“Lovely hotel, Lovely staff, Lovely resort”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #6 of 94 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, Lovely staff, Lovely resort”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here 12th-19th August.

We arrived late during the night and some food had been put aside for us in the fridge un the room which was rather welcoming. The rooms are a little dated which I found disappointing as the hotels website states they have recently fulfilled a modernisation. The furniture and decor needs changing. That said they were kept clean throughout the week with a daily service.

The views from the hotel are lovely.

The food was excellent with plenty of choice changing each evening depending on the theme which was displayed outside the restaurant. The all inclusive drink choice was also very good.

The pool and beach facilities were also excellent and maintained to a high standard. The passage from the hotel to the beach could do with a deep clean and paint in order to make it more welcoming.

The entertainment team, Katia and Stefano were amazing! Always keeping everyone informed on what that evenings entertainment was and encouraging everyone to get involved with the day time activities. The evening entertainment was also to a high standard which we watched each evening before venturing out into the town centre to enjoy the buzz.

The staff were also fabulous, offering table service each evening - Elena at the main bar was a good laugh!

The only downfall was the large groups of Russian guests who we witnessed being rude and demanding to the lovely Greek staff who simply put up with it.

All in all, a great holiday!

Room Tip: Pay the additional for a sea view as the views are stunning!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joefus88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We (myself and my wife) are Russians who live for quite many years in the Netherlands. We spent our honeymoon trip in Dessole Hermes and had really great time! Before coming we read some reviews here where people complained about behavior of Russians (Russian websites have predominantly very positive reviews, btw), so we were interested to see is it really that bad and whether this is really a problem. However, at least during our stay, everything went very well and everybody, including Russians, behaved absolutely decently. We didn’t really check peoples’ plates to see who was piling their plates up with food too much, etc., but certainly there was enough food for everybody and the food was delicious. Of course, perhaps, there are certain differences in models of behavior, Russians might seems to be rude sometimes, but in my view this is mostly due to the language barrier and straightforwardness which is rooted in Russian culture. And bad manners may occur in different people, whether Russian, British or American, etc. For the food, staff, services and location, in our view, the hotel is very good and close to perfect; I mean in the frameworks that you would expect from a very good 4 stars hotel.

8 Thank Arkadiy K
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I visited from 13th to 20th August. Was apprehensive because of prior reviews about loads of kids- as a teacher, I want to avoid them out of term! However, they were no problem- parents were under good control, kept them both occupied and quiet, and the evening entertainment was great- no kiddy disco, but a range of ages dancing together, and relaxed fun. However, I gather this varies according to date- not sure when Russian families tend to take their holidays.
I agree the drinks could be a bit underwhelming, but at least the soft drinks were branded, unlike some dire, prior experiences in Rhodes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank floofluce
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I read all the reviews for this hotel before I went which to be quite honest, left me feeling apprehensive.
My husband and our six year old daughter went on August 12-19th 2014.

Firstly, everything that was said of the hotel, it's staff and the food was spot on. The hotel is situated right across the road from the stunningly beautiful sea and it has a small underground walkway you can use to avoid the traffic (ideal if you have children) The staff were all incredible. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them and if you tried to speak even one word in Greek, they loved it. Always smiling. The food was out of this world. It would matter not what part of the world you were from, there would be something to suit you. I'm vegetarian and was spoilt for choice.

Now other reviews mentioned the dated rooms. I guess it depends what you want. It's not the Ritz but it's certainly not the YMCA either. For me, the room was very nice and very clean which is all I want. Clean beds (with good mattresses) a TV, a bathroom and a sofa and a good sized balcony. The sheets/towels were replaced daily if you wished.

Another review mentioned that there wasn't much for children (i.e. no kids clubs but again, I guess it depends what you want. Our six year old did yoga, ping pong, darts and water aerobics all put on by the two very hard working hotel entertainers there. She was never bored for a second and no, we didn't take an iPad. The other facilities were also great. The bars, the pool and tea/coffee and cake at 5pm.

The reviews that left me feeling apprehensive were about the sun bed shortage and Russians piling their plates up with food and being rude and bad mannered. Well, most days, we didn't leave breakfast until gone 9.30 and there was always a subbed available (or three in our case) I can honestly say there was never an issue with availability or towels being placed on them.
And Russians piling their plates with food, I didn't experience any of that either. Yes there were Russians there and French and German and Dutch but everyone had enough.
It did spark a conversation about different cultures and us British are are at the front of the que when it comes to manners!

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and the area it's in. The beach across the road has pebbles but literally, 0.45 miles down the road is a beautiful sandy beach with water sports. We walked there and walked back to the hotel for lunch before returning again.

