“The place to go in Athens”

Athens Beer Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 2,416 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plaka
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at the Amalia Hotel just 2 blocks away. We started down the street looking for a good casual place to eat. No need to look farther than Athens Beer. The area isn't so attractive but is safe. 3 blocks from Syntagma on the way to the Plaka. Salmon was great. Greek salad the best we had in Athens. Ggod sandwiches and not expensive.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had the feta with honey and sesame seeds and my friend had chicken risotto. Both were awesome. We stumbled on this place quite late as we didn't get in until 11:30pm or so from Santorini and were hungry. We were staying near the capital building and there wasn't much open. We ended up walking by Athens Beer and the vibes were so cool, felt like a secret beer garden den and then a look at the menu sold us. We ended up having wine there until 3 or 4 in the morning. For a Westerner who had had so much of the same menu (souvlaki or gyros anyone?) for 4 days, this was a refreshing change that still felt authentic.

1  Thank MollieMogo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

An extensive and pretty interesting list of beers, from several countries. The waiter seemed to be able to provide details on many of them. This place was a very nice surprise.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We really enjoyed our meal. I was pregnant so I was not able to drink but they seemed to know their beer and pairing. The only negative thing which is general to most places was that there was no non-smoking area and everyone around us smoked.

1  Thank td_adventure
Reviewed 26 May 2014

While in Athens at the start of my honeymoon, I was looking for a place to have dinner and try some nice local, Greek beers and Athens Beer was one of the restaurants suggested by my hotel. I'm really glad I went, as they have an extensive beer list that really reflects the owner's passion and knowledge about beer. The owner (Dimitrios, I think) was manning the bar, and he was super friendly/hospitable and took the time to suggest different beers on their list based on my preferences. One of my favorite beers that I tried was the Volkan pilsner, which is brewed in Santorini but often can't be found on the very island it's brewed on (apparently, the triumvrante of Mythos/Newcastle/Amstel more typically dominates the beer scene in Greece, perhaps due to their distribution and price advantages).

The food was excellent as well, and pairs very well with the beers they have (and they have a full bar as well, if you or your companions are looking to drink something other than beer). Also, the atmosphere was great, as there is both indoor and outdoor seating, and a nice large space. One interesting fact that I learned was that the owner and his brother crafted the wood bar and furniture themselves by hand, which further shows how much passion went into creating the restaurant, including the beer and food menu. I will definitely go back to Athens Beer the next time I'm in town, and highly recommend this place for anyone looking for a good meal and excellent brew.

1  Thank Scott H