“Maybe not the best area but the staff makes up for it!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Lozanni

Hotel Lozanni
Ranked #260 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Avoca, Ireland
“Maybe not the best area but the staff makes up for it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

Ok it must be said that the area leaves a lot to be desired but everything else was fine! I don't know what these other people expected, it is a HOSTEL, not a HOTEL. The room that our group had was fine, just bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper! The staff in particular Villinus were amazing! For the first night we were there, the bar was closed because the barman had been in an accident. On the second night it was still closed, but Villinus, allowed us to have the run of the bar ourselves, trusting us not to steal any drink! On the third night he came into the bar to serve us because the barman still was not ok, and he played drinking games with us for the whole night! Made out stay in Athens! Just for that you should stay here!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank marykatekeegan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Port Moody, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

The area of town is not ideal, as it is in a poorer section of town, but it is about two blocks away to the metro, which is easy to use. I found the room, which I had as a single person, to be clean and rather charming. I was on the first floor, as I had a HUGE suitcase. Don't think there's a lift. The folks on the desk were wonderful and very helpful. There was traffic noise, but after around 11 pm it died down. All in all, I liked this hostel!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank taowalker
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

My girlfriend and I spent a number of nights here strung out over a couple of weeks as we visited various parts of the south of Greece.

The area is very much "downtown". It's very unsavioury at night - prostitutes, sex shops and plenty of bad men roaming the streets. I would not have let my girlfiend go out alone in this area. Omonia square is definitely to be avoided. Even McDonalds had a security man on its door at night. Police trawl the area constantly. There are plenty of more salubrious areas to stay in Athens.

Two of our three rooms we experienced here faced the street. It's a busy junction and the traffic noise is continuous throughout the night. It does not abate. Had three awful nights sleep. There is one plug socket in each - about two metres up the wall. It's more than likely, you won't even reach it. The TV was antiquated. No remote control. Unless tall, you again won't reach it. The air conditioning required a remote control from reception. You had to return it the minute you had used it, even if you were on the 3rd floor. Seems there are only two or three remotes for the entire building - ridiculous.

The shared shower and loo facilities were horrible. One shower even had a loo right next to it in the same space. Bizarre.

The sheets in the room weren't big enough for the bed. The duvet stashed in the cupboard stank and was filthy and stained. Absolutely filthy. You were given a tea towel-sized body towel to use. Ridiculously small.

The staff were temperamentally erratic. Two, who were greek, were most unfriendly. Your stay with them really was a chore. One, old, communicated in grunts. There were two others however, an Englishman and a third young greek man who were happier to help. Hit-and-miss which of these manned reception.

We asked that our third room face away from the road. It was far quieter. The view was of the backside of an abandoned building and its fans. Worth the sacrifice though for a quiet night's sleep.

All in all, avoid like the plague.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kentish_9

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Timisoara, Romania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

I had to spend a night in Athens, between planes. As next day I would have two important meetings in Romania, I had to have a good night rest. I chose an inexpensive hotel, in what I thought was an OK area of Athens (it is one of the two central squares). Well, the area is the main issue - it is located in the middle of the ghetto. If they did not charge my card already when I booked the hotel, I would have rather returned to the airport or asked my Athenian friend to find me another place. At 3 AM, when I left the hotel for my early flight, the prostitutes were looking for clients just in front of it. I called a cab, and, for a very short distance to the other square, where the airport bus is located, I had to pay 8 euros. In conclusion: avoid, not that much for the hotel itself, but for the horrible, horrible area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank exoplanet
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

Can only echo other comments here.

The area is horrible - all the streets around smelled of urine. It's on a busy, noisy intersection. So no chance of sleep.

They also messed up our booking - so we had a five bed dorm rather than a private ensuite double. If we weren't so tired and hadn't paid a deposit we would have left on check in.

A large dead cockroach in the bathroom hadn't been cleared away, every piece of furniture I touched was broken or came away from the wall and we had to 'borrow' the one and only TV and air conditioning remotes from reception.

The only merit this place has is free internet.

I'm sure you can find better for the price too.

• Liked — Free internet
  • Disliked — Location, room, noise, i.e. almost everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chinkle
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2008

We were searching for something basic for one night (but not cockroach ridden) around Omonia metro station on Hostelbookers.com and found this. When we went for check-in, we were told that the double w/private bathroom is no longer there and the only available ones are 5 bed share and 3 bed share. Disappointed but accepted to stay in 5 bed (simply because it was empty and had a bathroom).
But what a little shop of horrors!!! cockroaches, broken bed, filthy sheets. The best bit (if you stll are not deterred) is the Free Internet / 2 PCs.

• Liked — Free Internet
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Wellington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2007

This place is truely awful. We travelled for four months staying in hotels and hostels every night and nothing came close to being as bad as Hotel Lozanni. Where do I start...It is Loud!!! with a noisy bar right next to the rooms and it is on the corner of a major noisy intersection in a pretty horrible part of town. It is FILTHY! We stayed in three different rooms and in all of them the bathrooms stunk!! There was even a burnt out ciggarette but on our basin and left over food from the people before us on our bedstand. They only have disgusting old single sheets for double beds so you end up sleeping on the bare piss stained smelly mattress. We could really smell the piss. It was so bad in fact that in the room we had the last night neither of us slept at all for fear of rolling onto the mattress. The blankets are disgusting, filthy and old too. On top of all that the staff were horrible and tried to make out like it was all our problem. If you are looking to stay in Athens there are plenty of places much nicer than this for the same price and less. Stay in or as close to the Plaka as possible. DON'T STAY HERE!! (By the way Lozanni is not a Hotel as it advertises it is a hostel, nor do they serve any breakfast as they also adverties) Staying here almost ruined our experience of Athens.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007