We stayed here for a week in october. I loved everything about this hotel. Its quite small but spread out really nicely with pretty pathways all over full of bouganvillea and olive trees, stunning. The grounds are well maintained but not overly manicured which added to the charm and character of the place.
The room we had (219) was a nice size with a lovely sea view. Loved the contemporary decor. Very clean. Only criticism would be the shower curtain, would have preferred a glass screen.
We were bed & breakfast which was lovely, outside in the morning sun, very peaceful. In fact the whole place was so quiet and serene. We only ate in the hotel at lunch times, (approx 40 euros for 2x lunches 2x beers 1x water) so cant comment on the evening restaurants. The food we had was nice no complaints. We went to the Minotaur restaurant for the weekly champagne party with the management and it looks stunning in the evening! Absolutely beautiful (see picture). The drinks were expensive but we expected this, 10 euros for a gin & tonic!
The location was just right in terms of distance from town. We ate in many of the popular restaurants rated on trip advisor, some less then 5 mins walk from the hotel. Had some really great meals in Avra, Piato, Embassy, Pegalos, Knossos, Kri Kri. Got totally hooked on meze! Delicious. We weren't that impressed with Avli contrary to reviews on here. The local house wine in all the restaurants was fantastic, and at roughly 3.50 euros for half litre, it was great value too. Definitely recommend that. The restaurants next to the lake are more pricey but you cannot beat having a drink there at sunset before dinner in the evening before moving on to eat. It really is so beautiful, you can not tire of it. We loved the town, its buzzing with atmosphere. You get great views of the lake if you walk up the steep road at the side near Zygos. Stunning.
The weather was also perfect and was nudging 30 every day. The sea was warm and crystal clear.
We went to Elounda by taxi early one morning, (10mins) and got the boat (lots of them running every 30mins) to Spinalonga which used to be a Leper Colony amongst other things over the years. The boat is 10euros and you can return whenever you like. There is a small fee of 2euros to walk round it when you get there, payable at the ticket office. It was really interesting and spooky and once again great views. Would recommend. The tour operators offer excursions lasting 4 hours or so with guided walks etc.. But to be honest we did it ourselves and found it to be more enjoyable. It only takes an hour to get round the whole thing then we were back on the next boat to have lunch by the water at the Ferryman Taverna, amazing views again. We were thinking of staying in Elounda before we booked but Im glad we picked Agios Nikoloas now. Elounda was lovely but there is more going on in Agios Nikoloas which suited us, also a lot more choice in bars/restaurants.
We really did have such a great time here, and would highly recommend both the hotel and the town. We loved the balance it gave us having the luxury of the hotel alongside the great value restaurants and buzzing town in the evenings. If you stayed in at the hotel the whole time I'm pretty certain it will cost you an arm and leg, but not only that it would be a shame to miss out on all the town has to offer.
Fantastic place and we hope to return one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spacious Balcony or Terrace in each Room or Suite provides a private and secluded open air lounge to sit and relax with great sea views.- From the secluded privacy of your room balcony / terrace only 2 minutes walk through flower scented gardens to reach the private sandy beach and sunbathing terraces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saint Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel And Villas
- Saint Nicolas Bay Hotel
- St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas Crete/Agios Nikolaos