Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas
Faedra Beach Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$111
US$164
Hotels.com
Miramare Resort & Spa(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$134
Hermes Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)
US$119
US$115
  • Pool
Mirabello Beach & Village Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$163
  • Pool
Lato Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$55
US$634
US$610
US$439
US$328
1,941 results
All reviewspangea restaurantocean restaurantcrystal boxprivate poolocean clubscott dunngolf buggieshalf boardkids clubbeach staffclub carbed villagreek tavernavilla guestsguest relationsbeach bardifferent theme
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We would recommend this hotel to other travellers .. although recently opened it is very professionally run and a joy to stay at. From the onsite shops (very friendly lady at the mini mart - likes to practice her English) to the onsite boutique which has an extensive range.

Room (had own pool) and room service excellent, bar staff friendly and efficient. Not a great selection at the Taverna but you can select fresh fish which looked good. Would advise travellers to book bed and breakfast rather than ½ board as the buffet in the evenings is a little overpriced compared with the excellent restaurants in nearby (10 mins cab) Agios Nicolas and Plaka

Great pool and beach, very good for snorkelling, plenty of sun loungers at both.

The only criticism we had during our stay was the time it takes to get a coffee/tea at breakfast – there is a rather strange practice of a meet and greeter sitting you down before a waitress comes over with no other purpose other than to take your room number at busy times you can wait for 10 mins .. there should be a better system for this, this is a small issue however compared with the excellent service in all other aspects of this hotel.

1  Thank eandtbalfe
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Where to start..... Well I have been all over from and Manhattan to the Maldives and I think this hotel sits somewhere in the middle, not too busy, but you can get more secluded places.

The Hotel itself has everything you’d expect from a 5* “resort”, but it doesn’t feel over crowed or busy and apparently the hotel is full at the moment.

The accommodation is fabulous; everything you would need and want... we went for a 1 bedroom suite with private pool. I think from looking around at the other rooms, we have chosen wisely. It’s a huge room, with dining area and separate living quarters. It’s probably worth paying the extra to at least this room, not only do you get the “red Level” service (free drinks and snacks in the evening) put the private pool is great and you get a huge terrace to sunbath on. Because of how the rooms have been designed, if you get anything below the 1 bed suite you will probably only get the sun from about 10am – 2pm (certainly for the villas along the sea front). So it’s worth paying that little bit extra.

The hotel has 3 bars and 3 restaurants and its all reasonably priced. A beer will set you back €5-7 a cocktail €12, but the champagne isn’t cheap, €100 Moet! The food is great, we didn’t have a bad meal, generally you will pay around €10 for a salad, €10-19 for pasta and €25-70 for fish/meat...but it’s all good stuff!

All in all a great place to come... the beach is private, clean and well managed by staff serving drinks and cold towels, the pool and bars means there always something to do (We hired a car to see some of the island sights, but we haven’t had chance yet to as there’s so much to keep you busy here). The Spa is fab, but that can get a little pricey....and also the water sports... but its good fun!

If you’re looking for a getaway that gives you exceptional high standards, friendly and helpful staff, great accommodation/surroundings, great food and drink....then come to Gran Melia Crete! It’s almost faultless!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrJDouglas
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We arrived here ten days ago and I'm typing this as I sit on the balcony. Sad I know, but I felt compelled to let my fellow TripAdvisors know how fabulous this place is. We booked a Deluxe Ocean View with pool and it was well worth it. The views, the luxurious decor, the fabulous food and the attentive staff have made this one of our best holidays ever!

I won't bore you with anymore hyperbole, instead I thought I'd give you a list of our pros and cons:

Pros:
- Fantastic location (if you've got a car and you're not keen on the naff resorts). It's quiet, beautiful and very private. Ask for a room on 8th street if you want breathtaking views of Mirabello Bay.
- Brilliant breakfast. We LOVED it. So much choice. Such good quality.
- Amazing rooms. Tasteful, large and spotless.
- Wonderful amenities. The pool, beach, bars and restaurants are superb.
- Stunning spa & gym. I've used the facilities everyday. The spa is probably the finest I've ever experienced.
- Design with the wow factor. So many hotels get it so wrong but this place is an architectural gem. Blending into the landscape effortlessly. And it's tres stylish to boot!

Cons:
- Expensive. When I'm staying at a 5* hotel I'm happy to pay five star prices. But some of of the charges were just silly. £70 for a fresh fish dish. The average bottle of plonk around £35. And £50 for 15 mins on the Jet Ski on the beach. We also paid around £100 a night for a two course meal for two in the various hotel restaurants.
- Slightly anonymous. This isn't a problem per se. But there was a certain lack of personal service. Saying that, most of the staff we met were adorable.
- The funiculars that take guests up and down the various levels of the hotel are SLOW. No biggie, but quite dull.
- The private pool was lovely, but not that private unfortunately. As you're overlooked quite a bit. Again, not a big deal but if you're honeymooning like we were it might be best to book a junior suite with a separate deck and pool.

