“Average and pricey”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Kolonaki / Lykavittos
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Ok this restaurant is located in kolonaki and it has a few more locations. It has been around for long and a few people I know have tried in the past and liked it.

The wine list was diverse but most wines, even greek ones were over priced. This is a good indication on the profit margin a restaurant imposes on its menu.

We had a salad with plevrotous mushrooms at €17! Pricey considering the mushrooms were local.

My main dish was baby calamari with truffle oil mashed potato. Baby calamari was frozen but was cooked good. The mashed potato was veeeery average. It was clumpy, not creamy, grainy and the truffle oil could not save this disaster. This dish was €20+. My brother had seafood spagetti which was average. Mussels were very bad too.

Considering the legacy of this restaurant I might give it another try, but if i have other options i would opt for those I think.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We had a delicious dinner at Prytanion restaurant. It is a restaurant with very high quality and good services, in a pleasant environment closed to Lycabetus. It is place visited by local people who like good and healthy food. So not a commercial touristic place. For foreigners it will be a nice opportunity to see a real Greek life! When you will be in Athens I will recommend you to go there and enjoy lovely food and pleasant communication.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I went to Prytanion because this restaurant was recommended to me.Is five minutes
walking distance from syntagma sguare at milioni str.is pedestrian,but never sit outside
is very very noisy,inside has a very warm atmosphere stone and wood.Food is really
very good, tasty and there is a quality on everything from bread to dessert and all fresh.
His cuisine is based on Greek and Mediteranean ,but most has greek delicious.Portions are
very large,and very friendly service.Is very expensive around 40 - 50 euros per person,but
really worth it,also there is a menu 20 euros per person with so many choises.This restaurant
is ideal for Greeks and tourists of course.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Prytanion is always my steady choice when we need to dine out with customers staying in a central Athens hotel. The main reason: guests always like to mix up with locals in lively place and Milioni walkway (very near Kolonaki square) is always packed mostly with young people! On the other hand, this restaurant offers always fresh food, giant portions (regardless first or main plate). Last but not least, if the customers are from far East, they will not be disapointed by their sea food.
We were 6 people that night and started with 2 large salads and 2 plates of pasta and rice with sea food as a starter for all of us. All Prytanion salads are "designed" (obviously Italian style) with more than 6 different elements and thus six different tastes! The use of sauces is very subtle as there is enough variety and strength of tastes and odours anyway. This is always the main difference of Greek foods against French food where taste is "covered" by sauces, I think. The choice of white wine was superb with "Vivlia Chora" , a terrific mountain Macedonian white!
the main courses were steamed sea bass with black rice, miced rice with vegetables and 2 types of pasta wit h sea food. Giant portions indeed with a very light Mediterranean cooking style. We continued the same white wine with our mixed fruit central plate. The final espresso was delightful. The price of this diner was as usually at around 55 euros per person.
The noise of the walkway and too much passing by can be annoying...

1  Thank KONSTANTINOS M
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was very excited about this restaurant but unfortunately it was kind of a disappointment. I decided to sit outside and enjoy the nice spring weather. I was disturbed by 3-4 times by the beggars no one has done nothing. I ordered oysters but although it was early evening, they were out of oysters. Instead the waiter suggested mussels, it was nothing special. For the main course, I preferred grilled scrimps with lobster sauce. Before I finish the mussels, they served the main course. I need to help myself to get rid of the first plate and serve myself the main dish. And the taste was so ordinary. I can't say that it was bad but don't set your expectations high!