“Hated Stalis - Dirty as Athens”
Review of Stalis Hotel

Stalis Hotel
Ranked #245 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Los Angeles
“Hated Stalis - Dirty as Athens”
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Once in a rare while you come across a hotel that leaves such a bad taste in your mouth that it virtually ruins the entire city for you. Stalis was just such a place for me and my girlfriend.

When I booked the hotel I knew my flight would not be arriving in Athens until 3AM, so I put a special note under comments that we were booking for the night but would not arrive until 4AM. I was so concerned about this, that I wrote an email the day of the reservation again informing that I would not arrive until very early the in the morning of the next day. I specifically requested that they not give away my reservation and stated that I would be there as planned.

When we arrived in Athens we took a great 24 hour bus to Syntagma Square from the airport, hoping to avoid a hefty cab fair. We then took a cab from the square to Stalis - a 5 minute drive that cost us 25 Euros and took us down sketchy hooker-lined streets prompting the crooked cabbies quote "Welcome to Africa". But the best was yet to come...

When we finally arrived at the destination, the cabbie warned that we not take all the bags in just yet - apparently Stalis has a reputation for what was about to happen...

The hotelier told me upon arrival that he had a problem with our reservation. His lame excuse was that one of the floors of the hotel was without power and so they did not have a room for us. I told him that I specifically emailed him about this and asked why they had not responded to me before about not having a room for me. He had no answer. He said they could have a room for me at 7AM when an electrician was coming. I suggested that since it was 4 AM we would not be needing power until the morning because we were going straight to sleep. He still could not provide me with a room. Obviously this was a lousy excuse for overbooking.

After much bickering, he sent me to their sister hotel Parnon, an otherwise normal hotel where we finally slept but which did not have some of the amenities for I had specifically booked Stalis - especially no luggage room for when we were touring the Greek Islands. I cancelled my return reservation to Stalis from the Islands. The last thing you want at 4AM is a hotel that gave away your reservation. Thanks Stalis, for being the worst hotel I have every encountered.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — they gave away my reservation and it is located on an alley with hookers
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mcgoose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Romania
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Stayed at Stalis for 2 nights with my girlfriend. Payed 60Euro/room/night, could've payed 50. There was parking in front of the hotel for 10Euros/day. Was clean, was ok, this is the word. Our only worry was the area, which, even though downtown, looked quite fishy. A bigger problem was that next to our room, in the other building, there were some 4-5 black people that were quite loud and I was a bit afraid to go out on the balcony. Anyway, to be in a worry-free location, I definitely recommend Plaka or Monastiraki.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Cheap and basic no frills hotel that met our needs. This hotel is very basic but only cost EURO 50 for both of us, including basic continental breakfast.

The rooms are clean and have air-co and private bathroom. It is within walking distance of all the main attractions in Athens, but be careful to stick to the main streets, as some of the surrounding streets are quite rough. There is also lots of parking close by, if you have a car like we did. The price for parking is reasonable (around EURO 18 for up to 24 hours).

• Liked — Good location - walking distance from the shops and historical sites; cheap and clean
  • Disliked — Some of the surrounding back streets were a little dodgy!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Beansley
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 May 2006

A small hotel in the center of Athens . The rooms are nice and very clean . The price of the rooms is great .Ideal for budget travellers .

• Stayed May 2006