Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Pros:
- good price
- good location, close to metro Omonia
- small but cosy balcony (if you book a room with a balcony)

Cons:
- the surrounding area looks like a bad neighbourhood, which includes dirty possibly abandoned buildings, suspicious characters roaming the streets, locals tending to looks as though there have been out of work for years
- old stuff in the room, some outlets falling out of the wall

You're most probably going to be just fine if you decide to stay at this hotel but be careful if you go out at night (avoid side streets).

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank junk_penguin
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Good location and room for the money. If you're expecting something super ritzy, maybe reconsider. It was clean, the air conditioner worked well, I didn't have any issues with noise level, and I found the staff to be very helpful. Well located in proximity to Omonoia station.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Cana M
Reviewed 4 July 2017

I stayed in hotel moka from june the 13th to june the 20th & its a decent hotel! it has a lift & the reception is open 24 hours, Also theres a small fridge that's sells soda/cans of beer, The staff were ok, & the room itself was big with an ensuite/wide screen tv, I only paid 227 euros for 7 nights so it was ok pricewise, Would i go back? yea i would go back, The area was a little shabby with graffiti/boarded up shops & fly posters but the hotel was alright, & The main square (syntagma) was only around 15 mins walking time from the hotel.

Room tip: Don't have a room by the main road! it can be a bit noisy
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Darren D
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We had a fair stay at the hotel, very minimal ok value 4 money. In one of the night we arrived late to the hotel after midnight tiered and a bit tipsy, all we wanted is to go to bed, receptionist George forced us aggressively and unfriendly to pay for our stay, we told him we will do it in the morning and not at 12:30am when we want to go to bad, he was very aggressive & insisted we do it on the spot.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2017

My experience with this hotel was not very good, however, I would like to be very fair and explain the reasoning for my rating.

I had planned a week-long trip to Greece, and was going to stay in Athens, as it is the central location for most of the things that I wanted to do while I was there. First off, decent hotels in Athens are very difficult to find unless you want to break the bank; if you want comfort and security, you will surely pay for it in Athens.

I looked at the reviews of this hotel, and after reading a fairly lot of good reviews, along with noticing that it was strategically located near the National Archaeological Museum, a train station, AND was a low price, I decided to chance this one. After all, the pictures make the hotel look fairly nice, and in an okay area.

I arrived late at night, as my plane was delayed. I took a taxi from the airport to Athens Moka hotel, and to be completely honest, my first thought, looking at the place was "This had to be a scam". The whole ground level of the hotel was boarded up and covered in graffiti.

The area around the hotel is very sketchy; homeless people and miscreants walk the streets day and night, and many of the stores are boarded up and abandoned, making for a lot of "walking through dark abandoned alleys". During the day, you should be fine as long as you are being careful and using basic street smarts, but I would NOT walk around the area after dark. Gangs are in the area, staking out easy targets and waiting to rob them or worse.

On one occasion, I found myself being followed by a gang when I had stayed out a little too late, and they followed me, taking every turn I took, and crossing the street when and where I did. Luckily, I was able to get back to the hotel before anything happened (as this happened close to the hotel), but the experience advised me to be very cautious in the area, particularly if you are traveling alone.

The room itself is very small, although that did not bother me; for one person, there is plenty of room. However, there is a very strong and unpleasant smell of mold and something else that I couldn't identify. Even after my room was "cleaned", the smell remained, and when I returned home from Greece, I found that my clothes had been permeated with this smell. A thorough wash will get the smell out though.

Although the air conditioner worked, I could tell that it was very close to breaking, as it transitioned from producing a clicking sound, to sounding like a lawnmower. More than once the noise woke me up in the middle of the night and I had to turn it off, which made the room heat up very fast.

The room also had an issue with bugs. I had my towel on the desk across from my bed along with other toiletries, and when I went to pick the towel up to take my shower, I noticed that the bottom of it was crawling with ants (keep in mind that it wasn't even on the floor).

The hotel is on the corner of two main streets that are always very busy and loud no matter what time of day or night, so the noise can keep you up, although this can hardly be helped by the hotel.

There is a walk-out balcony which is always nice to have in a hotel room. However, the view is not very nice; you will be looking out onto the main street and right into other people's apartments (there is an apartment building directly across from the hotel). Again, this view can't be helped by the hotel.

There is a mini-fridge in the room that worked great, and it was a nice convenience to have, as you could always have cold water, or keep food cold. There was also a very small TV that worked (it's very difficult to figure out the controllers), and although most available channels were in Greek, there were a few in English.

The hotel staff is very nice; they helped me a lot by frequently giving me directions to places that I needed to go, advice for walking through the city/taking a ferry to some of the Greek islands. They even loaned me an American to European converter for my phone charger for the duration of my stay, as I had forgotten to bring one. When it was time for me to check out, they arranged for a taxi to pick me up/bring me to the airport, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it; this was much appreciated.

Bottom line: I would not stay here again, even with the appeal of a lower price and an ideal location in the city. But as long as you know what to expect, and use a lot of caution in the surrounding area, staying here could save you a little more money that you could be putting to good use for other parts of your vacation/visit.

• Trip type: Travelled solo