“Good hotel shame about the food.”

Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Anissaras
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed for a week June 20th -27th this year, had a really good time at the hotel the bedroom was magnificent really big with plenty of storage space,bathroom equally as good with both a bath and walk in shower included,and also a large balcony with decent partial sea views and lovely garden views.The room number was 154 located in the main building of the hotel.
Another good point was the cleanliness of the hotel with both a good standard of cleaning and the maintenance of the hotel grounds looking very well kept.
The biggest downfall that lets the hotel down in my opinion is the quality of the food and the very tepid temperature of the meals that were on the so called hot plate! I do feel that more should be done to rectify this problem.

The drinks around the hotel were very good with plenty of options at the different bars and the waiter service was excellent.
The pools were good nice and warm to swim in albeit not very deep so no diving in which is not a bad thing with the amount of people around the pool areas,Sun-beds very comfortable with comfy mattresses and fairly good space areas to relax.
All in all this is a very nice hotel if the management could sort out the food issues then I would rate it higher than four out of five rating.

Room Tip: Room 154 in main building.
4  Thank BigPhil187069
There are newer reviews for Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the Mitsis Laguna for a week during the Easter holidays and it was amazing! The rooms were clean, large and modern with the mini bar refilled daily. The highlight of our stay was the restaurants - we tried them all except the sushi restaurant and we thought they were all excellent! It was far more relaxing having table service than queuing up at a buffet. We ate in the main restaurant at breakfast but it was often very busy. The all inclusive package was a great deal - whenever I ordered a glass of wine they brought the whole bottle! The champagne bar is also included and has a lovely view however they could improve some of their cocktails as they were a bit hit and miss! The creperie was open until late and offered a lovely range of ice creams, waffles, crepes and cakes. The location is quite secluded which was fine for us as we were after a quiet relaxing holiday. I would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Becca_e44
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It does make me wonder what expectations people have when I read some of the reviews! This hotel is fantastically priced for the quality that you get!
We requested a sea room and were given a beautiful large room right at the front. Everything is the hotel is spotless and staff are always cleaning!
Even if you didn't use the a la carte restaurants the buffet had so much choice - you were guaranteed to have choices that you liked. Food was prepared and presented excellently and the staff in the restaurant were always so polite.
We tended to eat in the a la carte most nights - it was quieter and more relaxed. Just loved the Asian and Italian and special mention has to go to Georgia, maitre de - so kind, friendly and helpful.

Ok, so some of the bars might not serve every single drink - get off your backside and walk to the next one, it won't be far!

I stayed at Blue Domes last year and loved that one but Laguna is different - the staff make it! We didn't meet one member of staff who wasn't happy and willing to help.

We had a fab time in a stunning location with attentive staff and gorgeous weather - what more can you ask for?!!

8  Thank Justlmw
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Where to begin with this hotel... it is just absolute luxury in every way possible. Rooms are lovely, clean, spacious and very Greek decor. Restaurants, main buffet and all A La Carte are amazing! Never get bored of the food variety, able to sit outside in the main buffet restaurant with table service which makes it pleasant. Good variety of drinks and bars including cocktail and champagne bar which are fab. Staff are fantastic, attentive and friendly cant complain except one rude receptionist who continued to answer the phone during mid conversation with guests - this I found extremely rude and arrogant, otherwise can not complain about staff. On one occasion when we went to change our towels for the next day for our day trip to Santorini (this I recommend to do) the staff in charge of the towel laundering service had ran out of clean towels and told us to come back the next day, when we told him we were leaving at 8am so this was not possible he promised to leave 3 fresh towels at 7.30am at reception - this he kept his promise and the towels were waiting for us - completely went out his way to do this before his shift started - exceptional. Towels require a 20euro deposit which you get on check out. If doing any day trips ask for a lunch box as its full of sandwhiches, fruit, cake, water and cartons of juice! Really cant complain at all - only downside was the beach very stony which hurts your feet and water is murky so not really good for swimming but the pools are salt water pools which is a benefit! Started to get really busy as we were leaving so would not like to stay during height of season as it started to become difficult to get loungers, seats at the restaurant and even at the bars at night. Apart from all this, a 5 star hotel, it is beautiful and exactly like the photos on the website - would def come back for a chilled week in the sun :)

