“Good, cheap, friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #124 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Naples, Italy
“Good, cheap, friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We (a couple) just stayed here for the marathon weekend. The staff was superfriendly and helpful. The room was clean and ample space (the price was well below 100E/night so I didn't expect much at all) the bathroom was perfect size and private. Breakfast was included with some delicious coffee as well.
Location was great with a vegan/vegetarian restaurant across the street, organic grocery, sushi, etc etc and the main square about 2 blocks away. I certainly would go back again if our travels bring us to Athens. The only complaint is that the halls are kind of thin and it was clear our neighbors were not needing their rest for the upcoming marathon but no one else in the hotel made loud noises so it could have just been them.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mebrr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Seward, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My mother and I recently stayed at Hotel Niki for an overnight visit in Athens. We just got off a cruise and I read about Hotel Niki in my Rick Steves' Athens guide book. I trust his recommendations, so I went with it. The room we had was clean and charming. The bathroom was a bit small, but that is to be expected. I thought it was a good value for the price. We had to leave at 4am to go to the airport and the gentleman at the front desk did offer to have something ready for us, but I declined. We can wait to eat, but I thought it was a nice gesture to have food ready at that hour. Hotel Niki in centrally located to Syntagma Square and the metro. My only compliant is that the beds are a bit stiff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michelle S
Kapolei, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

There were 3 of us, my sister, her daughter and me. The room was adequate and the breakfast was nice. It was close to everything. The front desk was always helpful, the rooms cleaned and they even opened the breakfast room early for us when we were picked up for a day cruise. Others have complained and all I can say is if you want a big room and room service go around the corner to the New Hotel and pay quadruple for it. A fine place if you are in Athens to see Athens. if you want luxury go someplace else. But a clean neat room close to everything is what we like. The breakfast came with the room and they had fresh juice, coffee, tea, bread, sweet bread, hard boiled eggs, ham, cheese, granola for the delicious Greek yogurt along with jellies, butter, a toaster. A nice buffet. If I go back to Athens I will stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are in Athens to see Athens and want to spend your money on souvenirs instead of a fancy expe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We chose the Hotel Niki due to its location, it's got a great central location, easy walking distance to all the main sites in Athens. Our room was basic but comfortable and everything we needed. There's free wifi which was really handy. Breakfast again was very basic- ham, cheese, hard boiled egg and bread. It was nice but limited. All hotel staff very really friendly and helpful. At check in they explained where to go and not to go on a map and were there if we had any questions. I loved that everything was on our doorstep but if I was staying for more than 2 nights I'd want something a bit more luxurious, spacious and with more variety at breakfast.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The best and only thing about Nikis hotel is its location between the Sintagma Square, the acropolis and the Plaka. The rooms are very very small (and the bathroom is probably less 10 sq. ft) .This is the place to try and get some sleep if you are looking for a bed in this good location however, I am not sure if you would be able to sleep. While you are in your room, you hear everything that is being done and spoken in your neighboring rooms (and they probably hear you). The corridor is less than 1 meter wide, doors are very thin and the ventilation system is probably shred by a few rooms so the noise from the outside of your room comes through it so… forget about sleeping while people are talking or acting in the other rooms. We did not eat breakfast because we left early. The room cost does not include it anyway. The staff was kind and helpful. Roo was clean.In conclusion…try to get a better hotel or stay here and hope that your neighbors would fall asleep before you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Moti K
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Somehow we pretty much forgot to book our hotel in Athens until a week before our trip so had to make some last min decisions (places book up FAST in Athens). I was a bit nervous about Niki Hotel as some of the reviews are so horribly scathing. But after staying there for two nights – and then booking again for the last day of our trip I can say I disagree wholeheartedly with the moaning myrtles.

Athens seems to be a total mixed bag of glorious areas and total dumps. Niki Hotel is perfectly placed near Syntagma, Plaka and Monastikiri, all of which seemed wonderful to me. You don’t have to walk more than 20 mins to get to shopping districts, winding side streets crammed with tavernas or of course the Acropolis and the other ruins. The wonderful staff at the hotel (the two receptionists are friendly babes who speak perfect English too) are happy to direct you to anywhere or order a taxi if necessary. I’d heard horror stories about the streets of Athens being littered with prossies, heroin syringes and general nasty characters but even when walking around late at night (or early in the morning!) I never felt anything but safe and welcome.

We had two rooms over our two stays here. Both were clean and well equipped. I agree that the bathrooms are a little snug, but just restrict yourselves to six gyros per day rather than seven and you’ll be A-OK!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JokeswithOakes
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Niki Hotel is an older hotel without air conditioning, but right in the middle of everything you want to see. The prices are so low, that when i travel to Mykonos or to Eggina, I don't even check out. The hotle is family owned and I've been going there for 30 years.

Room Tip: What is fun, is to look out your window (recommend the 8-9th floor) and just people watch.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends