We spend two weeks here on HB and had a great time. It’s fair to say to say that the hotel is not 5 star in the way that, say, The Ritz is, though it’s still very well presented and comfortable.
Whilst we didn’t have a sea view, we had two connecting rooms which were decent sized and well, but simply, furnished in much the same way that most holiday destination hotels are. Plenty of hanging room and storage for clothes as well.
The pool area is very good with three separate pools, one for toddlers, one for intermediates and then the main pool with super views over the sea. Another plus is the beach which is forms part of a small man made harbour. Not too deep, clean and plenty of fish to look at.
There is a watersports service on the beach which has a jet ski, boats, canoes and other stuff for hire. A bit pricey maybe, but great fun and helpful staff.
Breakfast is good with a decent selection at the buffet and then a made to order service for some items. It can be a bit chaotic at times, but on the whole the staff are very helpful.
Lunch is also good, though can get a bit expensive. Service is fine and the view is great.
Dinner is a buffet again or, they have a made to order service for some things. On the whole the food is very good and a varied selection each night apart from some of the staples, e.g. salad etc. Wine is expensive and if you want to anything other than a Greek wine, expect to pay €50 plus.
The bar on the beach has to be a favourite. Drinks are pricy, but you get great cocktails, super service and fantastic views over the sea. Children can also catch a few fish here on a night as well – the staff will even provide a bucket to hold them in.
There’s a movie each evening at 10pm also, generally decent films in English just by the bar.
For the children there’s a kid’s club which in truth is probably best suited to children between 4 and 7. I’d have to say that its not very proactive in that you have to seek it out rather than them promoting it heavily. There’s also a games room with table football and table tennis. Both are free and whilst we were there were hardly used.
Some of the other reviews mention surely staff and I have to say that’s not been our experience at all, everyone we met was polite and helpful, from the management to the waiting staff.
Also, some reviews commented that there was a rush for sunbeds in the morning – this wasn’t our experience either, though I think this may depend on the mix of occupants, i.e. if more people want to be round the pool rather than the beach or terrace area.
All in all, we have a great holiday and would certainly return. If you’re considering this hotel I’d have to say that it would be hard to beat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spacious Balcony or Terrace in each Room or Suite provides a private and secluded open air lounge to sit and relax with great sea views.- From the secluded privacy of your room balcony / terrace only 2 minutes walk through flower scented gardens to reach the private sandy beach and sunbathing terraces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Bookgreece.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saint Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel And Villas
- Saint Nicolas Bay Hotel
- St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas Crete/Agios Nikolaos