“Bright and Sunny Hotel, Spic and Span!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novus City Hotel

Novus City Hotel
Ranked #40 of 325 Hotels in Athens
UAE
“Bright and Sunny Hotel, Spic and Span!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

I was in Athens with my partner for a mixed business and weekend getaway. The hotel is a very new one, located within walking distance of the metro, making it accessible for any kind of outing. Surprisingly, the sightseeing tour bus has a stop just 1 min walk away, so again, it is easy to visit around.

The area (like most of the rest of Athen), is not much to look at, but the hotel stands like a jewel smack in the midst of it. There are no places to eat (in my opinion), but with the metro so close by, getting to Plaka, Monastiraki, or elsewhere around Athens was effortless.

The hotel staff are friendly and the rooms humongous, with very cheerful interior decor. The roof garden is really nice and one can have dinner looking over a well-lit Acropolis.

Room Tip: No need - the rooms are all tastefully decorated
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

We took a last minute trip to Athens a couple weeks ago and from the reviews I was a little weary of the Novus. However, the wonderful value price seemed worth the gamble and I'm so glad we stayed there! Taking the Athens metro from the airport to the hotel COULD NOT have been easier! It's a wonderfully central location--literally one stop away from the Parthenon--and very easy to navigate.

I thought the location seemed perfectly safe and we really enjoyed being able to drop into the hotel between afternoon activities and dinner plans, or grab a cup of coffee or drink the neighborhood before heading out again. Wonderful to be in a hotel with such an urban convenient environment.

On the less than glowing side, the complaints about the street noise are not exaggeration. We had our double paned windows fully closed and there was still a fair amount of street noise that reached us. However, we live in a large city and have this same issue in our home so it is really just the consequence of being in a large active city, rather than a fundamental shortcoming of the hotel. I think the noise on the inside side of the hotel would be lessened, but we didn't have the wherewithal to change rooms, and we were so tired every night from walking all over Athens that it certainly did not keep me from getting a great night's sleep!

Our favorite thing about the hotel was the breakfast...aside from the instant coffee (which isn't really coffee at all...) There are so many choices and as we're early risers everything was hot and fresh when we headed downstairs.

We were thrilled with the location, service and value of this hotel. We would definitely stay there again were we to return to Athens in the near future. Great value for money at a fun modern vibey hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Greater Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

We chose Novus for a 5 night break in Feb 2011, for a family party of 4 adults and 3 small children. We had a junior suite and a twin room, both on the seventh floor. The former was a good layout for a family: a bedroom and a connected living room, both giving onto a private roof terrace, which we didn't use much as the weather was fairly cold. The twin room at the back of the building had a great clear view of the Acropolis, though rooms lower down the building would not have this.

We had a fantastic stay. The hotel is less than a year old and still in near-new condition. It's stylishly designed, contemporary, with nice use of colour. It's all quite compact but makes good use of space. The beds were really comfortable. The two main public areas are the airy ground floor breakfast room and top floor bar area, with outdoor plunge pool and views. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and varied; we didn't get bored of it five times in a row. As other reviewers have said, the immediately surrounding area is nondescript but the hotel is close to a central Metro stop and the location presumably reflected in the good rates.

What really made it memorable for us was the staff. Several of them took our adult daughter and boyfriend out partying in the city - which seemed well beyond the call of duty. The staff were a mix of ages and personalities but all friendly, 'real' and professional, from first check-in to departure. Thanks everyone - we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Ioannina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

Visited the Novus hotel for only a night. Was offered at a very good price a modern, quite large room, free Wifi and free underground parking. Reception, security and bar-breakfast stuff were nice, smiley and helpful. There was nothing in the minibar, but the hotel offers room service till midnight. Noise was not so much problem to me. It is not 100% soundproof for sure, but considering the heavy traffic in the area, it is ok.
The Metro station is 200m away, 2 stops fron syntagma square, 3 from the acropolis stop, which means 10-15 minutes fot the business center, shops or acropolis and the surrounding tourist attractions.

The only cons on this hotel is the surrounding area in terms of security. Just avoid walking this area late at night, just prefer to come back with the underground or my taxi late at night.

in this price, considering parking cost in the area, the free internet and the new building, is from now on No1 choice for my business trips to Athens.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank wowos
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

I chose the Novus City Hotel after reading all the recommendations from fellow Tripadvisor members and I was not disappointed. The Hotel is located close to the Metzxourghio metro station (2-3 min walk). If you arrive by the Metro, be careful while crossing the street to the hotel as there is no pedistrian crossing and the vehicle drivers do not stop for people crossing. You have to try to cross the road when possible.

The hotel itself is very modern with nice rooms. My room was very comfortable with all required necessities. I had a good sleep both days that I stayed in this Hotel. The hotel has a rooftop pool and bar. There is an amazing view of the Acropolis from the rooftop. That itself is worth to choose this hotel for your stay in Athens. The Plaka and the Monastiraki areas are easily accessible by the Metro. Be careful on the Metro though. In the rush hour times I felt many times hands going into my pockets but I had kept my wallet somewhere else luckily.

I must compliment the bar tender on the night of 25 Dec 2010. She made me favorite drink 'Long Island Ice Tea' even though it was not on the menu. I did not get her name though. Too bad the bar tender on the next day did not know how to make it.

I made a mistake of going to Athens on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Most of the sights were closed and I had to see many sights only from the outside. I surely plan to visit Athens again in the summer and at that time, I would surely choose the Novus City Hotel again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

While I am not much of a fan of Athens itself, it was a pleasure to come back to this hotel after a day out around town. Convenient to everything, if not the nicest part of town, I would recommend this hotel highly. The staff is nice, the accommodations very comfortable, and the rooftop bar area offers great views. The buffet breakfast offers a lot of variety. Overall, a great value that is hard to beat.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael B
Nürnberg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

The hotel is quite new and has a stylish interior design. The rooms have a normal size and parquet floor. Bath rooms can not be locked and they have a window between bathroom and bedroom. That window has a jalousie, but it didn't work. Same with the jalousie of the normal windows. Minus points here.

Further minus points: The AC in the breakfast-room did not work - it cooled down instead of warming. Btw: outside temperature: 5°C

Having fixed these small things - the hotel would be perfect. Very convenient location to the next metro station (100m).

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends