Stayed here for 7 nights with my family including 2 young children. We were put in this hotel after booking the Rinella Hotel but due to no room we were put here. The way this was handled was terrible as we were taken to the Rinella at 1am with 2 tired babies, went through the check in process to then be told they would arrange a taxi to the new hotel for 1 night. Luckily we managed to get them to let us stay at Laguna as Rinella was shocking and I will review this separately.
First up this is not a 5 star hotel. It is perhaps just a 4 star hotel if not a 3+. The building itself is beautiful and this is perhaps 5 star standard but the hotel on a whole is not. People who review this as a 5 star hotel have quite clearly never been to a true 5 star hotel.
The food standard was good and plenty of choice in the main restaurant. The a la carte restaurants are fantastic and of excellent quality however it is very hard to get reservations in here. You need to book before 8am up to 3 days before you want to dine.
Rooms are clean and pleasantly decorated. Not 5 star standard though.
Serving Staff - Nearly all the staff at this hotel are fantastic particularly the restaurant and bar staff. All friendly and very helpful. Whatever they are paid isn't enough. Can't say the same about the reception staff (negatives below).
Food - Good quality and choice especially a la carte restaurants which are let down by near impossibility to reserve. The Crepe bar and ice cream bar are both fantastic. Never busy and lovely treats.
Reception Staff - They are much more curt and not as helpful as all of the other staff in the hotel. I have never been in another 5 star hotel where a receptionist dealing with you breaks off midway to answer the phone. They all seemed to do this and this is shameful. Also 1 receptionist really messed up our transfer back to airport and we were lucky to make check in.
Pool / Beach - Nowhere near enough sunbeds on any of the pools or beach. Also the pool areas are too crowded, no room to chill out. Beach is small with small stones as opposed to sand.
Drinks - Limited supply outside of main bars. In the restaurant as they were so busy you could only expect 1 drink per sitting. The "Champagne" in the Champagne bar is more like Asti but the setting is nice.
Entertainment - Whilst the evening shows are what they are and are ok there is not enough entertainment at the hotel or choice of activities. It can be very boring.
Russians - The place is full of them which would not be a problem if they weren't so rude. Queue pushing, glaring at you and generally thinking they own the place. They let their children run riot in the pool. I did not see any good manners from 1 of them whilst I was there and the place is probably 70% occupied by them. Not impressed and would never go to a hotel with so many Russians again.
Check Out - Had booked a late check out at the Rinella as we had 2 babies. This was not adhered to at the Laguna and it took me along time and alot of persuading before they would give us an extra 6 hours in the room albeit at a charge of 45 euros.
Wi-fi - Most 5 star hotels provide their guests with free wi-fi but here it is charged for at around £40 per week. The speed and reliability is to be fair good.
So in all a mixed review. Not a totally unpleasant time at all but some improvement needed to get it "up there". Taking everything into consideration I would only recommend this if you aren't expecting a true 5 star experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LAGUNA RESORT & SPA lies on the beach of Anissaras in the area of Hersonissos in Crete. It is a majestic and luxurious 5-star hotel with a state of the art Wellness Spa that provides premium service. Guest accommodation includes 351 luxurious rooms, consisting of 180 bungalows (34 of which shape a small island, surrounded by a lake and the rest are family bungalows), 90 beautiful sea view and garden view rooms, 79 superior rooms in the main building, and 2 presidential suites with a private pool for each. A number of infrastructures and facilities such as meeting rooms, tennis courts, beach volley, mini soccer court, gym, 3 seawater swimming pools, a kid’s pool, water slides etc. make the hotel an entertainment paradise for guests of all ages. The hotel places great importance on high quality gastronomy, as guests can try various gastronomic selections in the resort’s 7 restaurants and 4 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Alpha Holidays Limited, Bookgreece.com, Odigeo, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mitsis Laguna Hotel Anissaras
- Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa Crete/Anissaras