“Good quality and great location”
Review of Arion Athens Hotel

Arion Athens Hotel
Ranked #30 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It is located near Psiri, and is functional to go around Athens from Monastiraki to the Acropolis by foot. The price/benefit is quite good. The rooms are small, clean and basic, seems that was renovated recently. The view from the rooftop is spectacular and the hotel allows bringing your drinks and food to enjoy it. If you like the Ibis style, you will appreciate it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I only stayed for a very short while, on a layover in Athens, but I liked it so much that I really wished I had stayed longer. My flight to Athens was unfortunately delayed so I got even less time at the hotel than planned, but reception is open throughout the night and checking in and out was no problem at all.

The hotel is centrally located, very easy to reach from Syntagma square if you just follow the streets to Monastiraki, it took me less than 10 minutes to get there on foot. It's true that the houses around it are very run down and the walls covered in graffiti, you'd think it's dangerous, but I walked by myself at both 2 and 5 in the morning and felt perfectly safe, because it's so close to areas where there are restaurants and crowds.

It's got modern decor, it's very clean and comfortable. My bed was actually quite hard, which to be honest I prefer because it's much better for the back. The shower was great, hot water with great pressure and towels and toiletries provided. The view from my room was not particularly inspiring, but on a budget and on the first floor in the neighborhood it's bound to happen that you get the shaft, besides you're not there to spend time in the room. It was also very quiet, I didn't hear anyone else or any noise coming from the other rooms.

Internet worked perfectly, there was a TV in the room and air conditioning.
I didn't have the time to eat breakfast or check the view from the rooftop terrace, it's closed at night, but judging from the location, I do believe it's great.

I did the mistake of booking this for a layover, it doesn't really work if your layover is just 8 hours, because getting into Athens from the airport will take you about one hour. You will spend more time on the road than at the hotel. But for a longer stay in Athens I could definitely recommend this and I'm looking forward to going back, I was very pleasantly surprised by it and the lively area of Monastiraki.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a nice view, get rooms on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a simple hotel with spacious, clean rooms. Checking in and out was efficient and wi-fi is available throughout. Breakfast was self-service with sufficient variety. I rarely stay in the centre of Athens, but I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Alison W
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed in this place last year, I had a 1 night stay in July 2013. The rooms are spacious overlooking town. Mine was on the 4th floor. Rooms are soundproof, bathroom is very beautiful, modern, has glass doors. Location is not perfect, but it's easy to find if you have a map. Not more than 5 minutes to metro. For the price they charge it's very very good! Would recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stavros P
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Pros: clean room, friendly staff, great view of the Parthenon, good value for money, good location (in a way)--close to narrow streets with restaurants and nightlife
Cons: terrible/uncomfortable beds, bad, leaky shower with useless curtain, bad location (in a way)--nearly impossible to find and kind of dicey at night.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view of the Parthenon--it's beautiful during the day and at night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I booked and paid for the Hotel Achilleas (another hotel in the four hotel Group) away back in Jan 2014 and on 10th June the day I was leaving Kefalonia I received e-mails from two friends who had flown from England on 9th June and on arrival at the Hotel Achilleas at 10pm they had no rooms due to the hotel being over-booked and they were transferred to Arion Athens Hotel. I received no intimations or apology from Hotel Achilleas for the actions taken.

Arriving at Arion Athens Hotel I was not a "happy bunny" as the action taken by the Group is just not right, no matter what excuses or apologies that are made. However we did sort out recompense.

I enjoyed my stay in the hotel. My room was comfortable, very clean and had all the facilities I needed, including a fridge. Wi-Fi was free with a good signal. Views across the City from the 7th floor balcony (see photo) were very special. I enjoyed the buffet breakfast. The staff were excellent, obliging, knowledgeable and helpful. Here I single out Stavros Nikitopoulos on reception - ultra cool and relaxed at all times with nothing being a problem.

A good location in Psiri and a five minute walk from Monastiraki Metro station (once you find your bearings!!). Thus all central attractions are near and you have the Metro to take you to the airport (Euros 8) and to the coast (Daily pass - Euros 4). Many restaurants and bars are all around.

A bustling and diverse City with a delightful clash of present with many historic sites that span four millennia. Do not miss out on this City.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 7th floor as the door to the balcony makes an "un-necessary" closing no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fraser M
Reviewed 23 June 2014

During our three night stay at the Arion, we experienced outstanding service from four young men: Alfred Serpetopoulos, Nikolaus Karagiannides, Stavros Niuitopoulos, and Poli Fratzeskakis. Alfred directed our travel group to a fabulous restaurant. He gave us a list of his favorite dishes that we might like to order. We had such fun at the restaurant and took our leftovers back to him. Nikolaus, Stavros, and Poli, provided exemplary service, support, and help during our stay, and in seeking medical help for my husband. They were the best team ever, and I will never forget what they did for us. What a wonderful asset for the Arion to have these young men on their staff. Thank you from the Hadas.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family