“Thanasis Taverna”

Ranked #107 of 3,925 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Monastiraki
La Plata, Maryland
“Thanasis Taverna”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was by far the most reasonably priced and best Souvlaki I had in Greece and I ate at many places in Mykonos, Rhodes, Patmos, Crete, Santorini, etc... I had this my 2nd day in Athens and nothing was quite as good the rest of my trip. I would highly recommend it as it is very well priced (around 14 euro for a Souvlaki with fries and a Coke Light). it was very busy but the staff was attentive and our food came out quickly.

• Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing food, inexpensive”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were on our honeymoon and were spending the last few days of it in Athens. We flew in on a Thursday afternoon, and wound up jumping in cab to our hotel right near the Acropolis. On the cab ride in, my wife and I chatted up the driver and he told us to cancel our dinner reservation and go to Thanasis. He said it was one of his favorite places to eat in the city, so we decided to try it.

He was right. Our meal was one of the best we had all trip and definitely one of the cheapest. If I ever find myself back in Athens, I'll be stopping there again.

• Visited August 2013
Los Angeles
“Cheap and good”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Some say this is the place for the best giros in Athens. I would not say so, but it is cheap, and bustling, and a sit-down restaurant on the square. It is likely, though, that you may have a smoker sitting close to you.

• Visited June 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“Forgettable”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A rather large, very average, forgettable, and tourist laden place on a lane just off Monastiraki Square. Good people watching is probably its best attribute with so many other restaurants hugging the same narrow street.

We didn't find anything memorable or worth another visit. Prices were average for this type of sit down Souvlaki joint.

With so many good whole in the wall Souvlaki places scattered around Athens, we wished we would have given Thanasis a pass and saved room for something more interesting.

• Visited June 2014
Greenwich
“Where the locals go...”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

While touring Athens, a local told us to eat at Thanasis. I was a bit worried because I am celiac and need to be gluten free. No problem! I explained my situation to the waiter and was served a wonderful meal.

• Visited May 2014