“THE BEST”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alassia Hotel

Alassia Hotel
Ranked #245 of 325 Hotels in Athens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

Hotel is lovely. Close to the station but the surrounding is not too pleasant. There is a derelict building right opposite. Thought this didn't bother us you have to be a little careful at night. Breakfast at hotel was nice. Lots of variety. The bar in the lobby is fantastic. Very clean hotel, and spacious rooms. Great value for money.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed here twice as part of a Greek Island Hopping package. The hotel is around the corner from Omonia Square and we had no problems walking around at night. Our room was small and well appointed. The reception were friendly and helpful they even found my hat that I had left behind on checking out the first time. Breakfast was OK.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Paphos
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

After arranging our vacation in Greece to the island of Poros, we thought that it would be a good idea to visit Athens for 2 days in order to visit the new Acropolis museum. Checking on the internet, we found that the cheepest price for Alassia Hotel in Athens was through www.bookinhotels.com. The reservation was made at the begining of july, for 2 nights (27th and 28th of July) for 3 single rooms. My credit card was charged immediately. When we arrived at Alassia hotel we found that our reservation was cancelled the previous day. I checked my email and the previous day a mail arrived to me by bookinhotels.com saying that the reservation was cancelled due to financial differences between them and a travel agency in Greece. In addition they suggested me to go to the hotel directly and try to find a room there..!!!! The hotel receptionist at Alassia Hotel was really helpful and he found us rooms for 2 nights but with a more expensive fare than the one we booked and of course we have to pay it at the reception.
I sent them an email asking my money back and they answered me that due to bank procedures this will take more than 2 months. I tried to call them in a number in UK but this was diverted to Konstantinoupolis (Istaboul) with no answer.
I sent them an email saying that as an ex-banker I know that the procedure can only take 3 days to return money to a credit card. They insisted that the money will be on my account in 2 months.
I contacted my bank, visa international and my lawer and they adviced me to give them 1 week and then they will take action. I sent them an email saying all these and their behavior changed. Within a day, they first told me that the money will be in my account in 15 days, then in 7 days and when this was not accepted by me I finally had my money back in 4 days.
The hotel was an average one but in a not so safe location to walk alone during the evening. The staff was friendly and helpful.
DO NOT USE WWW.BOOKINHOTELS.COM

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank Basinas-Cyprus
Cyprus, Limassol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

old, hardly ever renovated hotel. plus bad location.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank masha_k

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

We were told by a travel agent this was a 4-star hotel. What a disappointment! The beds were uncomfortable and the pillows were gross--lumpy and dirty. The bathroom plumbing left something to be desired.

It was 'spring break' while we were there and many students were booked without enough chaperones to keep them under control. This poorly insulated hotel allowed us to hear not only the noise coming from other rooms on our floor, but from the elevator, and from other floors as well. We slept very little in 4 nights with the noise from these school groups and the city location.

The first night our room faced the street and we were awakened by people on the balcony of the vacant building across the street yelling, fighting, and dogs barking. It was frightening! Needless to say, not much sleep on this vacation!

The next morning, we tried to check out, but we had a limited budget and no refund was available since we had booked through a travel agent. We felt stuck. We did request to be moved to an inside room.

The view from our inside room was of a vacant building that people partied in at night--as evidenced by the new stashes of empty beer cans and bottles that appeared on the open window ledges there in the morning. The view from the front of the hotel and the breakfast room was of another vacant building that served as shelter for homeless and rowdy behavior at night.

We learned that Omonia Square is not a safe area--especially at night. Taxis had trouble finding this hotel more than once and the subway from the airport was not fully constructed or open on Sunday evening, so when we arrived it was a harrowing 3 hours getting to the hotel between the subway, city bus, and a taxi for the last two miles.

The only good thing was that the two desk employees were very kind. I felt sorry for them as several times during the four-day stay we witnessed people at the desk checking out and/or demanding a refund for the misery.

• Stayed April 2009
4 Thank Sheila S
Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2008

Me and my girlfriend went to Greece in mid-July and stayed at the Alassia Hotel.
Previous to the departure greek friends told us that the Omonia square and its surroundings have the highest crime rate in Athens (except maybe for the Piraeus port area) but we thought it couldn't be that bad. Well: IT WAS.
The street is very dirty and the hotel overlooks an abandoned building (see picture) where at night people come and go from jumping the fence.

I wouldn't describe myself as the worrying type, but I confess I did not feel safe walking back to hotel after 9PM.
As soon as the shops surrounding the hotel start closing, homeless lie on the sidewalk and groups of people engage in suspicious trades. Not to mention the prostitutes standing at every street's corner.
One night I even saw a woman injecting herself with some type of drug just a few doors' from the hotel's entrance.

Please note that nothing ever happened to me or that I was harassed by anyone, except maybe once for some pocket change.
It's just not nice to walk in that area after dark.

As far as the interior of the hotel, you get what you pay for.
The rooms are small but clean and the AC worked alright. There is daily maid service but the towels are changed every 2 days, so if you leave them on the floor they will just get picked up and folded back on the shelf.
Showers don't work so great and you usually end up getting water all over the bathroom, so better take one in the morning before going out for the day.

If you go to Athens and just want a cheap bed, then the Alassia might work for you. But if you want quality to come with it, then look somewhere else.

• Liked — Rooms were OK
  • Disliked — Almost everything. Avoid the Alassia if possible
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank asgzz