“Great tour guide for Athens and beyond”

Athens Walking Guide Private Day Tours
Ranked #97 of 267 Tours in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: Reliable sightseeing, private fun tours
Reviewed 2 June 2014

You are in for a great treat if you tour with Angelos Kokkaliaris of athenswalkingguide.com. Angelos has an M.A. degree in archeology and hopes to go on for his Ph.D. He has been guiding for over 8 years. He is incredibly knowledgeable as well as friendly and has a great sense of humor. He provides a high level of personal, very attentive service, well above and beyond the call of duty. Let Angelos know what you are interested in (whether it’s ancient or modern history, archeology, art, food, etc.) and what your knowledge level is; he will tailor your tour to your interests and needs. If you are worried about too much detail and need him to give you a high-level overview, just ask and he will accommodate. If you have issues with stairs or fatigue easily, let Angelos, know, and he will adjust accordingly.

My husband and I spent 11 days with Angelos in April 2014 touring mainland Greece as well as doing a walking tour in Athens. We were particularly interested in the history of the classical Greek period. Angelos did not disappoint.

As examples of Angelos’ high level of personal service, when we were planning our itinerary with our travel company, we expressed an interest in visiting the site of Plato’s Academy in Athens, which is off the beaten path. Angelos took it upon himself to visit the site on his own time before adding it to the itinerary.

We ate some wonderful meringue cookies that were a local specialty in Arcadia. Angelos searched the Internet for a recipe and not finding one, called a bakery and tried to coax a recipe out of them. He even took it upon himself to locate a pharmacy that was open and Sundays and bought medicine that we needed after we asked him to take us to a pharmacy on Monday morning, when we knew pharmacies would be would be open.

All in all, we would have to say that Angelos’ knowledge and personal service are the best we have ever encountered in a guide. We have done a lot of traveling with many guides in over 50 countries, and Angelos is easily the very best.

1  Thank N0nAccidentalT0urist

Reviewed 26 May 2014

my wife and I just returned from a trip to Turkey and Greece. while in Athens we utilized the guiding services of Vassilis Vassalos. he met us at our ship and dropped us at our hotel at the end of a long and wonderful day. Vassilis was personable, seemed to know everyone we came across, and very knowledgeable about all things Greek and Athenian. we recommend a visit to Athens and using Vassilis when you do.

Ray and Betsy

1  Thank ray b
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Athens City and Acropolis Tour was great. It was interesting way to learn about the history of Athens, led by friendly and knowledgeable guide. The price of the tour was well worth it and We were very satisfied with the whole experience.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked a private walking tour with Angelo of the Acropolis & the surrounding Plaka. It was by far the highlight of out time in Athens! Angelo has an amazing wealth of knowledge on the history, politics & religion of Ancient Greece, and tailored the tour perfectly to our interests.

Our walking tour was filled with fun & thought provoking conversations & Angelo was able to answer our every question. As another reviewer said, Angelo really is "a walking encyclopedia", but it is not just his immense knowledge that will bring us back, he is also a warm & wonderful person & his passion for Athens really shines through. We ended the tour feeling like we had made a new friend.

If you are looking to do a walking tour of Athens, definitely book with Athens Walking Guide. It will be the best & most memorable experience you have in Athens.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had the pleasure of taking two tours with Athen Walking Guide - all with Angelos. Our first tour was an evening tour from 5:30-9:30 and I think it was called "A taste of Athens". It included watching the changing of the guard, a sample of traditional coffee and sweets, a sample of spirits and ice cream, olive oil tasting, and ending with him setting us up in a restaurant for dinner. All of this was done while walking through Athens and getting an excellent introduction to the city. This was our first day in Athens and was an awesome introduction to the city. Our second tour was the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum tour. We did it in the evening as it was hot that day and it was much more comfortable for all of us. I could go on and on about it but to keep it simple I will say this was such a worthwhile experience and Angelos is the best tour guide we have had at any venue or city. He is very informative and engaging to adults and younger people. He will suit the tour to your needs and keep things flowing at a pace that is not rushed. We can't say enough about how enjoyable this experience was with Angelos and it made our family of five (Kids aged 17,16, and 13) very at ease with the city and coming away loving the city and all it offers.

1  Thank fortdental
AthensWalkingGuide, Owner at Athens Walking Guide Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Lyle & Tracey,
Happy New Year ! My very best wishes for a great 2014!
I thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a review. I remember our tours like it was yesterday... the sweet indulgence in Syntagma, the sesame treat in Plaka and our late dinner in Monastiraki Square. It was an evening to remember! I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed it! However I feel like I should be thanking your family because after our two day tour the idea of Family Athens Tours was born which I will be conducting this year.
It was a pleasure meeting your family and if you are visiting again Greece drop me a line I would be happy to see you again.
Wishing you all the best,
Angelos