“Great Hotel, Staff & Highly Recommended”

Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Anissaras
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Returned yesterday with my family from 2 weeks at the Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa Hotel and what a great time we had.

To dispell a few myths I read on here before we went away:

a) Pool Towels and sunloungers. At the start of out holiday, this was a major problem and found myself having to get up at stupid-o-clock to get sunbeds, but guess what? As soon as other Brits started to fly home to get kids to school, guess what? Loungers became available! This is a problem created by us Brits so to blame other nationalities or the hotel is ridiculous. If we were all sensible we would all enjoy our holiday a lot more.
b) Food. Meals at the A-La-Carte restaurants were superb. In the main restaurant I wouldn't call the food repetitive as there were enough main courses to vary your choices. I'm assuming those who think the food is repetitive may be a tad fussy?

The hotel, even when full, never feels overcrowded so there's not that sense of continuously walking past people and feeling claustrophobic, which is key for me. The hotel staff were all extremely friendly and some (already mentioned on other posts) go out of their way to make you feel welcome and a valued guest. The entertainment was... entertaining! The rooms were always clean, modern fittings with a hint of antiquity which was charming. Loved the large walk-in shower!

Would def recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an all inclusive holiday looking for peace & quiet yet if you like activities in the day/evening, you can find these here too.

9  Thank scrumpy3708
There are newer reviews for Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Have you ever been more tired when you return from a holiday than before you went? Well here is your opportunity, welcome to sunbed and restaurant hell AKA Mitsis Laguna Spa & Resort Crete.

Trip Advisor, in my opinion, is on a par with Ebay when it comes to customers feedback. If hundreds of people have left negative feedback for a seller stating things like poor quality, poor communication and feel completely ripped off, people still buy from that person because we’re human and we don’t think it will ever happen to me. So as I write this I keep having to ask myself “Why didn’t I take notice of the worthwhile points people had made over and over again?” Those bloody sunbeds. On the very first day, my wife said “If you snooze you lose” and she wasn’t joking. From 5 am you see all the sad little people scuttling around outside wearing their dressing gowns (that you have to beg for) armed with their beach towels, (again a nightmare to get hold of) and gunning for the sunbeds. But it doesn’t stop there, the beds around the pool aren’t good enough for these saddos, they even walk over to the beach and claim beds over there too. So they ‘beach it’ in the morning whilst their lovely sunbeds around the pool stay untouched All day, they slowly come back at around 5pm and take their towels away meaning the beds haven’t been touched all day. And that’s only the beginning of the disappointment of this worthless hotel.

I am not a snob far from it, I have worked hard in life and been fortunate to take my family to some stunning hotels around the world and especially Europe. As part of my working week I often spend a couple of nights living out of a suitcase in some hotel somewhere. I have experienced numerous hotels in my lifetime and therefore I feel that I have the experience to judge other hotels. So when I hummed and hard and had to decide where to go this year, I thought lets go back to Greece as we enjoyed a few trips in the past there and have had an excellent experience. For us Brits we know that when an European hotel states it a 5* resort, we all know it isn’t. However the ones we have stayed in Europe before do honestly live up to a 5* UK hotel. They have been faultless until now. That said, they are normally German owned and operated so what do you aspect.

So how do I rate this place?
Well the buildings and the grounds are impressive, as are the staff. The pools are large, warm, clean and well designed. The furnishings are good, comfortable as are the facilities if lacking the small luxury touches. Unfortunately that’s where it stops and at 400 Euros a night, its way off the mark and I mean way off. I often stay at a Holiday Inn which is only a 3* and can honestly say it knocks spots of this place for quality. So why do many of the Trip Advisor reviews rate this place so highly? I think I have the answer. The answer is simply down to clientele that comes here and what they are used too. As I write this, I can spot 10 people within 30 feet of me reading the Sun newspaper so that explains the UK guests. As for all of the other guests, tattoos and lots of bling come to mind. So when you read back through the Trip Advisor reviews and see comments like “Amazing”, “Best hotel in the world” or “Wow” I imagine that those folks just haven’t travelled. But for have travelled then I wouldn’t rate it any more than a 3*. Which 5 star hotels give you ripped towels and dressing gowns, make you brawl over sunbeds and towels and provide food and drink equivalent to school dinner?

I know that’s sounds terribly snobbish and I am not putting Sun readers down, all I am saying is that this isn’t a Fantastic hotel, it doesn’t have the wow factor nor would I come running back. There are simply too many things that need addressing and the fact of the matter is, they cannot cope with the number of residents in a hotel of this size. There are too many rooms to the amount of facilities. They even ran out of towels on our first day after an hour. People were being forced to purchase lilos as there aren’t enough sunbeds and they have even stopped putting beer in your fridge as it was becoming too expensive for them. There isn’t any Wi-Fi like they state nor can you book the restaurants for the first 4 days of your stay. This is due to the “themed “restaurants only being able to accommodate 200 people a night!!!!!! The booze quality I imagine would equal something you would buy in Lidl, watered down and terrible quality. They even have the cheek to have a Champagne bar that only serves sweet sparkling wine. Yuk. Also if you like to drink anything else other than wine or beer whilst dinning then tuff luck you cant.