Room Tip: Dont pay for a sea view room, email the hotel and simply ask for it - we did and got it granted!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Iona1989
Reviewed 25 June 2014

First visit to Crete
This hotel made our holiday soo special
Friendly courteous Greek hospitality from the Manager down to the room cleaner
Best AI we have ever been to
Yummy food aww those crepes and ice creams from the pool bar!
Check out the spa and therapies if you can get up from the very comfortable sun beds
Shingle beach with turquoise blue sea
Plenty of evening entertainment
We went low key listening to the serenades on the terrace
Enjoyed good company from other guests - never made it to the champagne bar!
Spacious clean room very comfortable beds and I am fussy with regards to sleeping facilities - no complaints
Minibar in room replenished daily at no extra charge
All in all a great place to chill mull and recharge your batteries
Shower and toilet facilities by the pool could do with an upgrade
Pretty gardens well maintained making the 5 mins walk to the beach all the more enjoyable

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank writerWales
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in June 2014 and had an amazing time. The food was delicious especially the Cretan restaurant, the pool and sunbeds are attractive and comfortable. We got plenty of use out of the creperie, pool bar and icecream stand and the staff were friendly, helpful and professional.The drinks and cocktails are good but the champagne bar served the best drinks. We had the perfect holiday at Mitsis Laguna and would definitely go again!

6  Thank R K
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Mitsis Laguna from 10th-20th June and felt slightly sad we didn't book for longer! Got major holiday blues leaving here.

ROOMS

We had paid for a sea view room and like most expected to open our balcony door to the sea in front of us, this was not the case. We arrived on a night flight but could see straight away that on one side was construction work and the other side was the main hotel area, it was only if you craned your neck over the balcony and looked to the left could you see the sea. (Room 923 Block Rose). We went straight down to reception to complain and on our travels noticed at least 3 others complaining about the same thing, receptionist was really rude with me and cut me off whilst I was trying to explain our room, his reply was 'we don't have any more sea rooms to move you to'. I know the other people who complained had nothing resolved either as we kept them as neighbours for the remainder of the holidays. This is something I have wrote to Thomas Cook about HOWEVER in spite of this blip the rooms are lovely and spacious. Beware that the maids don't really do a great clean of the room, normally just made beds, changed towels and toilet paper and refilled mini fridge (2 x Pepsi, 2 x Water, 2 x 7 up, 2 x watermelon drink, 2 x fanta lemon drink and 2 x beer), this wasn't a major issue for us but we picked up at the end of our trip the bathroom was looking in need of a good bleach!!

FOOD/RESTAURANTS

Food was lovely here in the main restaurant and in the other restaurants (Asian, Italian, Mexican, Cretan and Sushi). We tried all bar Sushi and Cretan. Favourite was definitely the Asian! Absolutely lovely however everything was quite salty so if you are a salt lover I would try the food first before you go sprinkling it all over. You have to book in advance at Reception which was very straight forward didn't have to wait long. You can book in for dinner time or tea time depending on what you fancy (you don't have to book for dinner in Sushi you can just turn up). When at the individual restaurants you get a welcome meal, starter, main and desert. You can order AS MUCH as you want, we would normally order 3 mains to try between two of us. Main restaurant was lovely too however if it wasn't for the separate restaurants I could see myself getting bored but this happens with most all inclusive if you are staying longer for 7 days. I also noticed the water served with meals had a salty after taste, I asked if it was tap or bottle and they said bottle on one occasion then tap another so I steered clear of this to save myself an upset tummy. As most have already mentioned there is a pancake and waffle bar which sell sweet and savoury pancakes! They didn't give us a menu when we went so make sure you ask to benefit from everything there. Also sell cakes which are lovely too.

