“A lesson in Greek Cuisine”
Review of Klimataria

Klimataria
Ranked #101 of 3,715 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Omonia
“A lesson in Greek Cuisine”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Let me begin by saying, I am a Greek American and have been cooking Greek food since childhood under the tuteledge of my mother. I took this class to learn if American Greek cooking differs from the Athenian style. I was not disappointed! Led by the effervescent Mary, I learned some tricks to simplify the traditional recipes. Held in a traditional taverna, the class teaches how to prepare six starters and one main course. Eggplant pies, feta cheese salad ,Taziki and grape leaves. During the class, you will enjoy wine, bread, the appetizers you help create and convivial conversation with Mary. Mary is an excellent teacher and enjoys learning too. She will make you feel like you are in her own kitchen. At the end of the class, you sit down to a meal of roast lamb. I learned many things from Mary. I highly recommend this class whether you are a novice cook or a chef. Mary even helped us find our way safely back to the hotel by calling us a taxi. This class is like coming home. See Athens walking tours to book this unforgettable experience. Thanks Mary ,

• Visited August 2014

Kailua kona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slightly forgetful”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The tavern is very homey and the service is excellent. Our only complaints were that the staff was a little forgetful and it was in a slightly bad area. We went late at night and would recommend going before the sun sets. Overall the food was awesome and the staff was very kind and helpful.

1 Thank KaylaMilke
cheshire
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We were at Klimataria 3 times during our recent trip to Athens. The first was a stop for tzatziki (yum!) on our Athens Walking Tours food walk in the morning. The second was for an absolutely amazing cooking & wine tasting class in the evening. And the third was to bring our best friends there for a special dinner. The taverna is a very special place. Maria and Pericles make you feel like you are old friends, and oh by the way, the food is wonderful. Do not miss this special place!

Visited June 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“Would probably give it three and a half.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This place is a little hard to find (have a good map and it helps) and probably not in the best neighbourhood which may make some a little uncomfortable.

First off the food and value was good and we had a tasty meal (the tomato pie was delicious and enough as a main course dish) and the service was friendly too.

I do think being near the top of Trip Advisors ratings does mean that you get more of an international crowd than locals (and certainly the case on our visit) and whilst the internal ambience was pleasant and felt like you were outdoors even though you were not I was a little put off by people being allowed to smoke in the restaurant (apparently the law is not always adhered to) despite the non smoking signs.

Brooklyn, New York
“Did not experience the hype”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Walked in to the restaurant while there was a cooking class in session in the back which was pretty cool. My GF and I watched the class in session and ordered a Lamb dish, Greek Salad, Grilled Shrimp, and the Beef with tomato dish. The waiter messed up the order and we ended up with Eggplant dish instead of the Beef with tomato dish. Considering this was the first meal in Greece, this was an extremely put off by the place and service.

As for the dishes that we did eat, the lamb was tough and dry. The Greek salad is greek salad... cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, etc... no much I can review for this. The shrimps were delicious, however I did realize one was still raw in the middle.

• Visited July 2014