“The location and the rate of the hotel was great..”
Review of Economy Hotel

Economy Hotel
Ranked #71 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We liked the friendliness and competence of the staff.
When we first arrived, we were given a handy map and lots of information about what to see. The staff asked if we needed anything or had any questions when going out the main door - all without really being asked.
Excellent location, next to the City hall in walking distance to the top sites of Athens. walking distance to Monastiraki square. Very handy to metro, close to the market for shopping. The open top, tour bus (hop on – hop off) stops few meters away (station: City Hall) and can take you to all the atractions.
Quite a nice breakfast, especially the Greek yoghurt and was included in the rate, though no hot food beyond toast
The rooms were very decent and clean, in a low price.
The wifi is cheap, 3 € a day or 2€ for 12 hours, they also have a p/c for internet use free of charge.
The hotel has a wonderful roof-deck with a view. From there you can see the Acropolis, Likavitos Hill and you have a nice view (especially at night) over a big part of the city.
Would highly recommend this hotel to others and would come back again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank nicole w

Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is my second stay at this hotel having last stayed in Sept 2010. I was on my way back from Crete and wanted a base for some day trips beyond Athens. This is a budget hotel and all I needed was a clean room, bed and shower, which I got. The staff were still as helpful and friendly as last year and especially with guests had to go to the airport on the "strike"days.
I was on the 8th floor at the rear, the A/C had been improved on since last year. Instead of the hotel internal system this was one of the wall mounted with hand held controls(an improvement). During the day the area around is OK but in the evening looks a bit more rundown than last year and I was never out late at night.
From the airport I took the Metro to Monastriaki and walked up Athinas St from there, rather than the shorter walk from Omonia. ISee my metro comments. jimb073

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank jimb073
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My daughter and I had to spend a night in Athens and booked this hotel, because it was cheap and central. We expected a very basic place. However, we were pleasantly surprised at this lovely, friendly place, the great location and the amazing price, which even included breakfast. It was spotlessly clean, spacy, comfortable and had even a balcony. The Hotel is central to all sights and to lots of lovely restaurants. The staff was incredibly friendly, and could not have done more for us. Thank you to the lovely staff, and well done to the Hotel management for running such a brilliant place!

Room Tip: Apparently, the room we stayed in was the best room - 805
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank karinswhite
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I stayed on the front end and back end of a trip to the Greek Islands in the Economy Hotel in Athens in September/October 2011. The reviews I saw on Trip Advisor led me to believe the property was good, just the area was questionable. That is an understatement. The Hotel is tired and old. Not much works properly, i.e. air conditioning, television, lights out in the bathroom. The area where the hotel is located is scary........dirty, graffiti ridden. As a woman alone, I was not comfortable walking either day or night. I know there are good values in other areas of Athens closer to the Plaka. This one is just not worth saving a few eros.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank ClaireDB
Reviewed 5 October 2011

------------

I stayed at Hotel Economy in Athens Greece. Its located in the center of the city about a 10 min walk from the Plaka and a 20 min walk from the Acropolis. Almost all areas around the city center of Athens are run down and "shady" so if you make sure your flights/cruise ships leave at a reasonable time and your not travelling at all odd hours of the night you should be safe :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ramona A
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Really great value hotel. Nice rooms with balconies, great breakfast spread, clean, helpful staff - brilliant. Only negative is slightly dodgy red light district round the corner. Wouldn't notice during day but bit intimidating at night. Absolutely no worries if you approach from City Hall Square. Easy walking distance to main sights and Metro.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Ben1982Manchester
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My wife and I struggled with all of the reviews before we actually booked this hotel. There was the normal differences in opinion. Since we have lived in both the US and Germany, we understand the differences in the 'stereotypical' expectations of the average North American vs. European traveller.

First and foremost: we were extremely happy with our stay. The staff was EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. You have to give the key to the front desk before you leave...and we only had to give our name and room number to a person ONCE. They remembered us from there.

When we are doing city touring, our expectations are a clean, safe, mostly quiet hotel that we can use as a launching pad for sightseeing. We only expect to sleep in the hotel.

This hotel definitely met those expectations. Yes, the walls seemed to be rather thin at 8am, the bathroom was Euro tiny, and even after almost a decade living in Europe, I still hate the split bed and separate comforters. I want to CUDDLE with my wife ;-) not cocoon myself in a down comforter. There were many comments regarding safety, drug use, and prostitution. I've been in a lot of major cities in the world, and Athens is no different than virtually any downtown large city.

Yes, the downtown area near the hotel seemed rather run down outside of the main streets, but the city is over 2500 years old. Granted, the level of 'run down, drugs, and prostitution' that we saw would be scary in New York...but it seems a bit safer in Athens. I can't really explain why. We didn't see open, illicit drug use, but there was prosititution. I can get over that if I can save 150EUR a night.

If you are used to a Hilton or Marriott in the US and want this level...don't stay here. Go down the street and spend the 200EUR.

If you want a basic place, with friendly, clean (yet basic) services, this is a great use of our travel budget. You can spend your money on more important things.

I hope you find my review (and rambling) helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple