“Highlight of Athens”

Cuisines: Greek
Neighbourhood: Exarchia
Neighbourhood: Exarchia
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We were looking around for a restaurant for quite a while as we were trying to avoid the tourist traps.

A man greeted us on a street down the road. We were reluctant to stop at first but when we spoke to the gentlemen he was very friendly and not over the top wanting to get us into the restaurant. We came back later and enjoyed the amazing tzaziki, souvlaki seasoned and cooked perfection, and the best lamb chops I have tasted - not to mention the only place in Europe we have been to where the wine was on the house. We also got some watermelon at the end free of charge.

The waiter had us laughing all night with his friendly humour and funny stories. Would give the place 10/10, highly recommend.

This is the first review I have posted after 6 weeks in Europe and many other experiences traveling.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Sweet Home Hotel (excellent) next to the Peristeria and ate there 2nights. Patroou St looks a bit grim from the main road, but the taverna is an old fashioned no frills Greek eatery. Gus is the "catcher" on the door and is a great character -recently arrived from New York. Ask his recommendation - light,filling,veggie etc. the house wine is very drinkable, tzatziki best we have tasted and prices very reasonable. Grilled fish, chicken scrummy, salad good and tender octopus salad. Air con works. This is not a multi table tourist trap, no street musicians or beggars to blight your meal, just a family run good little taverna.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We have been looking for this "taverna" after reading the positive experience of other clients and we expected a family runned restaurant with good food and cheap price but we found very little choice not really high quality food and no particular low prices if compared to the greek standards. The person at the door who was in charge of taking people passing by into the restaurant showed me a fish and encouraged me to eat it but then instead of grilling the one showed, he put that fish back in the fridge and grilled another fish taken from a different place. The place is quite in the center of the city in Patroou str closed to Syntagma square.

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

My waiter Costa was very friendly and offered to select my dinner for me (since I wasn't sure what to have). I had salad, pork souvlaki with roasted potatoes, and seasonal fruit for dessert. The price was very reasonable, and the food was amazing. Later, George the owner/cook came out and introduced himself. I highly recommend this restaurant for the amazing food and the friendly down-to-earth service.

Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for the best Greek salad and the best grilled fish in Athens, without the tourist prices, then this is the place. A family run restaurant that has been around for over 45 years. George is the owner but he is also a great cook. Some of my most memorable meals were at Ta Peristeria.