“Very clean hotel, very friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Athinaikon

Hotel Athinaikon
Ranked #165 of 326 Hotels in Athens
“Very clean hotel, very friendly”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of July with a friend and I found the hotel to be very clean and the owners to be very kind and helpful. We were always able to ask them about Athens and they were always willing to help find our way around and how to get to places. The rooms were small but it was also very cheap so a good value for money. I would definitely stay here again if I were to come back to Athens.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank amyjennings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Great location, very friendly staff. Conveniently placed between the Omonia (M2) and Monastiraki (M3) rail stations, there is plenty to take in and see from this location. The room, while small, was perfect for a single traveler. Nick, the manager, was very kind to let me store my main bag at the hotel at no charge while I shopped and took in my last day of visiting Athens. I can’t tell you how many times I had to pay an extra service charge. I’d stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a very good location and economical, this is the one.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Well. It took too long to get payment confirmation from hotel to get visa. Hotel sent me confirmation letter only after 2 days and my complain to the booking agent. Ok. I got it. Now... Only one person in a whole hotel is able to take payment from your card. Others don't know how to do it. Check-in was ok. Our room was on 3-rd floor with no elevator. It was kind of gym. Room was economy. Very small with big bathroom. All building is very old. Doors old with metal keys and big opening under, so you can hear everything from corridor. Staff was friendly. Hotel situated in the center area next to local market with fresh fish, meats and veggies. 5 minutes walk from Monastiraki and Omonia square.
I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for economy property, but you must be ready for some inconvenience.

Room Tip: Ask for lower floor cause it has disaster stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
HotelAthinaikon, Manager at Hotel Athinaikon, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hi Viktoria, prepaid bookings are usually processed same or next day made, it depends on the load of work..Just to know charges are not made by the booking companies but by the hotels and manually, booking companies do not even check if the card is valid. As you understand in peak season there might be a small delay, but all this in 1-2 days, i hope it was not a problem for you, even if you make a last minute booking you can pay directly at the hotel.
The hotel is a traditional building, last renovation in 2008 and as a family business doing our best to keep it well maintained and offering the cheapest rates in Psiri area.
Thank you for your feedback and for your 2 week stay.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Pros

Cheap
Private bathroom
Airconditioning
Good location - I love the busy local feel of this area, with shops, food market stalls, etc - doesn't feel as touristy.
Delicious chicken pita wraps for 2 euro at a place just around the corner on Athina St
Supermarket on Athina St near Omonoia Square

Cons

Weird shower system that wets the whole bathroom so takes awhile to dry it all off again.
Horrible bed (springs dug into my hip bones if I lay on my side), and flat pillows
Smoke smell came through airconditioning both nights
They made us give them our key whenever we went out, which I didn't feel very happy about since the keys sit on a shelf in view of other people. The staff are there 24 hours sitting in the next room, so it's probably still safe enough, but I didn't understand why we had to do that.
The first day we managed to sneak out without giving them our key, so they didn't clean the room that day which is preferable for us anyway (no do not disturb sign is provided), but the second day when they cleaned the room they just left the top sheet and blanket sitting on the end of the bed like when we arrived, so we had to remake the bed again ourselves.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Abbie,if you can please email us your hotel details at info@athhotel.com to check the mattress and for the air condition issue you mentioned .
I would to notify that our A/C units are cleaned on frequently basis (filters and indoor – outdoor unites ), for hygiene and for machines max. performance.
Keys are left at the reception for safety reasons as the staff should know who is in and out, As you understand it is our job to know and should be left at the reception when you go out, The room was not cleaned if you did not leave it and sneaked out as you said. The reason your blanket was folded on the side was that we have summer now with outside temperature of 40c, so we fold on the side if you wish to use it-half of hole folded.
There is a sitting room next to the reception, sometimes our staff may be sitting ( not for 24hours! ) but this does not influence at all our duty or check-in process. There is always someone available at your service!
Ill be waiting for your email with your booking details Thank you.
Novi Sad, Serbia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel is situated close to Monastiraki metro station but in a terribly dirty street. The manager was incredibly rude, I literally had to beg him four times to show us to our rooms and help us with luggage up the two flights of rickety stairs. When he finally stopped eating his precious watermelon and helped us he kept yelling and swearing and even came back to my room later to tell me I should have stayed at Hilton if I wanted somebody to help me! He was so obnoxious I just could not believe he was the manager. The only good thing is that the rooms were quite clean although the sheets and towels were rather shabby. However what we did not like was the bathrooms are incredibly small with no shower curtain. That means that when you are showering the water splashes on the toilet and door and the floor is always wet. To make matters worse bot the toilet and the shower in my room were leaking which meant that the room floor was also always wet. The mattresses are very hard and lumpy. All in all I would not recommend it, for that price there are more comfortable places.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
HotelAthinaikon, General Manager at Hotel Athinaikon, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear Alex 21-11,
Thank you for your stay and for your time submitting your review on tripadvisor.
I do believe feedback is important for hotels to improve their services. Our hotel is located on Evrpidou street the famous bachar street where people visit and buy spices and herbs back from the early 1900s. The building is a traditional neoclassic type and in the first 10 hotels of Athens last renovated in 2008. It is close to the central market and Athens top attractions such as the Acropolis, Plaka , Monastiraki and Thisio.

Regarding the time of your check-in, I would like to state our front desk employee did offer and took himself your luggage to your room a few minutes later a demanding attitude from your side for your luggage to be taken right that minute combined with a high voice tone was quite insulting to us and not showing the least respect to elder people, i would like to thank the 2 people (if not mistaken your parents) for being very kind and apologetic. I would like to inform that this kind of service is available usually at 3-4-5 star hotels and even there the time delivered depends on the load of work and may not be delivered that moment even asking for it at a tone.

Alex 21-11 we believe all employee-workers do deserve to have some time for a short lunch-break and this is respected from the owner, this does not effect at all the check-in process and there is always someone for this job. The curtains in bathrooms are on our list and we are scheduling for corrections shortly thank you for mentioning this. Finally, the frustration on the streets you described prior to your check-in plus the incident with our staff was a bad moment and should not characterize you or our partner.
Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Malta
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hotel is located very close to Omonia square where there are many tourist shops and restaurants to choose from. The lady at the reception was very nice and really helpful. They even booked us a minibus to the airport back! The room wasn't big but it was really clean! Clean towels and linen is important and it was provided! Our room was also equipped with an air condition which is really great during the summer heat! The only drawback is that there was no lift so we had to carry our big luggages up 3 storeys! On the whole it was a great hotel with a great service!

Room Tip: Try and choose a room in the lower floors due the the fact that there is no lift!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
HotelAthinaikon, Manager at Hotel Athinaikon, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank youfor your stay Rit003, i read your review on Barcelona and found it very interesting!
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The hotel is located very close to Omonia square. This place is some risky to chose; the first impression is not good for this hotel. However there are so many credits, such as the owners, a family that provided great service. The room was clean, with wi fi internet. The lack of elevator stand as a big drawback. In any case, the location is very advantageous, since the hotel is close to all attractions of Athens within walking distance. It might be some noisy due to the spice market located at the same neighbourhood.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business