“Excellent Location, Kostas is Awesome”
Review of Hotel Metropolis

Hotel Metropolis
Ranked #46 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I chose Hotel Metropolis based on it's great location and excellent reviews and I am very happy that I did. Kostas, Thomas, and Inder were great hosts. Kostas was especially helpful. Every question we asked Kostas, he was immediately able to answer. Kostas speaks fluent English, Romanian, Greek, and Italian, and speaks a little of everything else. He was amazing.

The room was small, but adequate and very clean. We didn't have a balcony, but I don't know when we would have had a chance to use it anyway. The roof, which you can visit at any time, has great views of the Acropolis, and is a great spot to take some photos from. The shower was great--with very hot water and plenty of water pressure. The A/C worked perfectly when we wanted to cool off or dehumidify the room after a shower. There was a TV in the room, but we never used it.

I have no complaints about our stay at Hotel Metropolis. The restaurant downstairs is decent. There is a small grocery store right around the back side of the building. We had our laundry done (washed, dried, and folded) at National, just two blocks over, for 4 euro per kilo. My husband also had a shave at the barber shop near National for just 10 euro.

The Hotel is across the street from the cathedral. The bells ring. I like it--doesn't bother me a bit, but if bells bother you, look elsewhere (fair warning--there are churches everywhere). The cathedral is under construction, so we heard construction noise a couple times too.

Apparently sometimes reservations get lost. It isn't the hotel's fault. This is because some of the booking websites only send reservations by fax, not also by email, and we all know faxing isn't reliable. I honestly can't remember what booking site it was.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a great value for the money, with exceptional staff and location. I'm not sure when I will be able to return to Greece, but if I do, I'll make sure to stay at Hotel Metropolis.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelmet, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Kathlyne,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I cannot thank you enough for your kind words.
Reviews like yours are most rewarding to our efforts.
Thank you again and we really hope we get to see you and your husband again.

Konstantinos Tsiaktanis

There are newer reviews for Hotel Metropolis

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had booked this hotel almost a month in advance via booking.com and had a confirmed reservation. We had a terrible experience upon arriving at this hotel after a really long day of sightseeing in Crete. We checked in late in the night only to be later informed that they had to move our booking to another hotel property which was 10 minutes walking distance. To make matters worse, we were not informed apriori and the front desk attendant outright lied to us about being contacted via email. I showed him proof that I had not received any prior notification. The last thing you want after a long day of traveling is a non co-operative hotel staff member. Upon asking him to arrange for a taxi to the other property, he did not even offer the courtesy of paying for it. Instead he told us that we were upgraded to a superior room with a view of acropolis at a lesser cost which could pay for the taxi fare. I am pretty sure that this hotel was overbooked which was a mistake on the part of the hotel. We were given a lame excuse that they could not honor our request for a room on a higher floor. When customers make specific requests during booking, it is completely upto the discretion of the hotel to honor those requests but I fail to fathom the logic behind a hotel not granting a room to the customer with a confirmed reservation on these grounds. Finally after some convincing he agreed to pay the taxi fare. When we arrived at the sister property, neither did we get an acropolis view nor did the room resemble anything on the lines of a superior room. The accommodation was pretty basic and the property was completely dated. The front desk staff at this hotel was much more co-operative and we did not really bother much since we were simply crashing for the night to catch an early morning flight back home. Please double check with the hotel pro-actively if you plan to stay here since they can flip on you without prior notice. Better yet, stay somewhere else to avoid last minute surprises.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelmusings
hotelmet, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Mr. A.P.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused but let us assure you that it is not the hotels fault like you are suggesting.
As I have said in another occassion you are a client of an Online Travel Agency that still uses fax to forward reservations, not that this is any of your fault, fax is not the best way to forward information that is why we check daily our expected arrivals with this OTA and when we see a reservation that we do not have on record, rare occassions, we first contact the guest himself by e-mail, as we did with you, please check your spam or junk folder, in my sent folder it shows sent and then we call the customer service and ask them to contact you and inform you of the situation and the alternatives we have made with directions and all the details, I also have the correspondence with the C.S. Departement.
Evening receptionist arranged for a taxi to take you to the other hotel, which is 300 meters from us, and also paid for it.
Please also note that we only own one property and we do not have a sister hotel as you claim.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The best part is the location. It couldn't be better to explore the main sight of Athens. Plaka is simply opposite, Acropolis is within easy walking distance. syntagma square is 5mjns walk, metro and bus station conveniently located.

It is a small 2 star hotel afterall, if you expect Hilton you will sure be disappointed. there is no lobby, simply a reception. I booked a quad room, it's small and crowded for 4, even with a balcony. Although facing a road, it wasn't noisy at all. Bed is comfortable, air conditioning worked well. There is no kettle and drink making facility, there is hair dryer.

Breakfast served at rooftop. It was very simple and basic. For EUR5 per person, it is adequate the start the day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JerryMJT
Reviewed 9 October 2013

For a FANTASTIC location at a VERY good price, look no further than the Hotel Metropolis. The view from the breakfast roof terrace across the Plaka to the Acropolis is truly breathtaking. The rooms are simple yet spotlessly clean, and the staff very very nice...!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Chris2421356707655
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We booked the 'family room' suite for our group of 4 as wanted a central location and decent price for a one night stay in Athens before leaving for the island of Lesvos. The Hotel Metroplolis did not disappoint as it was my second time in Athens and I wanted to be in the heart of the Plaka...we were within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, Plaka, Monistiraki Square and Acropolis. We wandered the streets with ease and comfort and made our way to the Acropolis and also enjoyed a night time view of the Acropolis from the rooftop patio. The staff were charming and helpful and took care of co-ordinating our taxi ride for our early morning flight on the Saturday morning. Would highly recommend this hotel as part of your stay in Athens! Well done and will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shaggie22
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Metropolis for 3 nights in September 2013. The location was excellent with quick access to the Acropolis, dining and shopping districts in Monistiraki and Plaka, and subway routes. The staff were very attentive and extremely helpful.

The rooms appeared to have been relatively recently renovated and were kept clean. We had a very small balcony and view of the Acropolis from our room. We really liked the rooftop balcony which had a direct view of the Acropolis which was very nice during the day and with a glass of wine in the night when it is all lit up.

The shower proved to be relatively challenging as it is very small and had a handheld shower head which made it difficult to not get water all over the bathroom floor. Outside of the hotel's control, there was a church across the street that rang its bells every hour throughout the night and once on each half hour. This made it difficult to sleep and adjust to the time difference since this was our first stop in Greece. Aside from this, the hotel was great and highly recommended based on the location and value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christophermarco
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My sister and I booked a superior room and I can really recommend that. For European standards it's really a spacious room, which comes with a very long balcony.
The roof terrace offered an excellent view of the Akropolis, but ofcourse you should be outside and visit it.
Metropolis Hotel offers an excellent location. All the special sights and historical buildings are within walking distance, as are all the nice terraces/restaurants/shops.
The staff was great aswell, everyone without exception was friendly and helpfull. Inder really helped us out where to go and how to get there. He also made our stay very positive with his friendliness and pleasant conversation.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Book a superior room, and if you really 'need' the best view, ask one on the front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends