“Cute and tiny, perfect location and friendly staff are worth the imperfections!”
Review of Hotel Metropolis

Hotel Metropolis
Ranked #46 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 3 July 2010

This is a nice hotel, overall, and not too expensive for Plaka. It's not luxury, but it has what you need. It's attractive, perfectly located, and staff (ESPECIALLY the desk clerk who worked in the evenings/night) was friendly and always helpful.

Pros: Absolutely perfect location, walking distance to major sites-acropolis, ancient and roman agoras, national archeological museum, private balcony w/table and chairs, great acropolis view (from my room, anyway), friendly and helpful desk staff, A/C, hotel is clean, room had a wardrobe and plenty of drawers.

Cons: Bed is hard and you will feel some springs, room is tiny (which I didn't mind at all, but might be considered a con).

Overall-recommended, unless you really need a cushy bed!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2010

Rooms: I stayed here with a group of 4 girls:
-one double room with ensuite bathroom on 2nd floor: bathroom was quite small, i am 5'7 and 120 lbs, and could barely sit while peeing - this was no problem for me, but might become an issue for anyone taller or wider. beds were not most comfortable, but if you are out all day in athens you'll sleep fine, and it is still a deal for the price. Had a balcony with a view of the acropolis! All rooms have AC (a must!) and a TV with cable.

-one "double" (actually had 3 beds) with ensuite bathroom on 4th floor: bathroom was much larger, might be better for taller or bigger people. Had an even better view of acropolis since it is higher up.

Location: Perfect location, right between Monastiraki square and Parliment. This makes for a great view of the acropolis, both from balconies of the rooms and from the roof of the building (offer an OK breakfast up there for 5E in the mornings). There is also a gorgeous church right out front, although it is currently undergoing renovations.

Staff: At first I had my doubts about the staff - but after a few silly questions about how to dial the phone numbers in greece on the first night, I found that they are very nice and helpful. They helped my friends program the wi-fi passwords into their phones, and gave me a tutorial on greek phone numbers :) We had no problems!

Overall, I would definitely stay here again and recommend to any friends looking for a budget hotel in athens. I think some of the reviews on here should be taken with a grain of salt: it really depends on what you expect and what size you are. For a budget hotel, this hotel is exceptional! However if your expecting the hilton, you are bound to be disappointed. If you are big and/or tall, you might want to email the hotel and ask for a room with a bigger bathroom (this goes for anywhere in greece, or even all of europe, as the bathrooms seem to run small)

That being said, you will not regret a stay at metropolis hotel!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Hi,
We had traveled to more than 25 countries and always stayed in hostels/budget hotels. Hotel Metropolis is the worst one we had experienced so far in terms of value for money, safety and behavior of hotel staff.
We had booked a double room in Hotel Metropolis, Athens through Hotels.com for 70 Euro/night. When we checked in on the evening of 16th, we were given a tiny room (10 ft x 7 ft at most with a double bed occupying 90% of the room area). Our bathroom (5ft x 6 ft) had a window opening to the main staircase and we were very uncomfortable taking showers with a half open window and sounds of footsteps of the passers by!
When we complained about the room size, we were told that "the hotel is fully booked today, they will move you to a better room tomorrow" . The next morning when we went to the reception desk asking when we will move to the new room there was a new guy in the desk who demanded 80Euro/night for the new room. He was very rude and when I told him to call the guy who was on duty the previous evening and check what we had been offered during check-in, he told that he doesn't care what his colleague had offered us. At one stage, I told that I will complain to hotels.com and upon my return to my room I found that the wireless internet was no longer working !
Also, upon our return to the hotel, we found the door of our room wide open (fortunately we had locked the suitcase and nothing was lost). When we complained to the desk about this, first they tried to argue that we had left it open by mistake. When we pointed out that the room has been cleaned after we had went out, so it was definitely the hotel's fault, they didn't bother to apologize for this.
Don't stay in this hotel at least in the 70 Euro room. It will ruin your vacation.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jajabor_95
hotelmet, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2010

Dear Guest,

Hotel Metropolis has been operating as a 2* hotel since 1954 and has gained a very good mouth to mouth reputation and we respond to all complaints if brought to our attention.

The size of the room is in compliance to the european standards for 2* hotels and I must say that most rooms in Europe are smaller than expected especially for American tourists but pictures of rooms are available at all booking engines as well as hotels site.
The window of your bathroom was not to the main staircase but to the fire escape staircase which is only accessed in case of fire and with the alarm sounding all access to this staircase is alarm protected.

The next day of your check in you demanded to have another room at a fully booked hotel, which was not possible, when you insisted you were offered a full refund for the remaining of your 3 day reservation in case you wished to change hotels and we offered to help you find similar hotel at the same rate. We take pride in our relations with the guests of our hotel and we don't like forcing people to stay with us just because they have to.

Some times routers of wireless connections can lose signal and all it takes is to reset it, something that can be done at the push of a button if we are noticed and is not done with any intention.

You never brought to my attention the door being left open so I feel compeled to apologize a month later and through a third party but also not done with intention.

The Manager of Hotel Metropolis,
K.Tsiaktanis

Reviewed 11 June 2010

I stayed at Hotel Metropolis at the end of May 2010. I slept great while I was there, despite the church chiming across the street. It looks like double-paned windows have recently been added. I was on the single room on the top floor. The views were excellent. It was basic but clean. The people at the front desk were helpful. The location is awesome, right in the centre of Athens. There was even a bathtub (the only one on my trip)--if only I'd had a bath plug so I could soak my feet at the end of the day. The only downsides are the small elevator (however, this seems to be common in Greece--but the hotel is not wheelchair-friendly) and the room I was in was right under the rooftop patio where breakfast was served--I didn't sleep past 7ish with chairs scrapping above, but then I didn't want to sleep late.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Hmm, a bit of a hit and miss. Easiest put in a pros / cons list:

Pros:
* Very friendly and helpful staff
* Breakfast is cheap (€5) and adequate
* Very convenient location (halfway between Syntagma and Monastiraki)
* 24 hour reception

Cons:
* Rooms are a bit grotty and the top sheet of the bed (i.e. the quilt) was very dirty and stained
* The electrics / wiring. I couldn't believe some of it - our phone was hardwired to a wire coming out of the wall with just twisted wires, no insulation (OK, low voltage, but still bare wires). The mains sockets are extremely old and do not grip appliances in meaning they spark almost constantly and whatever is plugged in loses power all the time. Also the TV is hardwired to the mains. I think this is a fire hazard, but I'm not an expert.
* With the above in mind, no fire escapes (or no obvious ones) and no smoke detectors?!
* Location is right by Athens main cathedral. Cathedral = bells. Starting around 6am and every 30 minutes until midnight. Forget sleeping if this sort of thing wakes you
* Lumpy pillows

All in all we'd have stayed somewhere else if we had the choice. We booked too late so were a bit stuck. Its not an awful place, but not great. I wouldn't stay again.

On the upside, the staff are amazingly helpful.

Reviewed 28 May 2010

Metropolis was a good 1 night choice! It's location is perfect, walking distance to the Metropolis through the Plaka so you get to do both at the same time! Front desk is helpful and rooms are clean. Beds are alright (again for 1 night), washrooms are so small so that wasn't great but it did the job. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay as it's perfectly located in a great area!

1  Thank MeghaB
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Pros: If you are travelling to Athens on a budget, this hotel is the hotel for you. 1) the location is excellent. It is approx. 3 blocks from Syntagma square and metro stop, A block away from the shopping area Ermou street. 10-15 minutes walk to Monasteraki and Plaka , the busy tourist area. In short, it is walking distance to all major neighborhood to see. The street itself, Metropoleos, is well lit at night, fairly clean, and safe to walk on at night. There is a fair amount of traffic during the day and on the weekends evenings, can have the occasional car blasting their radio as they drive further into town. There is also a great dessert place right on Metropoleos, as you head towards Syntagma. Next to the hotel is a reasonably priced family restaurant that serves really good souvlaki and an awesome greek salad. 2) The building itself is old but kept clean. The rooftop garden has one of the best view of the Acropolis. We brought our snack on the rooftop and had a wonderful time simply resting and taking in the view. As for the room, we were on a budget and opted for a small double bed room with shared bathroom. Our room was on the third floor and it had a decent view of the Acropolis and the main cathedral of Athens. The sheets were clean and the bed a little firm but comfortable. Our room was tiny but it had a big enough armoir to allow us to spread out our things. The window opened quite wide to allow a good breeze but the room is equipped with an AC. Overall, the room was comfortable. 3) The staff were nice. This hotel had the same staff tending to the guests everyday. We liked this because we got to know them and felt more comfortable leaving our valuables in our room. They were also helpful in helping us with the internet connection, directions to many tourists sights and also letting us know useful information such as a general strike on the day we were to leave. They offered to help us make tranportation arrangement to the airport.
Cons: 1) There is only one bathroom for those that have opted to share. The bathroom was cleaned daily, however, some of the guests that were using it, were a little inconsiderate. They would forget to flush, leave huge wad of toilet paper in the bowl (it's common sense not to throw paper in toilets) and leave used towels on the floor. The staff should really check after peak hours to keep the bathroom clean. We strongly suggest to splurge extra on the rooms with the bathroom. If you really are on a budget, simply get to the bathroom early. Also remember to request not to be placed in room 25, as this room is right next to the shared bathroom. 2) If you are a light and sensitive sleeper, the cathedral bell chimes every half an a hour. It's not as bad and you get use to it. We were often so tired from our day that it didn't bother us at all. In fact, it added to the charm of the place. You are after all in Europe.
In general, if you plan on simply finding a safe place that is comfortable, clean, and close to everything, Hotel Metropolis is the place for you!