The Athenian Callirhoe Exclusive Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$293
US$183
US$170
Elvoline
  • Pool
All reviewsrooftop restaurantnice hotelacropolis museumsqueezed orange juicewalking distanceroof gardentravel agentbusy roadexecutive roomgreat view of the acropolistop floorconvenient locationthree nightshotel is locatedmajor attractionsvisiting athensnice breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here for three nights in February 2012 as part of tour package. The location is handy 15 - 20 minute walk uphill to the Plaka and acropolis entrance. Immediate vicinity of the hotel is car dealers but there is one nice restaurant nearby - Smile, which has top rating on TA. Don't know what the hotel tariff was but there is nothing "exclusive" about this hotel. The view of the Parthenon from the rooftop restaurant is great but the food is quite expensive and nothing particularly Greek on the menu. Breakfast was fine. The rooms are adequate but basically I equate this hotel with any standard Ibis hotel. Definitely 3 star. Room decor is very basic and uninspired although rooms were quiet. The bathrooms in the two different rooms I stayed in were tiny and you had to close the door in order to get into the shower or stand in front of the mirror. Also a distinct lack of power points in accessible positions. The service at the front desk, or lack thereof, was also irritating. Unfriendly and at times rude. I am really a low maintenance guest but I do like to see a smile and welcome on arrival and acknowledgement when I walk past reception on return, particularly when travelling solo, in the hope that at least someone notices whether I'm dead or alive ! But the young woman on reception could hardly have cared less. Barely a grimace in response to my greetings. I think the room deficiencies would have been balanced out if the service had been great but basically I was glad to leave. I would stay elsewhere next time, probably on the Plaka.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank bindip61
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed at the Athenian Callirhoe for the first week of our Honeymoon and then used it as a ‘home-base’ for the balance of the month in between weeks in Skiathos, Santorini, a cruise and again on our final night. I had requested a different, near-by hotel of my travel advisor: one at which I stayed when passing through Greece two years prior. He suggested the Callirhoe as better and less costly. It was clearly (to me) better but the cost was part of our package so we took him on his word for that.

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, at all. Perhaps rooms lower down are noisy, we were on the top floor (of rooms, below the restaurant) and had no issues. Perhaps standard rooms are cramped, we were in a suite so had a hockey-sock worth of space. Perhaps some staff had a bad day, we had only minor issues with some difficulty getting coffee one day at breakfast and a particular breakfast staff’s overly insincere “Parakalooooh” every time I thanked her for anything.

Overall, the attention paid to us was just great. We were greeted efficiently every time we returned, viewing it as professionalism vice bad behaviour. In fact, it became almost comical. Our first evening there we returned from dinner to find a complimentary bottle of red wine and a plate of chocolate truffles! Lovely: we enjoyed the wine over the next couple of evenings. However, as I have stated, we used the hotel as our home-base and spent three more single nights there. We were upgraded from our Junior Suite to their larger(est?) suite with an apology that it hadn’t been available for our first week’s stay. This was not at all comical, however, each of these nights on return from the restaurant at ~ 2200 hours there was another bottle of red wine and chocolates! Having to rise at 0500/0600 for our next travel leg meant that we accumulated quite a collection of wine!

The roof-top restaurant was just fantastic. While we were there they had a running special prix fixe menu. We took advantage of and enjoyed it each time we dined, except twice. Our last night was my bride’s birthday and they made it a very special occasion, although she was a bit ‘overwhelmed’ by her large birthday martini. After the first few days, our servers became familiar with our preferences. So familiar that, when we returned for those single night stays, they were quick to bring us our beverages of choice. When I commented on the fact that this was remembered, our server simply stated, “Its my job to remember.”

The location is very close to so many attractions as commented on by others. Someone mentioned that the neighbourhood seemed a bit dodgy. I had just recently retired from the army so felt reasonably confident in my physique and ‘spidey-senses’. On day two I walked about a bit, alone, found a corner store for some snacks, a few tins of Mythos and a bottle of white wine for my wife. I never felt unsafe, nor unwelcome. The shop keeper remembered me when I returned three weeks later and, just as he had done on my first visit, presented me with the snacks complimentary after buying the wine.

The gym was a bust, I must say. I agree that it was stuffy and not all of the equipment was in good repair. We only used it once but were able to get enough excersize by walking to and through the sites.

If we ever return to Athens, this is where we will stay.

Room Tip: I guess go for a higher elevation to avoid the noise. Also, the suites were spacious and very comfortable: I am just unable to comment on the cost/value due to our packed pricing and a complimentary upgrade.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tango9R
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We have stayed at this hotel in January 2012. We visit Athens every year. This is the first time we have stayed at this Hotel. We really loved it. The staff was very polite and very helpful. The breakfast was just like it was suppose to be. The location was very accesable by metro. The Syggrou-Fix tube station was within 5 minutes walk. There was no noise in the rooms. The location is safe comparing with other locations in Athens. We really love this hotel and we definately stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank POLINA2006
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Roof top restaurant is amazing. Great view, beautiful food and top staff.
The hotel itself is very close to the pantheon, was like a 10 15 min walk.
The drive to the ferry terminal to the islands was only 20 mins.
The staff were pleasant and the rooms were clean and tidy.
I would stay here again for sure

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We stayed there in September 2011, when the recession impact on Greece was huge, we thought the Greeks would be more welcoming to tourists bringing in much wanted foreign currency. However, the Hotel staff were rather unfriendly and assistance was scarce. The hotel itself was clean, but rooms were cramped with uncomfortable beds. The much hyped rooftop restaurant with Acropolis view, was a damp squib.

Room Tip: Try other hotels in the similar price range, as the rooms here were really cramped.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family