“Quaint Hotel with Home-away-from-Home Spirit”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Lilia

Hotel Lilia
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Piraeus
San Francisco, California
“Quaint Hotel with Home-away-from-Home Spirit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Lillia last week and it was a great way to end my trip to Greece. The room was small, but that is what you expect when you are traveling in Europe. The accommodations were also very reasonably priced. I was in Greece for two weeks and stayed at several hotels and this hotel by far was the cleanest hotel we stayed. We stayed on the 1st floor facing the street and even though we faced the street, the room was quiet and the amenities in the room (TV, a/c, fridge) worked great, better than most of the hotels we stayed. The Family who runs the hotel is very nice, dependable, and friendly. They and their staff were always very attentive to our needs, especially at breakfast. The hotel serves continental breakfast and as a person who eats healthy food, it was just right. They always fixed a fresh pot of coffee every time we ate breakfast. When we travel we spend most our time out sightseeing and engaging in the culture, so location is a big deal to us. The location was perfect being 2 blocks from the marinas and a 10 minute walk to Mikrolimano where they have excellent restaurants and a good nightlife / social atmosphere. We never felt uncomfortable walking around a night and there was lots to see with the bars/restaurants/swimming pools / outdoor theatres lining the shoreline. The location is also a few blocks from the main shopping district which also has the A1 bus that can take you to the better beaches further South. Again, the Family were very gracious and even helped us make a reservation for a local restaurant (Zorba's on Mikrolimano) which had excellent food and the owner/wait staff took very good care of us thanks to the Lillia Hotel. The final "piece de resistance" that I am truly grateful is they actually found my cellphone the last day we were in Greece. I had misplaced it near the entrance to the hotel and didn't realize it until I was too far away to do anything about it. When I got back to the hotel, they immediately saw me enter and told me they found the phone. I didn't even have to ask. I plan to send them a care package from San Francisco, I am so grateful! You don't get that kind of hospitality in just any hotel. They are truly very genuine and kind people. One last thing I want to mention is that I am a big advocate of supporting small local businesses and they are as well. When we were there, the Family called on their friends and neighbors who provided taxi service to us, supporting their local community. I think that is very important and that's why I know I will return some day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Homer P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Lilia Hotel is located near the port of Piraeus. Its about two minutes walking distance. By American standards, its small, but very affordable and clean. The staff is very friendly, speaking English and tolerating our attempts to speak a few words of Greek. They were very informative for taking local transport or taxi. The owner had many connections for directing us to restaurants and finding our way around the area. He even called a restaurant for us, telling them that we were on our way. When we got to Zorba's seafood , they had a table ready for us next to the open air view of the harbor.
Shopping is walking distance and not in the tourist area of the Plaka where prices are much higher.
WE easily walked to restaurants located along the water front. Prices were reasonable.
One incident occurred where my partner dropped his phone on our way out the door. Upon arriving back at the hotel, our host informed us of having his cell phone. We tried to pay him an extra tip, but he refused to take it! I thought this very generous on his part.

Room Tip: The rooms are small with balconies. WE stayed on the first floor, above the lobby with a view of th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was a nice hotel conveniently located close to the port. Needed a taxi to get there, you cannot walk especially with bags... but it was cheap and the hotel arranged it even at the very early hour of 6AM. The room was clean but small. There is no safe. The staff in the morning was nicer than the staff who welcomed us. The breakfast was a plus! There is a nice nightlife in the area and it seems to be safe, but I was only thre for one night so I can't say for sure. It is located close to the bus to Athens but it might be worth taking a taxi for around 10 euro because the bus took a very long time to come and then a long time to get to the Acropolis.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I recommend the hotel for short stay. Very clean, friendly staff, good beds. Close to the small harbour, lots of restaurants nearby. Good shopping possibilities in the neighbourhood. Quiet street. The breakfast was also satisfactory. Would surely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Camarillo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel staff were responsive when asked a question but generally did not appear particularly warm and friendly. Our room was small, which is not unexpected for a European hotel; however, the entrance to the room (we were on the 5th floor) was a bit unsettling as you had to step from the very tiny elevator landing space over a steep flight of stairs to get into the room. One misstep and we would have tumbled down the stairs. One positive feature was the fairly spacious private patio outside the room, although the view from there was just the tops of other buildings. Another positive about Hotel Lilia was the location - we were able to walk easily to area restaurants and shops, including at the waterfront. The breakfast was very disappointing - terrible coffee and limited food choices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Ovreall it´s a small and nice hotel.
It's located close to the port and walking distance from the bustop from the Airport. Clean and the service was very god. The breakfast was god.
I stongly recomende this hotel. I stayed only one night but will for sure use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Room was Clean and terrass was nice. Evenif my room was located on the streetside is was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Hotel Lilia was an amazing place to stay.. As a student I loved not only the location but the hospitality... The hotel owners were so kind and friendly.. Every day that I would wake up I would go downstairs and see smiling face willing to help with any tourist idea I had. For instance, I wanted to go to Delphi for the day but I wanted to take the public transportation. The guys in the hotel were so kind and helped me plan out my trip and the morning of my trip called the cab and told him exactly where I was going. The small things are what mattered. I had a blast on my tip to Greece and it was mainly because the people that ran my hotel and made sure I was on the right track. Perhaps the most amazing thing about my stay was the last day before I went to get the plane home, the owners of the hotel gave me a hand made statue of Athena and a single pink rose for my journey. It touched my heart that they thought that much of me.. I felt like I was leaving family. The port is very convenient and it is central to going on the boats or even going to Athens or Corinth for the day. The rooms are nice.. Staff is nice and most impotently the environment was amazing... THANK YOU HOTEL LILIA FOR A TRIP TO REMEMBER!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo