Coral Hotel
Naiades Almiros River Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$64
Faedra Beach Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$62
Elpida Village(Istron)(Great Value!)
US$46
US$34
  • Pool
Mirabella Apartments(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$307
US$262
Du Lac hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$67
  • Bar/Lounge
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas(Agios Nikolaos)
US$481
US$394
Minos Beach Art hotel(Agios Nikolaos)
US$246
US$240
US$129
US$108
  • Pool
Lato Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$46
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdownstairs barsister hotel next doorsea viewrecommend this hotelair consaladpool areasandwichesplenty of choiceadequate sizemissed dinnerbeach towelsgreek economythree starfantastic locationrestaurant managertea making facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week in August 2013 and had the all inclusive package. We had pre-booked a room with a sea view based on previous reviews and were very happy with the choice. Room on the 7th floor was decent size, very small balcony though (rooms at the end of the building had smaller balconies than those in the middle), it hardly fit two chairs. The room was very clean and the towels and bed sheets were changed daily. The interior of the room was worn out though, with stains on the carpet and furniture. The walls seemed to be paper thin as we could hear everything from the room next door and from the disco at the hotel next to ours. Luckily we were staying up late anyways so didn't have too much trouble with the noise.

The food at the hotel was good but nothing special. Mostly more international food and very few Greek dishes, which I was a bit disappointed about. The choice of food was more or less the same every day and for a week it was okay, but wouldn't want to eat it for two weeks. We ended up going to local restaurants just to get some variety.

The location of the hotel is excellent, very close to center of the city and all restaurants and bars. The pool area of the hotel was nice and had a great view. There's also a small public beach in front of the hotel and many others within walking distance.

Overall we had a good stay, felt like the hotel was good value for your money, but would probably pay a little extra next time to stay at a more upscale place.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view in the higher floors is worth it.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I came to this hotel with my wife this summer in august 2013
We wait about 1.5 -2 to get our room and then we sew that we got a room far away from -yes -second elevator and after about 55-60 meters walking in the hall.
The room was OK and the room service was good.
The room was with a view to some construction building-not highly recommended!!
In the reception was no hello attitude -till i sad hello to concierge -all 10 nights-not quiet polite!
The food was OK except breakfast -very poore.
The other things are ok ?but i not really recommending on this hotel-service very poor!

Room Tip: You must order a sea room ahead before the trip/
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two weeks in August 2013 with two teenagers. First of all I would like to say that Monarch/Cosmos, with whom we booked, did not mention the suitability of the hotel for that age, and I can confirm that I would not recommend this hotel for anyone under the age of 40, as the majority of the clientele are at least that age (including me!). Location is the hotel's greatest asset; only a five minute walk from the lovely town, with its abundant restaurants, bars and shops, with no tacky English/foreign bars and enough variety to please all ages, including trendy disco type bars that seemed to be packed with under 30s most nights. The hotel has a small shingle beach in front of it, which you get to by descending some steep steps. The sea is lovely and clean here but you do have to pay 2.00 Euros for each sunbed and another 2.50 for a parasol, which is essential in August. As a private beach, I thought this was a bit mean.

I had been pre-warned to book a room on the 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th room for a view of the sea, which I did. This cost me more on top of the basic holiday, but it was well worth it. The views from there are the best aspects of the hotel. On the 1st ad 2nd floors other travellers reported traffic noise, and some rooms had views of unfinished buildings or faced other peoples' rooms. The room was dated, and the carpets a bit stained in places, but the bathroom was very clean and I was impressed that the cleaners changed our towels every day and provided complementary soap and shower gel every day. Sheets appeared to be changed at least once every three days. I couldn't fault the cleanliness of the hotel toilets or rooms themselves. The cleaners obviously work very hard.

The food was OK, but nothing fancy, and by the end of the holiday I was sick of seeing melon, grapes and peaches as the only fresh fruit alternative to some children's party type desserts. There was not an authentic Greek dessert in sight, apart from the yoghurt. Jelly and what resembled blancmange or cake with mock cream were served regularly; other nationalities appeared to like it, but I would have liked to have seen some Baklava or a greater variety of fresh fruit. I would also have liked to have seen some fresh fish, but had to go to the local tavernas to even have calamares or whitebait. The only fish that regularly appeared was some tasteless, and I suspect frozen, baked perch or similar. Don't get me wrong, the food was edible, just not very exciting. My beer drinking husband and son suspected the beer had been watered down a bit too.

The pool area was very pleasant and well maintained. It was nice to have a salt water rather than a chlorine pool - easier on the eyes. Also the view from the terrace could be enjoyed by those who were not fortunate enough to have a seaview room.. The bar opened at 10.00am and closed at 5.30, with cold drinks, coffee and tea, local brand alcohol, beer and wine served, with "coffee and cakes" for an hour in the afternoon. Ice cream was also available during this time. Most days there were enough sun loungers, except towards the end of the holiday, where several people (not Brits!) decided to ignore the "no reserving" rule and hogged several sunbeds as soon as the terrace was open, but didn't actually use them until a couple of hours later. Most annoying..

There was no real entertainment to speak of; a sad disco once a week with a local middle-aged DJ playing the hits of years gone by (to which nobody, except one French lady, danced), a trio of British dancers one night, and a Cretan night (four locals performing typical Greek and Cretan dances for an hour). The best night was when a young British couple got everyone to skip in the middle of the dance floor; if it hadn't have been for them the place would have been dead. Most nights we went out for drinks elsewhere, despite having paid all-inclusive. In any case, you could only drink local brands, which weren't up to much, although Metaxa 3 Star was OK with coke. I felt sorry for Marianna who worked behind the bar. She was always smiling and cheerful. Some of the other staff in the hotel were not particularly helpful or friendly, particularly the sour-faced middle-aged woman at reception and the scary guy in charge of the restaurant who fingered the croissants with his bare hands.......

I would recommend this hotel for middle aged couples and above, who don't mind not eating local food, want to relax by the pool and do not much else apart from admire the view. I would not recommend it for anyone wanting to try Greek food or be entertained.

Room Tip: Pay the supplement for a sea view room from the 4th floor upwards. Be aware this hotel may not be suitable for the disabled because of the steps to the beach and the need to use steps to get to the restaurant and pool area.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank missnorth
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here for a week and overall it was a reasonably nice and comfortable hotel with fairly good food. The bed was comfy - although we were a little disappointed that having booked a double room it was just two single beds pushed together, and not even made up with double sheets. The room was clean and the view from our balcony was lovely.

However we were not at all happy to find that the cleaner had been smoking in our room! We also found that the hotel manager was very rude - when we politely spoke to him at dinner one night as the pork was undercooked he insisted quite rudely it was not, and gave us filthy looks for the rest of the week.

I would visit Agios Nikolaos again, but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely request a sea view room as a lot of the non-sea view rooms had views of a construction site!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for one week all-inclusive at the Coral Hotel and we never wanted to leave. We paid extra for the sea-view which was worth every penny and more. I couldn't wait to open the curtains every morning!

Transfer from Heraklion took two hours as there were so many drop offs along the way. We missed dinner by a long way so they had left two salads and some water in the fridge for us which was very nice.

Room was great - we had air con, a safe, a TV, a kettle and teabags / coffee / hot chocolate (plus powdered milk - good thinking!), dressing table, room phone, and a hairdryer in the bathroom. The maids cleaned it every day and brought fresh towels and bedding. We were also provided with a beach towel each.

Pool area was nice too. It's a rooftop pool so I often felt a bit like I was on a cruise! Great views out over the bay, free drinks and ice cream for all inclusive guests whilst snacks were half price. Never had any trouble getting a sun lounger, and there was direct sun there from first thing in the morning until about half five. The pool wasn't massive but there were only ever a couple of people in it anyway, just having a dip to cool down. It would be a waste to have a bigger pool really as the sea is right outside the front of the hotel.

The pebble beach across the road from the hotel is just great. It doesn't look a deal from the road but we gave it a go and ended up spending most of the days there. The pebbles are plenty comfy enough to lie on (although you can hire sun loungers for 2.50 and parasols for 2 euros), the sea was lovely to swim in and there were buoys to mark out the safe area, and they also have scuba diving there. If you want sandy beaches there is one a five minute walk to the left, and one ten / fifteen minutes to the right. I would recommend the one on the right, you have to walk through town but the sea there is so calm that it's like being in a huge Swiss lake (just a lot warmer!)

The food was lovely, all buffet style so you can try whatever you want. Breakfast was full English, continental, bread, fruit, cereals, yoghurt, etc. Lunch and dinner had plenty of different dishes - usually spaghetti, lots of nice fish, different meat dishes, rice, potatoes, veg, pizza, etc, and they had some traditional Greek dishes too. More salad than I ever seen in my life - all very fresh. Dessert was a selection of cakes / mousse and there was always ice cream and sauce. At lunch and dinner the waitresses took drink orders at the table. They gave us a packed lunch when we went for a day out - this was a ham and cheese sandwich (they put butter and a tomato in the bag so you could add what you wanted), an apple and a boiled egg.

The bar downstairs was fine for a drink or two in the evening. It wasn't the most amazing decor (the furniture reminded me a bit of a sixth form common area) but the staff were lovely (as they were through the whole hotel) and we enjoyed just having a drink there before / after dinner and then walking into town (five / ten minutes to the right). It's not the sort of place you could sit in all night every night, but that's not what we wanted. They had one or two nights of entertainment in the week we were there but we didn't see it as we were usually walking around the town.

We left late on the last day (9pm pick up) but we had to check out of the room by 12 noon. I was a bit unsure about how that would work but they gave us somewhere to store our luggage and provided a room where we could have a shower and get changed later on so we could still go the beach and freshen up afterwards, they left lots of towels and shower gel for everyone to use. There is only one room though so don't leave it til the last minute because you might have to wait for other people to finish! As we were so late leaving they let us have an extra evening meal free of charge which made life a lot easier too (our board was meant to be Tuesday evening til the following Tuesday lunch).

I really can't emphasise enough what a lovely hotel this is. We were just looking for a sunshine getaway to chill out after a busy year, but we somehow stumbled upon this little gem. Perfect location, great service and it didn't break the bank!

Room Tip: Without a doubt, pay the extra for a sea view!
2  Thank Jess G