Fresh Hotel
US$179
US$165
Elvoline
2,194 results
All reviewsrooftop barair loungedesign hotelkorres productscool hotelmeat marketsmall poolfresh orange juicepool decknever felt unsafecentral marketdodgy areabig citywalking distanceomonia squarebreakfast buffethotel is located
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 September 2008

My husband and I stayed here for the last 2 nights of our honeymoon and overall, the Fresh Hotel did not disappoint.

I admit, driving to the hotel in the cab made me question our choice. Having lived and worked in various areas of New York and Baltimore my whole life, I don't really feel apprehensive in urban neighborhoods but I felt uneasy on certain streets surrounding the hotel. The good news is that those streets can be completely avoided by taking alternate routes or by taking a cab.

The Fresh hotel staff was totally attentive and helpful with suggesting restaurants, calling cabs and giving us great directions and tips on safely navigating the neighborhood. Thanks to the staff, we felt absolutely safe and secure going out at night.

The hotel itself is beautiful--very modern with clean lines. We stayed in a superior room and had a very spacious and comfortable room with a huge bathroom and private balcony. Upon arrival we found a bottle of complimentary champagne and snuggly robes and slippers.

Best of all is the Air Lounge on the roof of the hotel which is open from May through November. The roof is the perfect ending to a day of sightseeing, complete with pool, lounge chairs, couches and a bar. It's open until 2 am and we loved coming up here at the end of the day.

Another highlight of the hotel is the complimentary buffet breakfast that offers everything from bacon and eggs to croissants to greek yogurt to fresh squeezed OJ and champagne. You might want to bring sunglasses because the room is super bright but the breakfast is worth it.

Reading the previous reviews made me very aware of the area before I left New York. Please do not let this sway you from booking a room here. This is a city! One should always be aware of the surroundings. But the hotel and the lovely staff made this a memorable stay in Athens. I will definitely return the next time I am in Athens.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissP76
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Myself and my boyfriend spent 3 nights at the Fresh Hotel in mid-September and we really liked it.

The staff were really nice to us at the hotel – all of them, all of the time which is always a plus. The hotel itself has an ultra-modern style that is quite unique. It has a really simple but colourful design to it and little details like fully revolving doors on the toilet cubicles that make it really interesting. The rooms themselves are quite small by normal standards but nicely decorated and comfortable. The only issue I had was the lack of hairdryer, the lack of a shower door (which caused constant floods in the bathroom - more an issue for the cleaners than us) and the fact that the pillows were so thick that I couldn’t sleep on them without having a crick in my neck the next day!! But all in all, these were minor problems. The breakfast was fantastic – everything you could want from cereal to fruit to a full cooked breakfast (and we’re Irish so we know our cooked breakfasts!). Facilities-wise there is apparently a steam room, although we didn’t try it, and free internet access.

There is also an ice bar on the ground floor where the bar, seats, glasses etc. are all made of ice. It’s expensive and you can only go in there for 25 minutes but it’s another quirky aspect to the Hotel. The pièce de résistance, however, is the roof-top terrace bar complete with huge day-beds and table service for drinks and food. It stays open as long as there are enough people to serve which was about 2-2.30am most nights we were there. There is a view of the Acropolis which is amazing when floodlit at night although it is slightly diminished by the building beside the hotel which has two large aerials on it…that seems to be the theme of Athens planning laws from what I could see though! Overall, however, the view is still spectacular. The pool is also on the roof. It’s pretty small and quite cold but since the temperatures in Athens were in the mid thirties for the entire time we were there, it was lovely and refreshing.

Location-wise I think it is probably best to always turn left and left when you come out of the hotel!! We went to the left and then turned right one day and there seemed to be a lot of deals going down with a higher than average number of police around. This didn’t really bother myself or my boyfriend and we still felt safe but really to get to the centre of Athens the quickest way to go is left out the door of the hotel and left towards the Plaka (old town). We timed it and it took about 6-7 minutes on average to walk to the old part of the city. The bottom of the Acropolis is about 10 minutes walk from the Hotel (but another 10-15 to walk to the top). Like other reviews I’ve read we noticed that the area was a red-light district but it was the quietest I’ve ever seen! There were ladies in the ‘hotel’ next to us but they just hung out in the lobby and kept to themselves. It’s not in your face and it doesn’t feel threatening so it didn’t bother us in the slightest. The area around the Fresh Hotel seems to be a trading area for the most part. There are a lot of small shops, stalls and a huge daily fruit, veg and fish market that make the street to the Plaka a busy place during the day and (see above) much quieter at night. It is not really a touristy area but we felt that made it slightly more authentic. It was also extremely close to everywhere we wanted to go.

To get to the Fresh Hotel from the airport is easily done by Metro which is far cheaper, and probably just as quick, as a taxi. The Metro is only €5 one way to/from the airport and takes about 30 minutes. The Metro stop is Monastiraki or Omonia. When you arrive at the Metro stop the Fresh Hotel is a 5 minute walk up the road. You can get a taxi from the airport quite easily also but I can’t see how it is better as it is more expensive and takes just as long. We took a taxi one-way to the Hotel and the Metro the other way and I think the Metro was much better.

I’m not sure of the price of the hotel as I was lucky enough to be brought there for my birthday but an above average price would be more than reasonable for this lovely hotel. It was a comfortable, well located hotel with lovely staff. We would definitely go there again and would definitely recommend it to anyone going to Athens.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2008

This is a very modern and apparently fashionable hotel appointed in bright colors. Service is professional and very competent. Rooms are very comfortable. There is a bar and a small swimming pool on the roof, always full of young people. The hotel is at some distance from the main tourist attractions at the edge of a not-so-nice (but still safe) part of the city. You can walk to Acropol, Plaka, etc., but it takes about half hour.

Our hotel reservation stated that "continental breakfast is included". Don't get fooled. What you get is a great buffet breakfast that has everything from eggs, cheeses and cold cuts to smoked salmon, freshly squeezed juices and even sparkling wine.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2008

We loved every minute of our stay in Athens. The hotel's small but lovely pool makes it such a lovely location to hang out in. The breakfast buffet was fab.

We shall be back and will stay here. The area is being developed but what a great location this hotel's on. Well maintained, great food menu and also a happening place at night at the pool club bar.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 16 September 2008

I arrived into Athens on the Saturday evening... arrived at the hotel approximately 6pm. On first appearances, it's a modern, stylish boutique hotel. Unfortunately when I went to bed at 10pm the lovely couple in the room next to me started to have a shouting & screaming match! I rung hotel reception and told them to send seomeone up which they did the bellboy who once I spoke with did not want to knock on their door! I made him do this with me and the cheek of the guy in the room had a go at me for involving hotel staff!!!

I then went back to my room and by midnight it was hopeless to get any sleep. My room was on a busy street side although I had asked for the quieter side of the hotel when booking it!

I was so tired I went to reception at midnight to ask if there were any free rooms, and I then moved my things then to try and get some form of rest.

Breakfast was also an experience! It was busy the waitress was rude and threw things across the table, when I asked her to clear the table, she was rude and angry towards me and you would hae thought I had asked her to move the earth!

I did not find the hotel staff at all helpful. Infact they couldn't care less as this hotel is always busy! I cancelled my next night's stay and went to the island a day early which was the best decision ever!

This hotel is also on a very dodgy street, with prostitutes lingering with hardly any clothes on! And further down all the Bengali guys hang out.. it's very seedy.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, despite it looks good, don't be fooled the way I was, if you want to get a decent night's sleep and some helpful hotel staff, I suggest you go to another!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo