“Quarky, out of the ordinary hotel”

Pallas Athena Grecotel Boutique Hotel
Ranked #13 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Los Angeles
“Quarky, out of the ordinary hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

Who ever redesigned this hotel has a lot of style. The hotel looks and feels new(inside and outside). The entry floor (from the street) has a jungle motif complete with stuffed orangutan. I found the whole presentation fun. The second floor is where the check in desk is located. Their check in desk...a mini cooper ! someone literally converted a mini cooper into a desk, the trunk and hood function as storage space...very creative.

This goes under the catagory of "what can you do". The elevator is tiny. It barely fits two people and their luggage. However if you're feeling claustrophobic, the staff will be happy to take your luggage to your room(in general I don't like parting with my luggage)

I booked the junior suite twin. The room was also quarky, in terms of the art work on the walls and the presenation of the room. There was a stuff tiger on the bed ! All in good fun !

The room itself was spacious, it had two closets, the bathroom was spacious with a huge bathtub. The room had lots of amenities. It faced the street and it wasn't noisey, though were were on the seventh floor and we stayed there on a Sunday.

The service of the hotel staff was good...let me count the ways. I asked for a converter, I lost mine, and they came to my room and gave me one right away. I asked for an early check out, because my flight was leaving very early, and they did that without hassel. They called me a taxi and it was waiting for me when I turned in the key . Lastly, they gave me good advise on how to get to the sites, complete with map !

I didn't get a chance to partake in the lounge or the breakfast, we were out too late and left too early so I don't have an opinion about that part of the hotel.

I stayed at another hotel during my visit to Athens(see my other review) and there is a world of difference. Of course the price is vastly different as well. Is this place over priced? I don't think so...is it pricey yes...relative to the other hotel but if I were in the states, it's the kind of place that I'd want to stay.
It is near a subway and it's located on a street that will take you straight to the Acropolis, if you wanted to walk.

Overall a quarky, out of the ordinary hotel that I would recommend. If I were to visit Athens again, this would be my first choice.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank sunking1899

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

We got a very good deal for this hotel on lastminute.com and were pleased with our stay. I think if we had paid for a five-star hotel and were expecting a five-star hotel we would have been disappointed. This is definitely more a four-star! As it was, we felt we got good value for money.

We'd read the reviews in advance and knew the area wasn't the best. To be honest, it wasn't actually that bad. If you've lived in a city before you won't be shocked. Just keep your valuables close, walk with a purpose and don't walk alone at night. We used the Omonia subway a lot and it was absolutely fine. Don't let that deter you.

We got two graffiti rooms, both with a jungle theme, and they were very funky. The rooms are quite small, and the bathrooms are more three-star than five-star! Our bathroom door wouldn't close properly, which we told reception about and they fixed it very promptly. The shower door also leaked heavily, which they wouldn't fix and just promised extra towels (which we didn't get).

The check-in staff were very friendly and efficient. Breakfast is extremely expensive at €22 - just go to the local Everest around the corner instead! The downstairs lobby is funky with foliage and orangutans, and the reception is very cool with two Minis.

I'd recommend this hotel if you are young (or young at heart), used to city living and prepared for a three to four star hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marte P
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

Hello,
My husband and I stayed at the Baby Grand for a total of 4 nights. The staff was friendly, the rooms very clean, nice balcony. Downsides - balcony looked over a half vacant office building with broken windows, and the neighborhood was a tad on the shady side. Omonia Square (closest subway stop) was very questionable at night. The subway stop in the opposite direction, Monistaraki, was in a much nicer area but a farther walk. Overall a very good experience, I would recommend this hotel to others (loved the decor, staff and rooms) but would advise women to not walk around the area alone at night.

2 Thank zoogirl416
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

The decor is what attracted us in booking this hotel - the website shows walls painted with spiderman! The room we actually got did not have any spiderman but was artistically painted. Mini's at the reception are cool too!

Other positives:
- The room is clean - I'm quite fussy with cleanliness and I give it full marks!
- Breakfast was great, you can get freshly squeeze orange juice out of a machine - all you need to do is pop a few oranges into a machine!
- Central location (although it's near Omonia, it didn't feel unsafe even at night)
- Walking distance to some historic sites

Negatives:
- only two lifts and one was out of order, so had to wait for ages!

2 Thank happyteddybear
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

Hotel was good. but morning b'fast is same everyday and no change. The hotel near to metro and walkable distance to tourist spot.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Huntington Beach, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

Well lets just say when we saw the street the hotel was located on we were a little worried. Not to worry though, the hotel is very comfortable, the staff is extremely helpful, the air conditioning actually works and there is a great outdoor swapmeet down the street with a nice view of the Acroplis. If you are taking the double decker bus tour you will be happy to know there is a drop off right in front of the hotel. Also, if you take the bus from the airport to Snytagma Square you can catch the double decker bus across the street from the bus stop and your ticket will be good for 24 hours of sightseeing and again you will be dropped off in front of your hotel and not have to pay for a taxi.

They do have a pool and spa but you have to pay 20 euro.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank wilsonjulie884
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

The people were nice, particularly the waitress who served us most of the time we were there, and the food was simple and tasty. The room was just kind of OK, though the wall murals were fun. Seriously overpriced for the level of service (no help with bags, teeny tiny elevators--when we checked out, my boyfriend got in the elevator with our bags and I took the stairs), and condition (peeling wallpaper, scarred tub). Central, an easy walk to the Acropolis, but not much in the way of atmosphere in the immediate neighborhood.