Hints & Tips:

- Drink the local wine in the Greek Taverna. It's a third of the price of a normal bottle of wine and just as good.
- If you're having a massage at the spa ask for Bouriana. She's a trained physiotherapist. The others are just beauticians.
- If you want a day trip, visit the village of Kritsa (20 mins away). Much more interesting than Agios or Elounda.
- Drive to Plaka to get the boat to Spinalonga, or else you'll be stuck on a very long, hot and crowded boat trip from Agios.
- Unless you're super keen to see it, I'd give Knossos a miss. It's lovely and no doubt of huge historical importance but it's also small, crowded and oddly uninspiring. Better to save your cash and put it towards a future trip to Pompeii!

Have a great time if you go. We certainly did.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robertsdesk
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Lovely hotel - it is remote but if you do you research you will see that quite plainly. It costs 1.5 Euros to get to the local town (15 minute journey and 15 minute walk to get to the centre) Alternatively it costs 12 Euros by taxi, good for stocking up on drinks if you don't want to pay the expensive costs - 12 euros for a Strawberry Daiquari.

With reference to the wind, we were there at the same time and for the first few days it was really windy, although this did not keep us awake at night and with the doors shut we could not here it. It did mean we were not able to have the sun umbrellas up, but the breeze did keep you nice and cool when it was very hot. However, after a few days the wind did pass and it was nice and still again, so it is not a feature of this area, but just a weather issue.
Points I think the hotel could have picked up on to make this excellent:
. No welcome drink and no bottle of sparkling wine/champagne in room even though we had mentioned it was our anniversary and we had just got engaged, additionally there was no fruit in the room which I would expect for a 5 star hotel.
. No information in room regarding the media system, we went out and bought an IPOD charger as did not realise there is one that drops down from the front of the Phillips alarm clock until the last day.
. No DVD player in room, albeit you can subscribe to films (12 euros each)
. Had to constantly ask for additional milk for coffee in rooms as this was not replenished.
There isn't a coffee machine in the room which I had read in one of the room specs, it is a tiny one/two cup glass 'Bodum' maker.
. The pool is supposed to have an adult only section but this is not upheld by the staff who seem to thinks the signs are to keep the children out of the garden. If it is going to say it has an adult only area, this needs to be policed in someway otherwise it is a waste of time.
. Would be nice to divide Pangea restaurant to have a section that is adults only as romantic meals were somewhat spoilt by the sound of babies crying etc.
. Telephone in room had not been programmed so it was trial and error trying to call reception.
Overall staff were very helpful apart from the odd one or two in Pangea who were quite sullen and immensely slow in bringing coffee in the morning.
The beach is nice, but is very much shale and very painful on the feet to walk over the pebbles into the sea, so spent much of the time by the pool.
Rooms with pools looked lovely, but did not appear to have sunbeds, as a consequence saw some of the guests using the settee cushions to sunbathe on.
Location of the resort is fabulous and interior is beautiful and so are the rooms, which are also very large. All the rooms appear to have spectacular views of the bay. Please do not let my comments put you off, they are just there to allow you to make an informed choice, and I am sure with time the hotel will ensure these little 'hitches' are ironed out.
The gym is exceptionally well equipped, one of the largest and best we have experienced on holiday, well suited to the serious fitness fanatic (as my partner is) a shame the hotel charges for the use of the hammam, water jet pool, sauna etc. would have expected that to be included in the price.
Food was good and an excellent choice, we only ate in Pangea as we had booked half board so cannot comment on other restuarants. Did read a review where fruit kebabs were distributed by the pool in the afternoon, but did not experience this - would have been most welcome.
Would definately go back, albeit lots of other places we still want to visit.

2  Thank Happycouple1
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I travelled here while spending some time in Istanbul. I live in New York City, and travel quite a bit for work and for fun, so I'd like to say that I've definitely travelled all over the world and enjoy discovering some of the best hotels and resorts the planet has to offer. This one is good. It probably will be great...just not yet. It's brand new. So the wrinkles are still coming out. First off, it is FAR from the airport. Be prepared to spend 90Euro each way. And for that matter, be prepared to be mostly based here. Not a bad thing if R&R is what you're looking for. The pool is great. Though there's no line (in reality) between where the kids and adults can go. The beach is small, but it's good enough. The WINDS HERE ARE TERRIBLE. I cannot say that is the case throughout the Med this time of year, but expect constant, howling winds. you'll hear them in your room, at dinner, in the bathroom and while sleeping. I'm here right now and hear them. I think it's just a part of life. The service is good. Sure, not everyone says hello. Frankly maybe 50% speak English. I don't think I'm an ugly American for expecting that 100% speak at least decent English and greet us with a hello. The restaurants are ample. Room service selection is v. small but honestly the food is pretty darn good. The prices are reasonable, even with the weak dollar, and I don't feel ripped on the drinks. One strange thing is that this hotel as no electric adaptors. I know, my fault that I didn't bring, but you'd expect a hotel of this calibre to have them. Also it took 2 days of calling to determine that. All in all, this is a good value, good rooms (could be nicer...but get one with a private pool...it's worth it!), good looking place and good staff. It'll get better I'm sure considering the level they want to be at. It's not Four Seasons, Shangri, JW, Aman, Banyan, One&Only, but it could be.