There’s no turn down service as stated, no dressing gown (you have to ask for them) only one pillow each, 6 coat hangers and only one UK TV channel. I could go on and on but I have work to do. My advice is don’t book this hotel until they either sack the management team or its bought out by a proper hotel chain.

10  Thank milner
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Staying here right now and it is disappointing. Rooms are okay, food is without variety and the wine is tasteless. Female personel very friendly. However, very loud entertainment untill 23 h and no possibilities to get another room. With little children an unpleasant surprise. Horrible beach.
No all day availability of drinks/coffee (despite all day bar), no coffee making facilities in the room. To boil water for baby milk, a cooker was available after 2 days, but only after a deposit of 20 euros. Although the all inclusive concept seemed promising, maybe it is just not for us. Travelling as a couple or relaxing without (little) children: this hotel is okay.

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank Dromedaris
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stayed between 15th August to 1st Sept 2012 and did not want to leave!!
We are a family of 5, including 3 girls (19, 17 and almost 16 years old). However we did become a family of 6 whilst on holiday, as we 'adopted' the hilarious and extremely charismatic Alex from the Animation Team. What a star!!
We have stayed at the Mitsis Blue Domes resort in Kos for the previous 2 years, so the Laguna in Crete had a lot to live up to. We were not disappointed.
Janis who runs the front desk/reception was extremely helpful from the outset. In fact all of the staff on reception were extremely helpful and efficient throughout our stay. The food in all of the restaurants was of very good quality and we found the booking system (3 days in advance) for the smaller speciality restaurants to be pretty fair. The Asian and Italian were our favourites overall.
The resort is extremely clean and spacious and the pools are vast and never crowded. The hotel beach is small and shingly and there are several of other beaches within easy walking distance, The rooms are large and airy and very well appointed. Air conditioning was excellent and bathrooms are clean, spacious with excellent facilities.
The staff in most of the bars are extremely friendly and helpful.Thassos in the Theatre Bar has a great sense of humour as well as being great at his job. Visited the Champagne Bar on a couple of occasions, including a birthday celebration, which was very enjoyable with excellent attentive service from Maria.
The Animation Team work hard during the day in providing different activities including; aqua gym in two pools, water polo, football, volley ball and much more. We particularly enjoyed the water polo with Chris. The aqua gym to music in the smaller pool was great fun and impossible not to laugh and grin throughout; thanks to Alex. The Animation Team have the balance right and all members are extremely friendly and not at all intrusive. We enjoyed the shows in the evenings, which we found varied and entertaining. We recorded the Sister Act on our phones which was hilarious and cheers us up now we are home.
We hired a car, which is definitely worth doing. A visit to Spinalonga Island is a must, especially if you have read The Island by Victoria Hislop.
A few things could be improved to make the Laguna perfect. Firstly you do have to get up extremely early to put towels on sun beds and this got even earlier as the holiday progressed. We felt guilty doing this but you end up 'playing the game' as there is no alternative. Perhaps the hotel could ban reserving sun beds before 6am, as some people were reserving theirs before they even went to bed! Another irritation is the enforcement of rule of men wearing long trousers in the main restaurant in the evening. Seems old fashioned and unnecessary, when this does not apply to the speciality resaurants. The tennis court is an excellent facility, but the raquets and balls desperately need replacing.These little niggles were minor and did not seriously affect the enjoyment of our holiday. A fantastic holiday overall!
A big 'thank you' must go to Alex from the Animation Team who really helped to make our holiday so special.He is a lovely, friendly guy who is extremely charismatic and fantastic at his job. We are sure he will go far!!

4  Thank Moore S
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We arrived to the best reception ever from the lovely smiling face of Maria who undeniably is superb at her job. The hotel is well appointed and has tremendous feeling of space and rooms are a nice surprise with everything more than expected. The staff are really happy to extend courtesy and love children, its a great family hotel for all. Food is excellent with a tremendous choice in the main restaurant for all palates, the smaller restaurants are lovely and booking is fair so that guests all get a chance to use them. Swimmingpools are vast and no matter how full the hotel is they never seem too crowded. BIGGEST PROBLEM IS SUNBEDS - YOU HAVE TO GET UP AT 5AM EEVRYDAY TO RESERVE A SUNBED AS THEY ARE ALL GONE BY BREAKFAST. THIS IS THE ONLY FAULT OF A SUPERB HOTEL AND IS CRAZY LET DOWN.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Simon C
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Stayed between 15th June to 29th June 2 couples

New hotel excellent service but not a lot of entertainment for adults.Don't know how it will stand up to wear & tear a lot of the grout was missing in the bathroom + the shower screen leaked water all over the floor. Reported but no action was taken.

Good quality food plenty of options even had some vegetarian options

Only problems we had was getting clean towels for round the pool.Hotel aware but slow to react.

We all love Greece but if you shut your eyes you could think you were in Eastern Europe they seem to have taken over the hotel + not many British people on holiday.But still we enjoyed the holiday.

Room Tip: book restaurants early
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bistokid1961
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We were upgraded to this hotel because ours hadn't opened in time and how lucky we were, everything about this hotel was great, room, sea view, food, staff, could not be faulted. Free water sports, a tip is to eat in the themed restaurants ie Italian, Chinese etc would love to go ack again

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jude1112
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anissaras
Creta Maris Beach Resort
Serita Beach Hotel
Serita Beach Hotel
#4 of 7 in Anissaras
Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!