“Great location”

Ranked #57 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great location”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My husband and I had just spent a week and a half in the Greek Islands prior to our short stay in Athens, so arriving at the Athenian Callirhoe Exclusive Hotel was somewhat of a culture shock. We sure weren't on an island anymore! Athens is a bustling city so of course this hotel was not a quaint white painted house with blue doors and shutters! The Athenian Callirhoe is very nice, just different, and it certainly does feel exclusive! This boutique hotel in the heart of Athens has a small lobby area that is completely modern glam, with lots of black and silver and touches of orange. There are two small mirrored elevators - basically just enough room for me, my husband, and our luggage. The "standard" rooms are clean, modern and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet that was included in our package was good and you could squeeze your own fresh orange juice.

However, in my opinion, the greatest selling points for this hotel are:
1) The roof garden bar/restaurant, with an absolutely incredible view of the Acropolis, which is amazing to see all lit up at night. On our last night in Greece when we didn't want it to end, the very friendly bartender not only served up fantastic drinks when we weren't sure what to order but also knew just how to get the best photos of the Acropolis!
2) The hotel is within easy walking distance to the Acropolis and Plaka, which was a good thing since during our time in Athens there was a transit strike so we had no choice but to walk.

We were upgraded to this hotel as part of our vacation package and so it could otherwise perhaps be a bit pricey; however, it's an excellent location for a short visit to see the main attractions of Athens. I'd recommend it!

1 Thank PalladiumBride

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
new haven, ct
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The room was small, but fine. The location was decent and the breakfast included was pretty good. That is the best I have to say. The woman at the front desk was rude and always on her phone, irritated by us interrupting her calls. The bathroom was FULL of mold I was so grossed out.

4 Thank katyfo
Adamopoulos, General Manager at The Athenian Callirhoe Exclusive Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Your comments are always welcome and helpful as we wish to improve our services and keep the excellent quality and standards of the product offered.

We would like to apologize for the unfortunate insistent in the specific bathroom but it was not a mater of cleanness but a bad choice of a constructional material, as all bathrooms are cleaned and decontaminated daily. The problem mentioned was because of the use of a new waterproof silicone glue in some bathrooms which was proved not proper and replaced immediately.

Concerning some negative comments about our staff, the positive comments of other guests come as a reply, so it would be an excess to make comments by our part.

Respectfully
Nikos G. Adamopoulos
Hotel Manager
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2011

For such a hotel I was definitely expecting more. The first check in was slow and they were not expecting me at all. Room was small, TV set not working, restaurant expensive and not that tasty, when I asked about recommendations for dinner outside the hotel I was told to go to the restaurant's hotel. In the bathroom there is a door stopper in the middle of the floor, I hit my feet, is in a very inconvenient location.
Breakfast as in almost any place in Greece is nothing to be surprised of. But when it comes to the service I was disappointed. When I asked for tea I was told "you can get it from the bar" nobody even tried to give it to me. nobody told me "good morning" just " room number?"

does not have a pool. It has a small view to the acropolis although in the pictures of the website looks like you can sit in any place in the restaurant and see it.

no pool, sauna is electric and you have to let them know with a lot of time in advance for them to turn it on. gym is poorly equipped.

The hotel is not bad, decoration is nice, is clean, organized... but definitely not an "exclusive hotel".

Room Tip: Close to the accropolis, but the area surrounding the hotel looks unsafe, grafittis in the walls, ga...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank MexKaz
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed at the Callirhoe for part of our honeymoon and were not impressed. But let's start with the positive -- the location is easy to access tourist sites and the Metro and the fresh pressed orange juice at breakfast is nice. Now to the not so good... The mattress was terribly uncomfortable and I could feel the springs. The staff was uninterested and not helpful. When I asked for directions to the National Archaeological Museum, the receptionist looked at me like I was crazy and then produced an outdated map that was copied from a Budget Rent-A-Car location. Also our room was quite noisy due the proximity to the street; I actually had to sleep with ear plugs (oh so sexy for a honeymoon). While the decor is "new" it is horrendously tacky... I'm talking orange leather, a "waterfall" display with faux flowers and silver glitter explosion. It was so bad that we took humorous pictures.

7 Thank Carey U
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We loved this hotel. Well located, within easy walking distance to the Plaka. Staff friendly, courtious and helpful. Rooms well appointed and very comfortable. The highlight was the magnificent view of the Parthenon from the rooftop bar at night. Very happy with our stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megan D
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights at the end of August and got a good sale price online. We flew in from Mykonos and took the subway into the city. It was fairly easy to find from the subway, about at 10 minute walk. The hotel itself is very nice and is very well cared for. The customer service is terrible. The front desk staff is so pretentious, we picked up on it the second we walked in. We struggled to get our luggage through the front door, no one even looked up or offered any sort of assistance. An offer to hold the door open would have been more than enough. There was a blond lady working the front desk that checked us in and she was so snooty it was disgusting. No hello. No welcome to our hotel. No information on how the hotel works and where things were. No offer of information on the city. Nothing. The elevator is one of those old ones that you have to manually open the door. The elevator is right next to the reception desk, there were two men in addition to the blond. No one offered to hold the elevator door so we could get our luggage in. We stayed there for 4 nights, we passed by that front desk at least 4 times per day as we came and went, only ONCE did someone look up and acknowledge us as we passed by. Once. That is terrible customer service. A hotel…a FIVE star hotel…should make its guests feel welcome. This one did not. This one didn’t even come close. That is not 5 star to me. The breakfast was 24 euro per person per day. We did NOT pay for this. That is outrageous. Even in Santorini and Mykonos, the breakfast wasn’t even close to that, and those islands are expensive. There is a supermarket a couple blocks away. We bought yoghurt, fruit, cereal and milk, moved all the snacks out of the way in the fridge in our room and had our own breakfast. The room itself was nice looking, the bed was very comfortable. The patio had 2 doors to block out noise from outside, as the hotel is located on a very busy intersection. It does block out some but it’s still quite loud. The walls are not soundproof, we heard our neighbors arguing no problem. I couldn’t have slept without earplugs. In the bathroom, the water pressure was low and the water would switch from scalding hot to warm and back. The shower curtain didn’t go all the way around the tub so it leaked. We were on the fourth floor and we looked out to an abandoned apartment building. We did go up to the restaurant (open only after 7:30pm) to see the acropolis view this hotel boasts about. It’s not bad but you can only see it from certain parts of the restaurant. I’m not sure how many rooms had an acropolis view, but it couldn’t have been many, the building next to us was just as high and stood between the hotel and the view. As for the gym, we were very unimpressed. It was in the basement with low ceilings. The treadmill was obscenely loud and we feared the belt would snap at any moment. Not a five star gym, that’s for sure. I would never stay here again. I would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank NurseBackpacker
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Impressed with hotel overall.Clean modern relatively large room for Europe.Central and close to the city.Prices seemed OK.But the breakfast was poor in that the small room was always crowded and staffing was at a minimum.Food was adequate-no more.The big let down was the hyped up restaurant on the top floor.This should have been great.It has a fantastic view rght over Athens and the view of the Acropolis was unbeatable.But it was a hot summer night-no windows open and the air conditioner on so cold we needed to go back to the room to get jackets.Also the food was very ordinary.In summary-recommended-just don"t eat there.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family