He told us we had the best hotel room in the hotel, 401, so we were quite excited, well that didn't last long.

We opened the door to our hotel room to find what looked more like a prison cell than a hotel room. So so small, the bathroom, well let's say it's not a bathroom, it's a closet that has had a toilet and shower put in it. When I sat on the toilet I had to turn sideways so that my legs didn't hit the wall. The shower, there isn't even a holder for the shower jet, it just sits on the floor, so imagine having to hold it while you attempt to wash yourself, and the shower is that small you cannot even turn around in it,

Now for the bed. 2 pillows that felt like balloons, you lie on one side and the other side blows up. So so hard, I asked reception for a spare pillow, but they said they didn't know if they had one and just hung up on me. The bed is so hard I think it is made out of corrugated metal.

The air con is controlled by reception, and when you leave your room they turn it off, resulting in the room becoming on oven for when you return. now what kind of so called hotel doesn't even allow their customers to have access to an air con remote. Absolute joke, and when it is on, it stays at 24 on low fan, hardly ideal when it's 38 degrees in Athens in summer. Staff preach that it's to help the environment, but I'm sorry, this is a hotel, not a recycling plant. I'm paying your prison to have access to all ADVERTISED products and I expect to be able to do so.

Now if you want to sleep, DO NOT stay here. The noise is like the building is falling down, 24 hours a day, it's a circus! You hear everything, neighbours, dodgy plumbing, the elevator, people stomping up and down the stairs, people banging on the 5th floor and dragging their chairs from breakfast, which is served from 6AM! Ear plugs don't even help. You can even hear people get out of the elevator on ground level from level 4! I eve complained about the noise, their response was, it's a 2 star hotel. Your hotel rating is based on the complete crap you provide your customers, but it doesn't represent the noise level in this prison.

Seriously I could go on and on about reasons not to stay here. Yes the location is good, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area. Seriously, i have been travelling for 10 weeks, AND have stayed in all forms of budget friendly hotels/hostels, and this is by far the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at. And at 90 euro per night, is not even that cheap.

Do yourself a favour and avoid this prison, if you don't, you will be lying awake one night from the constant noise, and you will think to yourself, gee, that guy on trip advisor was right. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Do not stay on top floor, you hear everything from everyone going to 5th floor and hear everything f...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JuzzyS
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is simple to the bones but the location is charming and convenient and the rooftop is small but perfect for the sunset. It's walkable to nearly everything and we would definitely stay again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Excellent hotel to use as a base for sightseeing and eating out in Athens. A quick and easy walk, just a couple of short city blocks, from Syntagma Square and Metro. Situated in Plaka the older part of the city. Near The Acropolis, Roman Agora and near the Acropolis Museum. www.athensguide.com/plaka.html. A lively atmosphere from the moment you step into the largely pedesrianised streets of this part of Plaka.
A simple, friendly hotel that provides for the traveller's basic needs to a high, practical, no frills, standard. The staff are friendly and helpful. The roof terrace and small dining room have a spectacular view of the Acropolis from the East. This is where you have breakfast in the morning or drinks in the evening. Breakfast is basic but fine. You may prefer breakfast out if staying more than a couple of nights. Also, the terrace is quickly filled at the busy morning rush so get to breakfast early if you want to eat al fresco; though you still get the view through the big picture window inside. Ask if you want a room with the Acropolis view.

Room Tip: Ask on booking if you want your room to view the Acropolis - though the best view is from the roof t...
2  Thank Greg C
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Adonis hotel is located in a nice area (Plaka). Beautiful view to Akroplis from the roof top. Very friendly staff. Lot of noise from walking area - every sound came through the walls and door. In our room at 4th floor, Air Condition is controlled from reception, not very smart! Stayed also in 205 - here the AC was self controlled.
The hotel does NOT accept credit cards!
Could choose this hotel again, because of the location an the view.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel (really a hostel) was the only low point on my amazing holiday in Greece. The establishment is so noisy I could hear both neighbours simultaneously at 3:00 am!! The cleaning lady then came at 9:00 am to complete a night with little sleep. The room was small and the bathroom so tiny, you have to stand outside to brush your teeth. I would NOT recommend staying here at all! Only the location is a redeeming feature, however there are many other options in that regard.

Stayed: July 2014