“The best outdoor cinema in the world!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Open Air Cinema THISION
Ranked #48 of 342 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cine THISIO is an open air cinema and therefore is not opened in winter . Each year opening date depends largely on weather conditions. Typically, the operation of the cinema begins the last week of April or the first week of May and ends in late October. We don't make ​​reservations and you can't book tickets, because we remain traditional, because the capacity of cinema is very large and because all seats are good . If you arrive about 30 minutes earlier you will buy your tickets in comfort, even in the extremely popular films.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Athens
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“The best outdoor cinema in the world!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I don't think that there is an outdoor cinema that has a view of the Acropolis, anywhere else in the world....I just love it...

Visited September 2013
3 Thank tsyxoulaki

• Greek first
Athens, Greece
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Friendly and cozy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very nice decoration and overall atmosphere. Many interesting mezedes and main dishes, to accompany your wine.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Stelios667
Dublin, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“The coolest cinema I have ever been to in my life...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

The coolest cinema I have ever been to in my life...
It was such a buzz sitting out in the open air watching a movie in this cool cinema... with it's old style projector, ivy lined walls, screen surrounded by potted plants... not to mention the blankets that were handed out when it got cold!
There was even an interval to stock up on some cold beers, sweets and popcorn in the little shop that seemed to have everything you would ever want at a cinema!!
Such a surreal experience... It was so much craic!

Visited October 2013
6 Thank 20WorldTu
Piraeus, Greece
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“perhaps the coolest cinema this side of the galaxy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I am a regular at Cine Thissio, ever since I was old enough to go to the cinema. My grandma used to take me there in the 70s. I can not be objective since I go there at least once a month , every summer , so, I will point out some things that may spoil someno's experience.
1.Dear all , remember, it's an open air cinema and it's my right to have a smoke .
2. The queue at the ticket booth may seem long,but the staff are really fast in processing all the crowd.
3. Have in mind that once inside the very same queue will migrate at the bar. Don't waste your time fretting nad let the film begin. As soon there is a gap in the film action run inside and grab the beer , snack etc. of your choice . Do try the freshly baked cheesepies.
4.Do not bother if you had a beer too many.There is always a 10 minute interval. Use it to "download" in the WC AND reload at the bar .
5.It's a family run business and the cinema was established sometime in the 30s. Also , locals like us ( as I have already mentioned aBove) go there on a regular basis. Do not act "too touristy". (sic). Let everyone enjoy the film . Acropolis is not going anywhere.
6. I totally agree with Emmi12345 that mentions Lontos .Good prices, decent cuisine that used to be called "international" , fast service. I would also suggest the cafe-bars opposite of Lontos if you only want to drink something, along with a light snack.
7. Have in mind that senior citizens over 65 ( I do not , REPEAT DO NOT, know if it's only for Greeks) pay € 6,00 every day . I know that for children it's € 6,00 for every little one.

Enough said, I'm going to enjoy seeing "Elysium" there tomorrow Friday with a friend. Perfect for Athens at 38.C

Visited August 2013
5 Thank Ginalenna
Leeds
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Mesmerising- we will treasure this evening forever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

After a bite to eat at 'Lontos' just down the road, we caught the earlier showing of 'Mud' on a mid- August evening. Hearing it was 'the best cinema in the world', we expected it to be good, but nothing could have prepared us for how captivating it just was. We had a lovely view of the summer moon, and if you make sure to sit at the top left as you go in, you will catch a view of the Acropolis too! We thought the film was excellent, but the experience was something else. We felt it was a moment of pure bliss, sitting in the light summer breeze, relaxing, with the moon and Acropolis lights shining down on us, enjoying home-made refreshments, while we watched a projection with an old- fashioned, yet timeless, vintage feel. Very romantic. The fact we were outdoors just made us feel even more transported and involved with the film, with the plentiful green shrubbery leaving us feeling connected with nature. A must-do if you are even in Athens for only a day, as remember, it will not take up your day time as you can go after your evening meal, usually the time options are around 9 or 11 o clock in the evening. You can book tickets beforehand if you wish, refreshments are sold at plenty, with popcorn, nachos, pies, cakes and beverages, and there is an interval of around 10 minutes in the middle of the film. Magnificent.

Visited August 2013