“Just OK”

The Athenian Callirhoe Exclusive Hotel
Ranked #55 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed at the Athenian for two nights in June 2014. Overall, I would rate the experience as satisfactory. The best thing about this hotel is probably the location. Rooms were small and poorly decorated. Hotel staff forgot to clean our room on the second day. Overall, just OK.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jubalie

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We only spent two nights at this hotel, but I would definitely stay there again. It is very close to Acropolis and Plaka. Service was good. Best of our breakfasts. View from hotel restaurant/bar was of the Acropolis which was gorgeous at night. Had tissues (a first in our travels) and good hair dryer. We did not eat at the restaurant as it was close to other restaurants and shopping. We rate this boutique hotel as 4 star and highly recommend it. I would stay there again if I ever get back to Athens. We did not rate the value of the hotel as it was included in our tour. We loved Athens.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cnovotny
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We spent a lot of time exploring Athens so barely spent time in our hotel - so it was great for what we needed. It was clean and central - walking distance to the hop on/off bus stop too. The view from the rooftop bar was lovely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 5 June 2014

While in a location convenient to the major attractions in ancient Athens, and despite well appointed common areas, the guest room were small and plain. I had contacted the hotel about a month and a half before our trip requesting a balcony room. I was informed that balcony rooms were issued on a first come first served basis. We arrived early afternoon, requested a balcony, were told the hotel was completely booked, and only after mentioning my request were we "upgraded" to a balcony on the 3rd floor of an extremely busy, noisy main street. We opted for a quieter room on the 4th floor away from traffic noise, with a view of the HVAC system outside our window and an older apartment building behind that. Again, the hotel has invested in the common areas with a very nice restaurant on the 8th floor with a great view of the Acropolis, but the rooms themselves aren't much.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room as high up as possible. Other than the Acropolis and an attractive red ti...
2  Thank GatorsRbest
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Recently stayed one night in Athens- this hotel is in a great location walkable to sights. The staff are friendly and helpful. The room we had gave a view of the Acropolis but was a little small and carpets worn, but clean overall. The restaurant gave a fantastic view at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Recently spent three nights at the Callirhoe while touring Athens. A lovely hotel, great location, within walking distance of the Acropolis. Staff was friendly and helpful and the room was very clean and even had a fridge. Breakfast was very European and was one of the best, save room for the Greek yogurt, it was amazing.

Make sure you check out the view from the Rooftop Cafe. Drinks are a bit pricey but the view of the Acropolis, especially at night, is wonderful.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here during our one-day trip to Athens before flying out of Greece. I was in a hurry when I booked it so I used TA to search for a hotel that had a shuttle service and was near the Parthenon. Under "amenities" this one indicates that it has a shuttle service but I did not check with the hotel before booking on what the shuttle service actually means. I was hoping it meant a shuttle to the airport. When we checked in I found out that it just means that they will call a cab for you if you ask and then you pay for it. I think most hotels will call a cab for you, so I do not think this one should indicate that they have a shuttle service under amenities. This detail was disappointing but not an outrage or anything. Overall I would say the hotel is rather dingy and dated. The room was not very clean (stains on the carpet, lots of wear and tear visible, rest of the hotel that I saw was in a similar condition). One plus was that they do have a fitness center, albeit rather dungeon-like in the basement, I was able to use the treadmill very early in the AM which was nice before the 25-hr trip back home. Like everyone else said, the location is good. It is not in the nicest area of town but it is in walking distance to the main sites. With what little time we had in Athens it was no problem to check in at 3pm and see the Parthenon and the Plaka and other key sites.