ALCOHOL

Champagne bar on top floor of hotel which is lovely, we would always time our visit here so we could drink a Bellini and watch the sun set over the sea. Staff were great always making us sit and bringing drinks out to us, all of the cocktails were lovely except one which had a lot of vodka in! On the middle floor is another bar and where the entertainment normally was. Cocktails were quite strong but took a liking to 'Cherry Fizz'. Didn't ask for any spirits but my partner did ask for a Disarrono and he said it tasted like fairy up liquid (slight exaggeration I expect). We mainly stuck to beer and wine which was very nice! I don't normally enjoy wine abroad but the Rose was fab and we would always drink a bit more than we probably should have with dinner ha!

POOL & SUNBEDS

Pool was salt water and very cold in the morning, heated up towards the end of the day. Wasn't a 'deep end' which I liked, you could walk from one end to the other. We always sunbathed in the main pool, however I know people we met said there were other pools in the hotel we never tried them. Sunbeds were really comfy and at the start of our holiday we would always find two in a nice spot, towards the end of June however it got a lot busier and I noticed many people would have put their towels down and gone back to bed. Sometimes beds were occupied with towels for hours and nobody ever came back to them, think this is a problem in every single hotel you go to though.

BEACH

Just over the road from the hotel it is a stone beach so painful to walk on without flip flops!! But it is a change to the pool and was never really packed where we sat so we always felt we had the beach to ourselves. Pedlo boats are free with the hotel so we had a go on one of those which was fun. We noticed there was also jet ski's, parasailing etc should you wish to try that, I didn't check prices. There were sunbeds on the beach but we always chose to sit away from everyone on our towels :)

HOTEL AMENITIES

Wi-Fi is chargeable and is 9 euro for one day. You can buy longer day packages but not sure how much. We only ever bought one day. The sitting area outside the main restaurant is where you can get free Wi-Fi, you will notice everyone congregates in this area with all sorts of gadgets! There is a jewellery shop, bag shop, fur coat shop (bizarre) and a mini supermarket on the same floor. Supermarket was great we bought litres of water from here and was all cheap enough. There is a 24 hour doctor on call as well which I discovered when I fell ill with sun stroke, he was lovely and spoke to me over the phone at 2am in the morning. I expect if your case was severe enough he would come to the hotel. (Doctors office is next to supermarket).

ENTERTAINMENT

We know from speaking to other people the children's entertainment went on until quite late and there was some sort of theatre where they did shows. We were lucky enough to meet a great bunch of people so most nights we all sat and drank together and made our own entertainment. On the middle floor bar there was sometimes a pianist, and one night there were opera singers. Quite rubbish really but we always enjoyed our nights due to the people we met.

HERSONISSOS TOWN

We went here for a nose and it was a nice day. 7 euro there in a taxi which you can order from reception. Has lovely restaurants all along the sea front. Nice bars too. Here you can book excursions which I would advise as the Thomas Cook reps were useless and they charge you slightly more for the same trips. There is also an ATM machine just a short walk from the Mcdonalds. You can also access two other beaches in town should you wish for a change of scenery.

STAFF

Most were lovely but there were the odd staff member who were really miserable and rude. Not sure if I was being paranoid but I noticed they were very friendly with other people but as soon as they noticed we were British they changed their attitude slightly. This didn't affect my holiday as I suppose I would be miserable too working whilst everyone on their hols!

All in all I would say this is definitely a 5 star hotel. Yes there were small things I would change if it were up to me but everyone's taste is different. I would definitely go back here. Loved it :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank SadeH83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anissaras
Creta Maris Beach Resort
Serita Beach Hotel
Serita Beach Hotel
#4 of 7 in Anissaras
Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!