“How can anyone complain about this?”
Review of Thanasis

Thanasis
Ranked #104 of 2,492 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Monastiraki
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

After having been recommended to try the pita gyros by our driver, we came to eat, €2.40 for a pork gyros. Seriously great value for money.

We had 2 pork gyros, I had a 500ml Heineken and the wife had a can of sprite, the bill came to €8.90.

There are newer reviews for Thanasis

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Reasonable food but I find this place a little overrated. They are famous for their kebab but apart from that I found their Greek salad lacking and their pork souvlaki dry. Have been a few times over the years and would not be rushing to go back

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We came here on our first day in Athens . Walking up the street we where accosted by the waiter . Normally we keep walking but this guy was so entertaining we decided to stop for lunch , we ordered the thanasis special kebab .which is basically three spicy mince parties rolled on a souvlaki stick on a plate with some gyros bread , tzaziki and salad. It was really filling especially as this wAs our first meal of the day .We really enjoyed the people watching and the banter with the waiter as well as his efforts in trying to entice customers to his restaurant . Thanasis is famous for its kebabs , so it's a must do spot in Athens .

1  Thank RickX01
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was by far the most reasonably priced and best Souvlaki I had in Greece and I ate at many places in Mykonos, Rhodes, Patmos, Crete, Santorini, etc... I had this my 2nd day in Athens and nothing was quite as good the rest of my trip. I would highly recommend it as it is very well priced (around 14 euro for a Souvlaki with fries and a Coke Light). it was very busy but the staff was attentive and our food came out quickly.

1  Thank Jackie W
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were on our honeymoon and were spending the last few days of it in Athens. We flew in on a Thursday afternoon, and wound up jumping in cab to our hotel right near the Acropolis. On the cab ride in, my wife and I chatted up the driver and he told us to cancel our dinner reservation and go to Thanasis. He said it was one of his favorite places to eat in the city, so we decided to try it.

He was right. Our meal was one of the best we had all trip and definitely one of the cheapest. If I ever find myself back in Athens, I'll be stopping there again.