“THE BEST OVERALL”

Ranked #30 of 326 Hotels in Athens
New York City, New York
“THE BEST OVERALL”
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for four days and it was tremendous value for the money.
Beautiful view of the Acropolis,rooftop open to all to bring some wine and cheese for the afternoon sun.
Location could not be better . Walking distance to all that Athens has to offer. Staff were very friendly and the area is very safe .
When I need to stay in center of Athens this will be my choice again .

Stayed May 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

i stayed at the Central Athens Hotel in November 2011 so this review is a little dated but I hope still relevevant. I stayed here for two nights on business. I did struggle to find the hotel when we arrived in the evening but only because there was a strike and our train stopped at a different station but we got there in the end!

The lobby and room was very clean and fresh looking, a nice powerful shower and plenty of space for luggage and hanging clothes.

The wifi was not free in the room, I paid to have this and connected through a wire but it wasn't too much of a problem.

I stayed on my own in the room, but if I'd been with anyone else I may have been a little put off by the frosted bathroom wall(?) and the door to the bathroom doesn't go right down to the bottom. Maybe a little off putting for some but as I said I was on my own so not a problem.

Breakfast was nice and views from the rooftop fantastic. There were protests going on when I stayed but I felt very safe staying here.

I would stay here again whilst on business and if I come with my family I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I did a lot of research before coming to Athens and ended up booking Central Athens Hotel because of its price, location, and breakfast. We took the train from the airport to Syntagma square and the walk from the station to the hotel is probably 5 minutes. So close! We walked all over Plaka, to the Acropolis, and to the Parliament building with no problems at all. Breakfast consists of yogurt, fruit and a few pastries- just enough to hold you off until lunch. The front desk even gave us the name of this great restaurant that gave us a complitmentary bottle of wine to take with us! I would definitely recommend staying here if you are looking for a nice, clean hotel that is pretty cheap with a nice rooftop bar area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My friend & I just returned from 3 nights at the Central Athens Hotel. We had a great stay, Hotel is very clean, & the location is perfect!!!! 2 minutes from the beautiful historical streets of Plaka, shops and tavernas......what more could you want? We also found it easy to walk to the acropolis & other areas without getting a Metro (but we are girls in our 20's)
Breakfast was good fresh food and filled us up for the day.
It was a shame the rooftop bar is under refurb ,however you can still sit up there with your own Wine and enjoy the amazing views of Athens.....which took our break away.

We also found the lady on reception very unhelpful!! when booking trips and giving us advice was too much trouble for her, so we booked our delphi and island tours from another hotel where the reception were more helpful.
But Overall........great value and location and Athens is a wonderful city, friendly locals, delicious food and many hisorical site to see.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank bluemartini349
Mieussy
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Minutes walk from all the restaurants & close to the Acropolis, museum, & central square for the bus or metro to/from the airport & port. Friendly night desk - I arrived at 01:30. View from back windows to the Acropolis is a nice extra.
Breakfast basic - no bacon :( - but acceptable given proximity of alternatives. Shame rooftop bar wasn't open.
Best of all is the neighbouring selection of shops selling specialist religious clothes & paraphernalia but then maybe that's just me. Hope to stay there on last night & purchase a cassock or two.

• Stayed April 2012
Bristol, England
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a great hotel in central Athens which we (family of 5) stayed in for 2 nights on our way home after 2 weeks on Agistri island. It's a very shiny, businesslike and yes, characterless hotel - but it was spotless, efficient and comfortable. It's main attractions are it's location in the Plaka district 5 minutes from all the shops, restaurants and bars and within walking distance of most tourist attractions. The price is reasonable but certainly not backpacker-cheap. It also has a great rooftop bar with jacuzzi with amazing views of the Acropolis, especially at night when it's all lit up and best enjoyed with a room-service beer in hand! So would I stay here again? Well, I would probably try to find something in the same area a bit more funky next time, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up here again - it's only a hotel after all, and you don't go to Athens to stay in your room. And I would certainly prefer to stay at the Central Hotel than a more characterful hotel further away from the city center.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Due to a strike, we had to rearrange our trip a bit. As such, we spent three nights in Athens at three different hotels. We found much better values at two other hotels in the vicinity.

The location is pretty good, a quite street on the eastern end of the Plaka neighborhood. The room was very bland. The whole place wreaked of smoke. The staff didn't seem terribly knowledgeable; we found the reception at other locations much better. Overall, this is probably closer to a "two star" budget-type hotel.

I would stay here again, but I would also recommend looking closely at other higher rated hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple