“Nice hotel - bad area”
Review of Alassia Hotel

Alassia Hotel
Ranked #203 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I have stayed in this hotel many many times over the past years!!! The last time was mid September. Its nice hotel but it needs maintenance especially the lift and many of the rooms. The prices are very good, low and affordable. The breakfast needs more variety though as the hotel offers the same breakfast menu for many years now. The rooms are ok with internet access and mini fridge/bar. A kettle to make coffee or tea would have been nice. The A/C was ok for cooling and heating as well. Reception staff was very helpful and the bar staff too.
The hotel is near the metro station and the main bus station which its very convenient. BUT the area the hotel is situated is very bad. Omonia square isn’t so safe anymore especially at nights. During summer is not so bad as it gets darker very late but in winter you have to be very really careful from 6pm! So a night out is very hard unless you get a taxi to pick you up or drop you off in front of the hotel entrance.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank koka-kokina

Reviewed 9 May 2010

I can't blame the Alassia hotel for its location. After all, Omonia was the chic center of Athens some twenty five years ago. This was before it became a magnet to tens of thousands of the squalid, homeless, prostitutes and drug users. I can, however, blame the hotel for the total lack of maintenance in all its rooms. Features like air conditioning and high speed internet do not automatically render a hotel "luxurious". The quality of renovation (especially in the bathrooms) is appalling. I stayed in 4 different rooms during my 12 day stay and they were all depressing. There is not enough lights in the rooms. The lights are of different colors. All rooms are noisy - those that face the main road suffer from car noise, those facing the courtyards from the air conditioners in other rooms.
Housekeeping is very efficient - it takes the ladies 7 minutes to clean and it shows - the windows in all rooms were filthy as the cleaning ladies have no material to clean them.
Breakfast is ok but the breakfast room is as inspiring as the rooms are.
The hotel uses photo shop methods in its website to make the rooms look better. None of the rooms have a carpet. The carpet in the hall hasn't been cleaned for many years. The only two good point about this hotel are the reception staff who are friendly and the fair prices. I paid 56 Euros per night after bargaining.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank Not Your B
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 1 January 2010

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Hotel is lovely. Close to the station but the surrounding is not too pleasant. There is a derelict building right opposite. Thought this didn't bother us you have to be a little careful at night. Breakfast at hotel was nice. Lots of variety. The bar in the lobby is fantastic. Very clean hotel, and spacious rooms. Great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed here twice as part of a Greek Island Hopping package. The hotel is around the corner from Omonia Square and we had no problems walking around at night. Our room was small and well appointed. The reception were friendly and helpful they even found my hat that I had left behind on checking out the first time. Breakfast was OK.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2009

After arranging our vacation in Greece to the island of Poros, we thought that it would be a good idea to visit Athens for 2 days in order to visit the new Acropolis museum. Checking on the internet, we found that the cheepest price for Alassia Hotel in Athens was through www.bookinhotels.com. The reservation was made at the begining of july, for 2 nights (27th and 28th of July) for 3 single rooms. My credit card was charged immediately. When we arrived at Alassia hotel we found that our reservation was cancelled the previous day. I checked my email and the previous day a mail arrived to me by bookinhotels.com saying that the reservation was cancelled due to financial differences between them and a travel agency in Greece. In addition they suggested me to go to the hotel directly and try to find a room there..!!!! The hotel receptionist at Alassia Hotel was really helpful and he found us rooms for 2 nights but with a more expensive fare than the one we booked and of course we have to pay it at the reception.
I sent them an email asking my money back and they answered me that due to bank procedures this will take more than 2 months. I tried to call them in a number in UK but this was diverted to Konstantinoupolis (Istaboul) with no answer.
I sent them an email saying that as an ex-banker I know that the procedure can only take 3 days to return money to a credit card. They insisted that the money will be on my account in 2 months.
I contacted my bank, visa international and my lawer and they adviced me to give them 1 week and then they will take action. I sent them an email saying all these and their behavior changed. Within a day, they first told me that the money will be in my account in 15 days, then in 7 days and when this was not accepted by me I finally had my money back in 4 days.
The hotel was an average one but in a not so safe location to walk alone during the evening. The staff was friendly and helpful.
DO NOT USE WWW.BOOKINHOTELS.COM

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Basinas-Cyprus
Reviewed 24 August 2009

old, hardly ever renovated hotel. plus bad location.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple