“great views on the top floor!”
Review of Pella-Inn Hotel

Pella-Inn Hotel
Ranked #17 of 54 Athens B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We traveled to Greece in November of 2010, my girlfriend had already booked a room at the Pella Inn through a travel site before we ever left. After we took the train from the airport into the square and got our bearings the hotel was not hard to find. The polish woman at the counter was very warm and welcoming to us. After checking us in she sent us up to our room to see if we liked it and offered us a key to check out a room on the next floor up. The first room was pretty tiny with just a bed and a sink with a window looking over an alley. It would have been sufficient if you weren't planning on staying more than a night or two. We checked out the next room, I think it was 36 and it was AMAZING! The room had it's own private bathroom and shower with an Acropolis view balcony. It really was only about 10 euro more a night so we took that one instead. I'll have to say the beds are a little uncomfortable so bring a sleeping pad to lay on top of and maybe some ear plugs. While I don't mind the noise there really was a lot coming up from the street at night. I love all the little eateries and shops and the flea market that were in walking distance of the hotel. We found one place we went to for dinner every night we were there that week, except I don't remember the name of the place.
We just happened to get into town the day of some national holiday and all the historical sites were free to get in. Though we were tired from our flight we did most of our historical site touring that day. The local people at the smaller shops were very friendly. One of the men we talked to told us that he was very appreciative that we were there as tourists bringing money in the way their economy was going.
We will more than likely go back one of these days and stay again!

Room Tip: aim for an acropolis facing room. you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank karl w
There are newer reviews for Pella-Inn Hotel

Reviewed 29 September 2011

We chose this place for the great view of the Acropolis and boy did it deliver. We decided to go for the private rooms and stayed there 3 diff nights in 3 diff rooms. I specifically booked room 36 which is a twin private w private bathroom and it was GREAT. We had our private balcony facing the Acropolis. Had a beer and some hookah that night up on the rooftop bar. Close to all the little shops and restaurants too. Staff is nice but a bit too laid back- they did return a forgotten wallet which was very nice!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Esther S
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Average hostel, but we had a hard time sleeping because of a noisy road and restaurant across the road playing very high music. The balcony door did not isolate for sound at all so make sure you bring ear plugs.

Rooms were otherwise OK, with good AC and hot water.

Reception area with wifi and computers to borrow is good.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank swegot
Reviewed 26 July 2011

By far the worst place we stayed on our 3.5 week backpacking trip. Though the hotel is in a good location, everything else about the hotel is horrendous. I wouldn't stay another night here if I was bludgeoned over the head and my unconscious body was left in a room. We should have known that the hotel would be a ratnest from the way they boasted their only award they ever received on their front door - an award for being recognized as a hostel by Let's Go travel in 1999.
The primary reason for the horribleness of this hostel is the manager/receptionist Akos. Besides treating us with complete disrespect from the moment we walked in, there were a few incidents that were unlike anything I've experienced at other hostels. First, as we were confirming our flights on their computers, Akos decided he was going to shut off the Internet to encourage people to drink with him at the rooftop bar. Very mature and helpful. The topper though was when he barrelled into my 6 person room at 2:30 AM questioning why I was sleeping in the room he had given me the key to. Apparently it was an all female room, and as a male, I wasn't supposed to be there. Thank you, Akos.
Overall, abismal stay. Only go here if you'd like a terrible night of sleep and a trust issue with every hotel manager for the rest of your life.

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank balance9
Reviewed 23 June 2011

If you need a bed to sleep in... then just go here. Otherwise, forget it. When I checked in, the guy at the counter was rude and sarcastic. I literally felt like slapping him across the face. Then came the actual receptionist who was just as useless. The rooftop is about the only good thing about this hostel. The rooms are alright, washrooms okay (could be cleaner). Maybe it was my stay but it was a weird crowd. The 5euro deposit for the key is a little ridiculous. It's in a loud and busy area of Athens so bring your ear plugs.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank thristytraveller23
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stayed in this hotel (in our eyes it was a hostel, though; booked it on a hostel-booking website) for four nights in May 2011. We are two students, so we're naturally on a bit of a tight budget, but we "indulged" in booking a private two-bed room with private bathroom. For our money we got a place to sleep, not too clean, but doable. I cannot complain about e.g. dirty towels or a disgusting state of the bathroom. No breakfast was offered. The beds were okay, and I guess I would have slept well if the street outside (Ermou Street) had not been that noisy. It would get especially loud between 2 and 4am, with people shouting and cars blaring music so loudly that even the closed windows wouldn't help. So bring a pair of earplugs if you come. Apart from that, the stay was ok - we were not in the room most of the time, and although it was really warm in Athens during our stay, the air-con worked perfectly.

It is only a very short walk (2-3 minutes) to Monastiraki metro station, and a 15mins walk to Syntagma Square. If you walk into the Thisseion direction, it'll take you 2 minutes to reach an area packed with nice, not overpriced restaurants with a great view of the Acropolis. We spent most of our dinners there.

Very impressive was the full, unobstructed view of the Acropolis (ask for room 36 on this one, it even has a small private balcony from which you can enjoy the view.)

Room Tip: Room 36: the most amazing view, but rather noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank izzy_yeg
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The best thing i can say about this hotel is its location - close to the metro, Monastiraki square and other sights, and right on Ermou street, a busy shopping street and a straight shot down from Syntagma Square if you like that. Nelly, the owner has kind of a gruff personality, but that didn't bother me too much. I was still able to make friendly chit chat with her and got what i needed. The rooms are small and definitely no frills but that didn't bother me too much either. My biggest complaint about the hotel is that it wasn't clean, which for me is critical when you are sharing bathrooms with other people in the hotel. I stayed here because as a solo traveler I was looking to save a little money, but next time around I would probably spend a little more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo