“Awesome!”

San Remo Hostel
San Remo Hostel
Ranked #33 of 73 Speciality Lodging in Athens
Reviewed 21 July 2011

July 2011 - When we arrived here at first and were greeted heartily by Maria. We were given a bed, but due to some more unannounced guests (as were we) we decided to move to the roof instead so the others could have the bed. We were soon joined by two Dutch guys and 7 (!) German girls, and the atmosphere was great. Staff is overall great. When we unexpectedly came back after checking out earlier that day and needed to stay another night, we were treated as old friends. When we, again unannounced, no reservations made, came back one week later, they made us some food and offered us to rest for the day, even when there were no beds for the night.

We've only slept on the roof which is tricky because of some cockroaches and the sun that'll roast you if you don't watch out where you're gonna lie down. At the same time, it's all we could wish for and needed. There's cheap drinks available inside and it's within walking distance from great, just as hospitable Greek bakeries and other shops. 2-3 Minute walk to the central train/metro station. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ArjunSP

Reviewed 5 November 2010

I have stayed here a couple of times and there have been many improvements to this hostel.... The hostel is close to the Metro and to Larissa station. Compared to other Hostels in Athens this one is EASY to find... There are local farmers markets on Saturdays and Wednesday's and this hostel has a kitchen.... I will stay here again. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2010

The place itself is lovely: the rooms are clean and tidy, there's free internet, bathrooms are a bit small but they're continuously cleaned. the staff is incredibly nice. the kitchen is ok, a bit rustic but they were doing renovations when I left. It's really good value!
BUT the area is dreadful. and not really safe at night (as is most of Athens to be fair). This being said, a bit of common sense is all you need: I managed to spend 10 days there as a solo female traveller, with no problems: as long as you don't go around with a gold necklace or your camera hanging around your neck, you'll be fine !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Alex_J0nes
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I had booked a room for one night. I was coming with the ferry from the islans and would arrive in Athens very late at night (midnight) so I immediately informed the person, both via mail and via phone that I would be arriving that late. The same morning I called again, just to make sure that they would know and that they wouldn't think I wasn't showing up. They literally said "no problem, we know you're arriving very late!" Well, of course I arrive around 1 in the night and THERE IS NO ROOM.
I we want, they can put us in a sort of STORAGE ROOM for a cheaper price. It was night, I had no idea where to go, all the other hostels around were full booked and we had big luggage so we had to accept. The room was about 1,5 meter x 2 with a small bed, filled with old objects, dirty, disgusting bed linens, NO AIR, just a small window that you couldn't open, no toilet of course. We had to use a disgusting, dirty common toilet.
Don't go there, it's a total total rip off.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davanita
Reviewed 4 May 2009

This hostel is cheap for a reason the only good things about it is it's close to Larrisa train station and the staff are friendly.
One of the guys in my room saw a cochroach escaping from the bathroom. Menwhile I thought the bathrooms smelt pungently of urine. The showers are located right next to the toilet and the hot water is minimal. There is no real communal area apart from the 2 computers in the entrance way or the small table next to the kitchen. The kitchen itself is dirty and consists of a microwave, sink and fridge with minimal utensils. The bedding is dirty so if you do get stuck here use your own!
To top things off the area wasn't the nicest so I wouldn't advice venturing out at night by yourself.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2007

I was booked into a hostel around the corner but when i arrived conveniently they didn't have any beds so i was sent to San Remo Hostel. This place was an absolute dump. The staff were a bit strange, The bathroom had holes in the walls (big ones) and smelt of urine. I couldn't even stand having a shower it was that bad. The sheets on the bed were still wet and the room didn't have proper heating. There wasn't enough hot water for all of us in the room to shower. It may be cheap but pay a few extra euros and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 August 2006

Stay away from this rat hole! Literally, there are huge holes in the walls. There was urine in the showers and on the floors. We walked in late and two foreign men were smoking in bed. This was the only place that made us pay upfront and now we know why. If we had seen the rooms first, we would never have stayed! There was blood in the sheets. Enough said. Don't stay here.

3  Thank sastoppe