We stayed at St Nicolas Bay resort early October 2011. We rented a car and drove from Heraklion. Fairly easy to find providing you dont venture into the one way systems of Agios Nicolaos.
The porter that greats you is excellent. Smiling and ever helpful. Check-in was straightforward and we were quickly put in our rooms. We travelled as 4 adults and a 6 month old.
The rooms are nice. They look out over the sea towards the other side of crete. Very nice. We had buildings in front but the design of the resort is excellent. You never seem to be in another persons view so it feels very private.
Most days started with buffet breakfast and a menu choice of hots. The family struggled a little bit with getting exactly what they wanted. For example, the food was often warm rather than hot. The bacon not cooked enough or similar small problem. We thought it would have been better to let the guests go to the cook where you could instruct to your liking and know the food was hot.... a suggestion.
Days can be spent on site at the pool reading your books overlooking and swimming in the sea. The private beach is about 20 paces long so dont expect romantic walks.
One thing we didnt like was the water sports. The cost was extortionate. We only saw one family use a kayak towards the end of their stay. Shame because they had lots on offer, just silly prices.
Lunch we took outside at a taverna. There are many to choose from and are very reasonable.
Dinner was excellent. A buffet with everything, then again, a choice of hot meal.
My wife struggled a bit with the baby food that was made but by the end of the stay it was working well.
The staff are all very good. The dinnner and breakfast crew were very friendly and really did try their best. Our only complaint would have been about one particular waitress. She was very grumpy and unhelpful. Managing to spill our wine one evening and all we got out of her was "bravo" before she walked off. We did complain. Just make sure you dont sit in her tables!
They gym is adequate for a quick workout but dont expect a full routine.
The spa looked inviting but we didnt use any treatments. Again, the prices were heavy.
Finally, the other guests.
Unfortunately, 50% were quite unfriendly - I think they were german. They do not say hello as you walk past them. Maybe it was me.....
The ones that did want to converse were very nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spacious Balcony or Terrace in each Room or Suite provides a private and secluded open air lounge to sit and relax with great sea views.- From the secluded privacy of your room balcony / terrace only 2 minutes walk through flower scented gardens to reach the private sandy beach and sunbathing terraces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Holiday Gems, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Bookgreece.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saint Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel And Villas
- Saint Nicolas Bay Hotel
- St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas Crete/Agios Nikolaos