“Hotel Melia in Athens”
Review of Melia Athens

Melia Athens
Ranked #33 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Experience at Hotel Melia was great as it was right situated in the center of the city of Athens and all the street markets and restaurants were approachable. The Front Desk and Restaurant serves great Hospitality. Top Floor has a Cafe - Bar with Swimming Pool and gives a great view of the Acropolis. Do visit the shop just opposite to the Hotel which gives a wide range to buy Leather bags, purses and Shoes.

Room Tip: Rooms can be chosen at any floor and on any side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rashi N
meliaathens, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Rashi-N-T,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens and also for taking the time to share with us your thoughts through Trip Advisor.

We were very glad to read that your experience at our hotel was positive and do hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again.

Eftychia Koutsagoulaki
Guest Experience Manager – Melia Athens

Write a ReviewReviews (2,152)

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have never been to Greece nor to Athens, so I cannot compare other Athens' hotels. But I can compare this Melia property to other once I have stayed over the last decade.
As a Platinum Melia member, I chose this hotel, due to interesting reviews on this site, and because to its central location. And must say I was disappointed. Nothing looked like on the photos submitted by the management to Tripadvisor. Moreover, some of the sites were closed down or not really up to Melia standards.

I was upgraded to Supreme room, but once I saw the room, I asked myself how the standard rooms looked like.
The room itself was just OK. Nothing special. Comfy bed and this was it. All the rest was just regular; the room smelled and did not looked fresh as I am used to it, the towels were not crispy white, they were grey, the room was not properly cleaned (stains on the sheets, but were changed after I called the front desk), the towels were changed as for 1 person (I paid a double room), the bathroom floor was dirty with stains, what could be observed with lights on and with no ameneties (just champoo and soap) the TV was OK, but some chanells were disconnecting all the time and the dirty glasses were not removed nor cleaned. The mini bar was not replenished on everyday basis, and the curtains were dirty too. The TV remote was so dirty I had to use a refreshing towel to wipe it off before I could possibly use it.

The rooftop terrace was closed and could not see the city (I know the winter may be the cause but...), the sauna and steam room were open but you needed to ask for a visit, so they could turn on the both saunas?

The Business centre was 2,50 eur for the Internet and also for fotocopies or printing.

The breakfast was regular, nothing special, only one person serving, so I belive the service offered was low cost. The breakfast room was as in many London hotels (with ugly 80-ies chairs and tables and the floor was a kind of "tapison"(carpet)

The good side was a very central location (not nice area) but safe, within walking distance to all major attractions, the staff who strived to fulfil my wishes, the welcome gift-an excellent baklava with honey and a 1 bottle of water, placed on my table everyday.
The last night several spots of water pouring from the A/C were found, what caused a bit of concern, but was arranged and repaired the next morning.

The final verdict is: Just a nice 3* hotel, more like a Novotel or Tryp style and for Melia I expected a little more, especially a little better attention to detail (maintenance, fixation, dust....)

In my opinion, a lot has to be done, that this property could shine with 4 stars.

Room Tip: Go for a inside room, as heavy traffic outside could make you a difficult night
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Ludwig70
meliaathens, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Ludwig70,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens during your stay in Athens and also thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments.

We were sorry to read that your overall experience did not meet your expectations, as the Melia Athens team has a passion for service.

Nonetheless, please allow me to apologize for any disappointment caused. Please be assured that all your comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments for review.

Thank you once more for choosing Melia Athens.

Eftychia Koutsagoulaki
Guest Experience Manager-Melia Athens

Reviewed 28 January 2014

i had the chance to stay at melia hotel on 25th of january 2014
the service was excellent
i went early in the morning and they found me immediately a room
the room was clean and comfortable
the hotel offers 24h room service!
i paid 65 euros / the breakfast is not included
the good thing is that the hotel is very close to omonia square and the main metro station
you can even walk to the syntagma square !!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
meliaathens, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear greekthess,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens and also for taking the time to share with all with us your thoughts through Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Wonderful hotel; rooms and bathrooms are very nice and comfortable. Free, clean and cozy healthy club with sauna, gym and turkish bath. Staff is very kind and always helpful. Breakfast is a bit expensive but good, copious and at a quality level. Unfortunately there is no a great view since the hotel is in the centre but the area is safe and dynamic. The only flaw I would point out is the presence of connecting doors in-between rooms which, of course, makes the proximity more noisy. But it's almost insignificant if your neighbours are not a punk band

Room Tip: Higher the room, lesser the noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlakValsir
meliaathens, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear AlakValsi,

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Melia Athens is very nice, clean and convenient hotel to stay once in Athens. Location is good, breakfast of fine quality and service efficient. They offered me a free room upgrade upon arrival and all the info needed about the facilities of the hotel and the area. Highly recommended either for business or pleasure trips in town!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 415, sunny, clean and of a good size!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dimitris A
Natasha G, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Dimitris,

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Located near the city centre, well connected to metro and all
My EXPIRIENCE
right from the time i entered the hotel with my family( my wife and my parents) literally trying to drag my luggage inside. Upon asking for a bellboy I was told in an elaborate way " If I had a bellboy I would give you BUT I DONT HAVE ONE." Great we had to drag our luggage to our rooms. No complimentary bottle of water was provided. On asking i was told to become a member only then would i get and that too only once during stay...tea and coffee facilties were at 5 euros per day extra. Simple things like delivering a toothbrush kit , clearing plates from the room were chargeable at 1 euro each time...on revolting literally they decided not to charge me..the hotel is simply not worth the money. My advice go to some other hotel in syntagma square.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank dramitpande

Dear dramitpan,

Please be assured that all our guests’ comments are reviewed so as to be able to take necessary steps in improving our services and facilities.

Thank you once more for choosing Melia Athens.

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

It was fantastic. The perfect room with the perfect staff. Only stayed there for one night but i would love to stay more if i had more time. Its located in the center of athens only 5 minutes from a metro stop. The hotel can provide u with anything you want and the information that you will need. The bed was excellent propably one of the best sleeps i ever had!! It should be a 5 stars hotel!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Demos A
Natasha G, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Demos A,