“Stay here!”

Pagration Youth Hostel
Ranked #185 of 326 Hotels in Athens
“Stay here!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I honestly really enjoyed staying here. You will meet Myriam who is just so lovely and super helpful. I was treated to dinner and a great evening, courtesy of 'the lion' :) met really nice people. It's clean, you'll get a good night's sleep and it is infinitely better then Athen's backbackers which was horrible. .dirty and unfriendly. Thanks guys for really making my trip to Athens so enjoyable..until next time..

• Stayed June 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We only stayed there for a quick stay due to an early flight, so I can't comment on the location because we got there and away by taxi. We arrived very late so we couldn't use public transportation (but apparently, it is not difficult to do). The owner was very accommodating and even gave us our own room because we had to leave early. The wifi works. We didn't use the showers because we were there for such a short time. The only problem is that it's a bit noisy.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lena O
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I miss Myriam, Helen, George and of course the Terry mister. Between the long term residents and the staff (the one woman army that is Myriam who is always happily at your service), you will really enjoy the social atmosphere and the very clean environment. They are fun social and take good care of you, they can become your best of friends.

Room Tip: Myriam will get you the best room for you, just tell her what you want and she will guide you. The b...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank michael g
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Miriam, the owner, is such a wonderful person. She will do anything to help you. The rooms are kept very clean. Have to pay 50 cents for a 7 minute hot shower, which was very difficult after traveling for several days. Great gyro place around the corner that only charges 1.50 euro. Would not recommend if you do not like walking or don't want to pay for taxis; it's about a mile or two to all the main attractions. For the price, it was a good value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alex C
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Every hostel has its golden age where the place is totally in tune with its epoch. The owner understand his clientele. The decoration and colours match the taste of the travellers. Honestly, the golden age of Paraigon has passed, way passed. If you want to visit a hostel from the 70s, this is the place to go back in time. Imagine the Pagration as a Blackberry. It was the cool phone to have 10 years ago. But it didn't innovate so competition took its place by offering new features. Newer hostels offers rooftop views on the Acropolis. Pagration has a rooftop where you look at ... other roofs. Newer hostels offer free breakfast or happy hour for the same price as Pagration. Newer hostels offer free walking tours. You get the idea. The owner of Pagration should go and check out the other hostels if he wants to stay in business.

To save hot water, you have to pay 50 cents for hot showers. It might sound enviromentally good but washing dishes or shaving with cold water is not an enjoyable situation. Beds are 30 cm (12 inches) appart, a garantee you will not only hear your bed mate snore but also smell his breath. Most of the showers are in the same room than the toilet. On a floor with 15 beds, imagine 14 people waiting in the morning to pee while someone takes a shower. The kitchen does not even have a microwave, a testimony that this is a hostel from the 70s.

On the good side, it is in a local neighbourhood of Athens. You get the vibe of locals while walking 30 minutes to the main attractions (it is 30 minutes to the Acropolis). The place is very clean. The WiFi connection was perfect. The manager, Myriam, is great and the only good reason you would go there in my opinion.

Room Tip: Go somewhere where management puts the effort to keep a nice and lively place.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank CanadianTraveller780

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I love the look of this hostel. It has hanging flowers everywhere and feels very exotic. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and had a lot of fun on both of my stays.

You have to pay for the showers and washing facilities but I have never been to a hostel where the washing machines are free and the showers are good. The rooms are so cheap that paing a couple of Euros extra doesn't make it bad value at all.

I walked all over Athens from this hostel. It is centrally located but you will need to walk for a little while before you hit the tourist hotspots.

The kitchen is a little small and if it is busy in the hostel you will need to time it right when wanting to cook.

A big bonus here is the free wifi. Also look out for the tourist ticket books which give you reduced cost admission for certain tourist exhibits. They are usually floating aroung the social area.

If I was visiting Athens again I would book myself in here for another stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Al_Nogeira
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Pagration Youth Hostel advertises many things which simply aren't included, and the maintenance of the building is lacking.

Amenities which are advertised but not included: central heating, wi-fi, safe deposit, information desk, washing machine and dryer, and 24-hour hot water.

I was there in March, and there was no heating in our female dorm. We had a fan, but it was very chilly in the room, and my friend and I were constantly shivering. Additionally, it cost money to take a shower with hot water, and the taps in the bathrooms did not have hot water. I would pay euro to take a shower, but after 5 minutes the shower water would turn icy and I'd have to sprint out and put more money in. Once the machine ate my money, and the staff wouldn't give me a refund.

The safe deposit is just the room where the manager sleeps. There was one young man working 24-7, and when I wanted to get my luggage I had to track him down or wake him up. Though there was an information desk, it was empty the whole time I was there, so in order to get maps, advice, etc, I also had to track the young man down. This man told me he was working for room and board, so it seemed to me that 1) he was overworked, and 2) there wasn't much incentive to provide good service.

I booked a private room, but when I showed up the manager had sent all the queen-sized sheets to the wash so we had no bedding. They gave us some small blankets in place of sheets. Even though they had advance notice, they weren't ready for us.

The wi-fi was out the entire week we were there. They sent us to an internet cafe 10 minutes away, where we had to spend more money to use the internet.

There is also no clothes dryer. After using the washing machine (which costs more euro), I had to walk up a rickety spiral staircase to the roof and line-dry my clothes.

I booked this hostel because I thought it was a good value for my money. But after paying for hot water, internet, and washing, it turned out to be more expensive than other hostels with better resources.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends