“Terrific hotel in Athens!”

O&B Athens Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrific hotel in Athens!”
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My partner and I traveled to Athens and booked the O&B based on reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites. We had a fantastic stay and we'd certainly stay there again on a future trip. We too were a little concerned about the location and street pictures. We thought we'd be a little farther away from the Plaka than we wanted. But as it turns out the hotel is in a terrific location. We were actually quite pleased that we didn't stay right in the heart of the Plaka as it's farther from some of the other terrific areas. The hotel is very close to all the tourist sites, but also very close to some other really nice areas - Gazi is superb for restaurants and clubs (actually we dumbfounded at the food and nightlife on Saturday night - incredibly vibrant), Psiri is also right close by and has edgier clubs and restaurants. The street the hotel is on was of concern at first- it isn't particularly pretty, but it's completely fine and literally less than 2 blocks to the start of great restaurants and bars. The street is not scary at all and we found ourselves walking all over the city/to-from the hotel late into the night without any concern. The hotel is also several blocks from the train station and very close to the metro station. We were quite pleased with the location and the street.

Now regarding the staff - I can't say enough great things about them. Superb! They were incredibly helpful and warm. Although it doesn't happen often, as a gay couple we are always a bit ready to encounter a tad bit of chilly reception. Not so with their staff. They welcomed us warmly. They took time during check-in to point out all the tourist areas on the map, told us where the great restaurants are, and generally really made the stay terrific.

We booked the Junior Suite - which I highly recommend if you can splurge a bit. Yes the hotel is a tad pricey, but if you can swing it, it will really make your stay even better. I can imagine that the regular rooms might be a tad small, as the hotel is very modern and boutique. But our Junior Suite was a very nice size and the terrace in the room we were given was HUGE - almost as large as the room. Bathroom facilities were great. The rooms and amenities are very contemporary and modern, and very comfortable. Air conditioning was great too. ! I don't know if we were upgraded as a courtesy, but to our delight the terrace had a great view to the Acropolis. We couldn't have been happier. We ate breakfasts and had drinks on the terrace often. I made the reservations at the hotel web-site, which offered some extras that Expedia and other travel sites didn't have. I emailed the hotel asking for the best room/terrace we could get (it doesn't hurt to ask), and we certainly felt like we got it.

We have traveled Europe extensively and stayed in all types of hotels. We are wary of the 4 and 5 stars listed on hotel web-sites and often wonder who comes up with the ratings. But the O&B was one of the tops on our lists. We thought the hotel was a 4.5 or 5 stars. It's a terrific boutique hotel and we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arizona
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My wife and I picked O&B because of its high ratings in TripAdvisor and it turned out to be just as good as the reviews said. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the location (which seems bad when you first arrive) is excellent, the breakfast was superb...and more.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed at O&B for 3 nights in a standard room. While expensive, it was worth it. I was afraid to go budget in an old European city - I didn't want to end up in a dump. So I splurged on this hotel and was glad I did. The staff is very helpful, the buffet breakfast was the best we had in Greece, the room was small but incredibly clean and modern, the bed was the most comfortable bed we had in Greece, and the location was great. We took the metro from the airport to the Thisio stop and walked less than 2 min. to the hotel. After settling in, we walked across Ermou Street to all of the sights and shopping areas. We never needed a taxi or metro while in Athens. We ate most nights in Plaka (short 5-10 min. walk from hotel) but our last night we ate just one block from the hotel and had a great meal.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NewJerseyJtravel
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 9 October 2010

on our first trip to Athens we stayed in O&B hotel for three nights. It was a perfect choice: the location, friendly staff, the room is spacious, even food in the hotel's restaurant is good!

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank O_S_FC
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I stayed just a couple of days and I have to say this is a very nice hotel. Rooms are very design, of course in the superchic tones of ochre, brown, black and white. For personal reason I had the chance to take a complete tour of the hotel, and they have a couple of suites with a great wiew on the Acropolis - stunning! Room service is ok, the guys at the reception on the other hand are incredibly welcoming and they have been very helpfull during my trip. The position is amazing, just so close to Monastiraki and Plaka! I just loved it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank ALM30
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 5 October 2010

It's not in the best dressed part of town, but it's a decent location close to a lot of things. I had a standard room and it was quite basic: no view, no space. But I wouldn't give up the great bed just to give my luggage more room. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the breakfast buffet was beautiful. I wish it had been a little less pricey considering the time, location, and size of my room. Perhaps that's just the market.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Tucker, Georgia
Reviewed 4 October 2010

This hotel was great. The beds were very comfortable. The service was excellent even though there was a mix up on the taxi from the airport. It was new, very clean, and a great shower. We were traveling for 3 weeks and this hotel had the BEST breakfast by far. The location can't be beaten. It is a 10 minute or less walk to the major attractions. I got the best deal on this hotel by booking through their website. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends