“Very nice hotel except few things”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden City Hotel

Golden City Hotel
Ranked #248 of 325 Hotels in Athens
“Very nice hotel except few things”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

The hotel is very good looking and with very clean and nice rooms.I liked the air condition because it was very hot outside all day.The rooms and beds were clenead everyday.I didn't like the bathtub because it was very small and the water was everywhere when I showered.The food was great and also the balcony where is a great view of the whole city.The staff was very nice and helpful.The location is kinda dangerous and we could hear the police sometimes and its not very safe at night.Also the door vas very hard to open sometimes haha you have to push very hard when you go out.There is free wifi connection only on reception but you can sit there on sofas or in cafe bar while you're on the internet.And the guy that works in the bar was very nice ;) To sum up,hotel and the service is great and I would love to come back one day!:)

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank liveyourlifee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Bacau, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Golden City Hotel, was a very good option for a low budget hotel in Athens for me.
The hotel is closed to Omonia square, from where i easily took the metro to visit Athens.
Anyway from Omonia it was easy to simply walk to Sintagma or Plaka or Monastiraki.
I found the hotel very clean, the receptionist was very kind as-well the staff in the morning at the buffet breakfast.
Our room was spacious, clean with air condition and safe box.
They cleaned the room daily and changed bed sheets and towels.
Breakfast was a delight, various sweet and salted food, fresh fruits, delicious greek yogurt, and a espresso coffee maker!
The best part was enjoying breakfast on the terrace at 8th floor where they serve buffet breakfast, from where we admired Athens with the morning sun.
In the lobby you can enjoy surfing the internet, or drink coffee at hotels cafeteria.
As read some reviews about Omonia square, i must say that is very safe event the night, as we returned later at midnight and we saw police and we felt safe walking night.
The hotel has a big plus for clean rooms, polite personnel and breakfast!

Room Tip: Room starting the 6th floor are quiet room in the morning when heavy traffic in Athens can disturb p...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Demetrio-T
Samos, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Me and my wife have used this hotel 3-4 times in the last 5 years and I can say this is a good place to stay in Athens .

I ve heard that the area is a bit problematic for drag problems but anyway the hotel is good and safe ( room doors use electronic key , which is good ! ).

The only thing I didn t like so much this time is that wifi is free only in the lobby , but with a charge of 3 euros for one hour in the rooms .
I strongly believe that free internet is a plus for a hotel service these days and for this reason next time I will try a hotel with free internet in the rooms also .

So hotel managers pay attention to that...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

2 Thank Dimitris C
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel is just enough to satisfy your needs, if you come to Athens not to stay in a luxury place, but see the city, go to other places, go to the beach, namely - just to spend nights there. There is just everything you need - comfortable beds, TV, unnoticeable service, minimal breakfasts (but with very tasty watermelons, I was there in July). Of course, if you are planning on spending some time of your day at a hotel, you could look for another place. I was leaving early in the morning and coming back at night, and this place was just satisfying for that.

Almost every morning I had to order early breakfasts because of the excursions and it was not a problem.

it is true that free wi-fi is available only in the lobby, but it was also not a problem, as they have comfortable sofas and armchairs there. And I think it is also written on their website. So one should not expect free wi-fi in the room.

As to the vicinity. Many toursits write that it is a dangerous place, but I would disagree. Yes, there are many poor people and homeless people. But they seem harmless. They don't touch you, don't beg you of anything, don't follow you. Once during the nigh one Algerian emigrant even offered his help, when he saw that we were exploring the map. He was very helpful and cheerful person. Not a killer or a robber. He helped us and went further his way.

The hotel is about 20 minutes walk from Plaka - the old part of Athens, and three metro stations away from it. The closest one is Omonia and it goes directly to Acropolis metro station.

As to the staff, I only had a chance to communicate with a man and a girl at the reception, as I was constantly in a hurry, so I was asking them direct questions on the issues that I needed to solve immediately, and they were helpful. They also communicated with my travel agency instead of me (as the agency couldn't call my mobile phone) and then wrote me notes and left them in the room, so that I know what the agency wanted to arrange and tell me. It was also very helpful.

So overall, it is a nice hotel, nothing to complain about. It is not luxurious, it is just OK. But when you expect it to be just a simple, normal place and not a super fancy hotel, then you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: My bathroom was very small and I definitely would need more space, if I planned to stay there longer...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Edelveise
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

About a 5 minute walk from Metaxurgio train station, but the area was a little shady. You need to keep an eye out at night time. The shower could also have used a shower curtain, because a
water goes all over the bathroom, but other than that, the room itself was presentable. The girl at the front desk was very helpful and always greeted me with a smile.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Zero887
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed in that hotel with a friend. Everything was very good. The location is perfect, within short walking distance to all attractions and city center. We heard that that area is considered to be as not the best and safe because of immigrants and so on, but we really have not noticed anything like that while we we walking to and from city center even during the night. The service at the hotel has perfect. Very nice and clean rooms. Nice reception area with nice stuff working there. There is a cafe in lobbi where people can drink coffee or something else. I definetely recommend this hotel to all my friends and would like to go back there again. i really dont have nothing to complain about. The only minor things I would like to point are: the rooms were not very big the size is sufficient, another thing the brakfast had not a very wide choice but was ok. Excellent value for money. We got a very positive impression from this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank manager-zeytun
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

The number of positive reviews this hotel has seems incongruous with how I found it. This is a smoky, dingy, cramped, and located in a very dangerous neighborhood. “Free Internet” = in lobby only, and there is a ridiculously expensive charge for internet in the room. Our tour had planned on the Acropolis Hill Hotel, and then the hotel for the night was inexplicable changed to this one! I can't help but suspect our tour company found a way to make a last minute profit by changing our itinerary. The hotel is full of young travelers who are up late, making lots of noise, and the staff seems overwhelmed. These are all signs of a hotel that does not want to upgrade its services for return customers, and tour companies that are too willing to shop for cut-rate hotels that travelers have no way of rejecting once they’re on the trip. This is not a hotel that is a nice place to return to after a day of walking around the city of Athens. The surrounding neighborhood did not feel very safe, either, esp. at night. I wouldn't never stay in the hotel again, would rather stay up all night on a bus. Disappointed.

Room Tip: Not much to say about this one....
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels