“Just renovated,looks like new!”
Review of Stalis Hotel

Stalis Hotel
Ranked #245 of 326 Hotels in Athens
thesaloniki
“Just renovated,looks like new!”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Just after renovation the hotel looks like new.Fresh painted rooms with new furniture and without a carpet!!!! Very clean and quiet room , i think is a great value for money for just 40 euros for a double bed with breakfast.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I went there last weekend with my partner. The hotel itself is worth what you are paying for ( small room) but the location is just awful! The area is rough rough rough! We checked in and went for a walk and realised how disgusting and scary the area was compared to the rest of the city. We went back to the hotel and decided to check out and went to another budget hotel close to the acropolis. We off course had to pay the first night even if we checked in and out the same afternoon. I could not have imagined staying in this hotel.... what a nightmare!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank natvy1983

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

London
Reviewed 22 January 2009

The Hotel Stalis is situated in the middle of one the most perilous areas of Athens. There are literally red lights in the flats around the hotel. I did wonder if the hotel rented rooms by the hour (if you know what I mean)!

The hotel staff seemed peeved that they may have to do some work even though I appeared to be the only guest! I checked the reviews for this hotel, but the reviews, and especially the photos, do not reflect my experience. My room was small, with an old tv and really old fashioned telephone! No shower curtain on the shower resulted in a flooded bathroom every time.

In the morning, the breakfast (included in price) was meagre. No milk, no butter, no cereal, no fruit. Just 4 (yes, 4) pieces of toast and jam with black coffee (that I had to make myself). No staff and no other guests. Eerie.

The next day, the room was locked, so I went hungry. The moody staff were too awful, so I didn't tackle the locked breakfast room. I just left as it was my last day anyway. Good luck with this one.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank MawkieLondon
Dubin,
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We had a lot of difficulty finding budget accomodation in Athens and finally choose Hotel Stalis instead of a hostel as it was better priced at €50 per room per night. I booked through Venere and mentioned that I would be arriving after midnight but due to delays it was 5am before we got there. The gent on reception was friendly and got us into our room quickly.
The rooms are spacious with a double and a single bed, fresh towels and a good air con unit. This is a budget hotel but is clean, tidy and in good overall condition. Breakfast was included in the price and although not a great selection, we enjoyed it.
The location worried me beofre we got there but if you stik to the main roads you souldn't have any problems. We walked everywhere in Athens, it took us about 20 mins to get from the hotel to the main shopping areas and the staff are extremely helpful with showing where everything is and giving out maps and advice.
We ended up having to spend a night in Athens a month later and booked in to the hotel without even loking for anywhre else, if you want a very cheap hotel that is clean and friendly with fre internet access close to the sites this is as good as anywhere else.

• Liked — Much better hotel than I expected for the price I paid
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Once in a rare while you come across a hotel that leaves such a bad taste in your mouth that it virtually ruins the entire city for you. Stalis was just such a place for me and my girlfriend.

When I booked the hotel I knew my flight would not be arriving in Athens until 3AM, so I put a special note under comments that we were booking for the night but would not arrive until 4AM. I was so concerned about this, that I wrote an email the day of the reservation again informing that I would not arrive until very early the in the morning of the next day. I specifically requested that they not give away my reservation and stated that I would be there as planned.

When we arrived in Athens we took a great 24 hour bus to Syntagma Square from the airport, hoping to avoid a hefty cab fair. We then took a cab from the square to Stalis - a 5 minute drive that cost us 25 Euros and took us down sketchy hooker-lined streets prompting the crooked cabbies quote "Welcome to Africa". But the best was yet to come...

When we finally arrived at the destination, the cabbie warned that we not take all the bags in just yet - apparently Stalis has a reputation for what was about to happen...

The hotelier told me upon arrival that he had a problem with our reservation. His lame excuse was that one of the floors of the hotel was without power and so they did not have a room for us. I told him that I specifically emailed him about this and asked why they had not responded to me before about not having a room for me. He had no answer. He said they could have a room for me at 7AM when an electrician was coming. I suggested that since it was 4 AM we would not be needing power until the morning because we were going straight to sleep. He still could not provide me with a room. Obviously this was a lousy excuse for overbooking.

After much bickering, he sent me to their sister hotel Parnon, an otherwise normal hotel where we finally slept but which did not have some of the amenities for I had specifically booked Stalis - especially no luggage room for when we were touring the Greek Islands. I cancelled my return reservation to Stalis from the Islands. The last thing you want at 4AM is a hotel that gave away your reservation. Thanks Stalis, for being the worst hotel I have every encountered.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — they gave away my reservation and it is located on an alley with hookers
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mcgoose
Romania
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Stayed at Stalis for 2 nights with my girlfriend. Payed 60Euro/room/night, could've payed 50. There was parking in front of the hotel for 10Euros/day. Was clean, was ok, this is the word. Our only worry was the area, which, even though downtown, looked quite fishy. A bigger problem was that next to our room, in the other building, there were some 4-5 black people that were quite loud and I was a bit afraid to go out on the balcony. Anyway, to be in a worry-free location, I definitely recommend Plaka or Monastiraki.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Cheap and basic no frills hotel that met our needs. This hotel is very basic but only cost EURO 50 for both of us, including basic continental breakfast.

The rooms are clean and have air-co and private bathroom. It is within walking distance of all the main attractions in Athens, but be careful to stick to the main streets, as some of the surrounding streets are quite rough. There is also lots of parking close by, if you have a car like we did. The price for parking is reasonable (around EURO 18 for up to 24 hours).

• Liked — Good location - walking distance from the shops and historical sites; cheap and clean
  • Disliked — Some of the surrounding back streets were a little dodgy!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple