“Highly recommended place to stay”
Review of Fresh Hotel

Fresh Hotel
Ranked #28 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The location is excellent, halway between Omania and Monostriiki metro stops, so you have a nonstop to either the port or the airport. The hotel itself is close enough to the ancient center that we just walked to the sites. The room is very comfortable with a nice shower. The breakfast is excellent. It has all the usual American/Continental choices as well as sauteed mushrooms, cooked zucchini and tomatoes etc. Also fresh squeezed orange juice(!) The rooftop bar/lounge/swimming pool is fantastic with a lovely view of the Acropolis. It has a great vibe day or night, ahd the drinks are reasonable.

2  Thank Timbert
Write a ReviewReviews (2,151)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have now stayed at the Fresh Hotel 6 times in the past 4 years, so you could say it is my hotel of choice while visiting Athens. This is quite unusual for me, as I usually like to try out other venues/areas, for no other reason than just a change. I have also stayed at the Diamond Hotel, the Arios Hotel, Attalos Hotel and the Central Hotel , also 1 night at the Titania ( see reviews) However, the Fresh is still my favourite. The price is very good value for money ( I always book direct with hotel thru their own website) and I find the location to be ideal for my needs, which is to be close to restaurants, public transport, sights, shops etc. That it's not right in the 'heart' of the tourist area is to me a plus, as the surrounding area is full of interesting cafes, bars, shops, markets etc, frequented by locals. The Fresh bedrooms, while a little small by Australian standards, are spotlessly clean, with comfortable beds and smart functionable furnishings. Wifi is good throughout the hotel, though sometimes can be a little slow.
I notice that some reviewers make mention of the 'dodgy area' around the hotel, and this is somewhat true to some extent, but as long as you remember to turn left as you leave the hotel, and walk 50 metres up to Athinas Street, then you'll not have any problem..... just don't turn right at the corner, and make the mistake of walking down the street, at least not at night. ( I did wander down the street one morning, (accompanied by a friend) out of curiosity, and while I never feel threatened, it just isn't a very pleasant area, it's run down and populated by many immigrants from Africa, Middle East, South Asia etc.)
I always find the front counter staff at the Fresh to be most helpful and friendly, and always willing to assist with any request. A special mention must go to Effie and Yiorgas on the evening shift, who go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
If you ask for a room on a high floor, and are lucky enough to get a room *05, *06 or *07, then you'll get a large balcony with a great unimpeded view looking west over the city.... and great sunsets! On the 8th floor though, which is the highest floor with rooms, the sounds and music from the rooftop bar can be a problem at night, especially at weekends when it goes on till 1:30 am. But this is Athens, and you'll probably still be out ( or in the rooftop bar) at this time anyway.
I presume that breakfast is always included in the room price, as the staff at the breakfast room never question you as to which room you are staying in. The freshly squeezed orange juice served at the buffet is a wonderful touch, and a pleasant surprise, especially when compared with the usual 'Orange Cordial' served up in many hotels in Athens. The breakfast room is large, airy and spacious, and the buffet has all the usual offerings, and the staff are efficient. The only complaint I have ( and it's a minor one) is that there is still no facility to order freshly cooked eggs. Your only choice is from the bain-marie, which has fried eggs, scambled eggs, boiled eggs and even omellette 'slices', but after they have been sitting there for a while, they dont always look that appetising.
Overall, I really like the 'ambience' at the Fresh, from the downstairs lobby and reception area, the breakfast room, to the Rooftop Bar and restaurant. I still haven't used the pool though, and had no idea till now, that they even had a fitness centre. Maybe next visit!

2  Thank vendepac
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Nice boutique hotel, unfortunately we only arrived around midnight as we had a late flight. I loved the colours and the design furniture. The hotel is centrally located and the rooftop bar has a view on the Acropolis. It was thus very nice to have our welcome drink with a view on the lit Acropolis. The room was spacious and was provided with all comfort. The staff was friendly and were very helpful even we arrived almost in the middle of the night. The breakfast was varied and offered a wide range of fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, ... The hotel is centrally located and offers free wi-fi

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

The plaza in front of the Acropolis is a 5 - 10 min walk; there are some "shady" spots nearby, but we - luckily - have not noticed anything. Rooms are clean, supplies are refreshed daily and the staff is friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent three nights in Athens. Actually, we booked the Baby Grand, but due to reconstruction work, the agency proposed the Fresh hotel. We were perfectly happy in this modern and central hotel: rooms are clean and reasonably big. The bath is very nice, the beds rather hard than soft - just as we like it. No noise at all. On top of the building (9th floor), there is a bar which offers a fantastic view over Athens, including Acropolis. The bar prices are rather "international", the pool too small for swimmers. The breakfast buffet is really great with freshly pressed organe juice, lots of fruits, eggs, tomates, meat etc. Just the coffee is the standard "hotel coffee" - you may need to have a real espresso afterwards in the streets. Negative point? Not really found one. Perhaps the pet shop which is 50 meters from the hotel. Just doesn't make you feel good if you see animals (even a little dog) in small boxes waiting to be sold. Ohterwise: Do a one-day trip to the islands (Hydra/Poros/Aegina). You can book it in the hotel (we got it for 90 E instead of 99 E - in town, you get it even cheaper).

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed in Fresh Hotel a total of 4 nights (before and after our trip to Santorini). There is usually 1 attendant at the front desk, having said that, the receptionist is always efficient. He gave us directions, arranged taxi, morning calls etc effectively. Good services!

The food at the roof top restaurant is very good. Similar prices as other touristy restaurants - good services and tasty food.

A side note - watch out taxi drivers in Athens. 35 Euro sign is posted at the airport taxi stand. Going to the city center should cost only 35 Euro. When I got on to the taxi, he asked for 40. I stood firm that it should be 35 as stated on the sign. When we arrived our hotel, I paid him 35 (1- 20 bill, 1-10 bill and 1-5 bill). He swaped my 10 euro bill with a 5 euro bill and claimed that I only paid him 30. We argued a bit and he became very rude. I ended up paying 40 with the driver playing dirty tricks.

Restaurant waiters in Plaka are all out looking ways to get your money. He tried to be super friendly (taking pictures of us/ being funny to spoon feed with me a piece of meat). Yes, Canadians pay at least 15% tips which I did. However, he just walked away and never brought me back the changes. I ended up paying more than 25% tips.

Room Tip: Ask for room on high floors
1  Thank Yuenmama
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Nice hotel within walking distance of main sights, flea market, restaurants and metro. A few minutes from nearest red hop on hop off bus stop to tour all the main tourist areas - good value at buy one day get next free. You can also use the bus at night for a different perspective. We enjoyed walking around the Agora area at night and trying different restaurants and on Sundays they have extra market stalls - it was about 15 minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel was good value, quite modern, lovely breakfasts, great roof top pool, sun loungers, views and we would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple