Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 June 2017

My experience with this hotel was not very good, however, I would like to be very fair and explain the reasoning for my rating.

I had planned a week-long trip to Greece, and was going to stay in Athens, as it is the central location for most of the things that I wanted to do while I was there. First off, decent hotels in Athens are very difficult to find unless you want to break the bank; if you want comfort and security, you will surely pay for it in Athens.

I looked at the reviews of this hotel, and after reading a fairly lot of good reviews, along with noticing that it was strategically located near the National Archaeological Museum, a train station, AND was a low price, I decided to chance this one. After all, the pictures make the hotel look fairly nice, and in an okay area.

I arrived late at night, as my plane was delayed. I took a taxi from the airport to Athens Moka hotel, and to be completely honest, my first thought, looking at the place was "This had to be a scam". The whole ground level of the hotel was boarded up and covered in graffiti.

The area around the hotel is very sketchy; homeless people and miscreants walk the streets day and night, and many of the stores are boarded up and abandoned, making for a lot of "walking through dark abandoned alleys". During the day, you should be fine as long as you are being careful and using basic street smarts, but I would NOT walk around the area after dark. Gangs are in the area, staking out easy targets and waiting to rob them or worse.

On one occasion, I found myself being followed by a gang when I had stayed out a little too late, and they followed me, taking every turn I took, and crossing the street when and where I did. Luckily, I was able to get back to the hotel before anything happened (as this happened close to the hotel), but the experience advised me to be very cautious in the area, particularly if you are traveling alone.

The room itself is very small, although that did not bother me; for one person, there is plenty of room. However, there is a very strong and unpleasant smell of mold and something else that I couldn't identify. Even after my room was "cleaned", the smell remained, and when I returned home from Greece, I found that my clothes had been permeated with this smell. A thorough wash will get the smell out though.

Although the air conditioner worked, I could tell that it was very close to breaking, as it transitioned from producing a clicking sound, to sounding like a lawnmower. More than once the noise woke me up in the middle of the night and I had to turn it off, which made the room heat up very fast.

The room also had an issue with bugs. I had my towel on the desk across from my bed along with other toiletries, and when I went to pick the towel up to take my shower, I noticed that the bottom of it was crawling with ants (keep in mind that it wasn't even on the floor).

The hotel is on the corner of two main streets that are always very busy and loud no matter what time of day or night, so the noise can keep you up, although this can hardly be helped by the hotel.

There is a walk-out balcony which is always nice to have in a hotel room. However, the view is not very nice; you will be looking out onto the main street and right into other people's apartments (there is an apartment building directly across from the hotel). Again, this view can't be helped by the hotel.

There is a mini-fridge in the room that worked great, and it was a nice convenience to have, as you could always have cold water, or keep food cold. There was also a very small TV that worked (it's very difficult to figure out the controllers), and although most available channels were in Greek, there were a few in English.

The hotel staff is very nice; they helped me a lot by frequently giving me directions to places that I needed to go, advice for walking through the city/taking a ferry to some of the Greek islands. They even loaned me an American to European converter for my phone charger for the duration of my stay, as I had forgotten to bring one. When it was time for me to check out, they arranged for a taxi to pick me up/bring me to the airport, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it; this was much appreciated.

Bottom line: I would not stay here again, even with the appeal of a lower price and an ideal location in the city. But as long as you know what to expect, and use a lot of caution in the surrounding area, staying here could save you a little more money that you could be putting to good use for other parts of your vacation/visit.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Writers-Haven
Reviewed 14 December 2016 via mobile

Room was just fine for the price, location is pretty central and staff were helpful. We didn't experience any trouble in the local area, day or night.

Bed was a little hard and uncomfortable but this is my personal preference.

Didn't have the breakfast but there were lots of food options around.

Moka is a good base if you're looking for somewhere on a budget.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank rach482
Reviewed 25 November 2016

Very nice, helpful staff. Near everything you need: supermarkets, bus stations, subway, Architecture museum, bakeries, coffee. Fridge in room! And you can use kettle in lounge all night long! Extremely clean room, great balcony, hot hot shower. Nothing to complain about at all. The price is right. Fine neighborhood, perfectly safe at all hours. Don't believe the horror stories, Omonoia is just like any other city round the world. Tons of food around hotel always open. Omonoia plaza has great, cheap fast food and subway. Life can't be better here. And heat!! Nice hot room, I LOVED it!! Slept VERY well. Nice quiet place.

Room tip: It's all great! Even if you face the front, it's quiet. Can't go wrong here.
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank KillerRabbit
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

The default pictures of this hotel were a joke. Our stay was in room 36. Upon arrival on the 3rd floor, the hallway light didnt work and the hallway smelled of musty old cigarette smoke.

Our room was the last at a special rate and an impulse stay instead of hotelling closer to the airport.

Our room itself smelled of musty air and mold. Our bathroom cutain and wall had mold and the beds looked to have had unchanged sheets. We requested a full size bed and instead received 2 coffin size beds. The sheets smelled and the floor felt uncomfortable to walk on without sandals.

Im not sure how so many are giving this hotel even half decent reviews. Maybe we just got the pick of the litter because booked the special rate.

Place is a dump. Bottom line.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank r0bk1983
Reviewed 10 September 2016

This is not a hotel you'd book if you are looking for a high quality hotel experience. But, if you are travelling and would prefer to save a few Euros which could be put to better use elsewhere this is a good pick.

The rooms have no frills but they are clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful, I was most impressed by them. The breakfast is very bland, but it's free and if you are a foodie like me then head out and find something better.

The Hotel advertises that it has a bar, but when I asked I was told, no, no bar. That was a little annoying. otherwise, you can buy beer at the front desk for 1 Euro, awesome deal.

I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a good place to stay on a budget. It is close to the Archaeological Museum and to the center of the city.

• Trip type: Travelled solo