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Amanda P
guernsey c. islands
Reviewed 19 August 2014

First visit under new ownership and will be the last , unless it reverts back to local ownership . We found some of the staff ( not local to crete ) quite rude and abrupt , especially Anna in the Ikoros Bar , cannot fault the long serving cretan staff , the hotel itself is perfectly located for evenings at the lake ,

4 Thank ALANTACON
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at the Hermes for 10 nights in August and had a lovely holiday. Great location and the hotel lobby/restaurant etc is really well presented.
We decided not to pay for a sea view room but I think we got extremely lucky in the fact that we were put on the 9th floor (925 on the rooftop) overlooking the bay (see picture..beaut!) in what we believe is a family room so absolutely no complaints on the room, very spacious kept spotlessly clean and brilliant view. Air con isn't great but luckily the maids do leave it on whilst your out so the rooms kept cool enough in peak season. Being on the roof we had a peak at the other side of the hotel which backs on to other properties only a few meters away over an alley.. I'd pay for the view or email requesting a sea view after booking.. That's what we did :)
Restaurant food I thought was great, loads of meat, fish and salads all really fresh,tasty and well cooked.. Breakfast is good too, really good selections. Now, this may have been a poor judgement call on our behalf but my partner didn't bring any full length trousers.. Which are required for the evening (plenty of people got asked to leave if they wore shorts) and we had to go on a quick shopping trip, so make sure you take yours!
Now for a couple of downers..
Firstly the alcohol, or lack of should I say. We went all inclusive and there is plenty of choice however, the spirits at least don't seem to fulfil their purpose in life! On the second night I got slightly carried away on the G&T's - 8 hefty European measures later I can honestly say I didn't feel as if I'd had one drink... We mentioned this to our rep and he had no problem in confirming our disappointment. The wine however definitely does work, again.. I've done my research.
Secondly, and very importantly.. This is a Russian hotel now, which we really struggled with. 90% of the guests were Russian, and I believe a lot of the staff are too (staff are lovely in general, but aren't afraid to show their annoyance at you which doesn't really surprise me given the hours they have to work). A lot of the guests are extremely rude (not to mention embarrassingly greedy at meal times) and let their children run riot, sadly both of these things bugged me on a daily basis and would be my reason for not returning to the Hermes.. BUT this is obviously personal preference and if you've ever been to Egypt you'll know the score. Shame, because the hotel has got some great assets.
Beaches nearby leave a lot to be desired.. Grab a cab to Golden Beach in Istron, it's idyllic - €20 in a taxi but I think the local bus goes there too. Elounda is also gorgeous (€13)- bustling and lovely restaurants (we went to Olio), but again the beach is a very stoney and definitely not bat and ball territory! And if you're doing an excursion, the 4x4 day was great, drivers are hilarious and see some really interesting stuff.. Walk to Zeus' cave is a killer though.

Hope this helps!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lillyloo23
England
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Visited the Hermes hotel for 2 weeks all inclusive from 25th July-9th August and we had a lovely holiday.. However the hotel is average, nothing too great.

We're British so were with Thomson/first choice and they try desperately to flog the trips. The trips are really good (We went to Knossos and on the 4x4 jeep with them) but more expensive than if you walk into town and go to 'Budget' or other independent excursion offices. To get into town you exit and turn right out of the hotel.. there's not much to the left.

We went with Budget to the Waterpark and saved 10 euros/pp. We went to Spinalonga with Nostos cruises who are much cheaper (only 15 euros) compared to first choice who wanted around 40.

The food is okay. There's not a great deal of selection but there is enough for everyone to eat something. Spaghetti and chips are served every night so even the fussiest of eaters will manage. The bread is really good!

Most of the staff are really friendly although be careful when you go to dinner not to sit at a table which has a bottle of water on it. These are reserved for non all-inclusive customers and we got shouted out by one of the waitresses.

The pool is salt water and quite small. It's on the 5th floor (roof top) where everything takes place. This is where you can find the snack bar, pool, main restaurant and where the evening entertainment goes on. The entertainment starts around 9:30 and goes on until midnight and we were on the 4th floor so it was REALLY loud. We couldn't sleep till it was over.

The rooms are okay, very basic, but the beds are very hard which I found uncomfortable. They change the sheets and towels every other day which is good. They do a really good job at cleaning except one day we came back to find a fag butt and a dirty cloth left in our room. The cleaner seemed to have a break in our room.

The hotel really isn't good for children. There's only one small pool and no kids club. You can also play table tennis but that's it. That's all there is to do except sunbathing but we like going out. I would recommend Spinalonga, 4x4 and the water park mostly, and if you're into history then Knossos too.

If you aren't staying all inclusive, there's a spar within walking distance. When you find the tourist information (carry the road down from Hermes and it's on the end), you walk up that road with the lake on your left and it's 300m up. It's cheaper than the shops by the hotel.

I hope you all enjoy your stay. I'm currently suffering post holiday blues.

Room Tip: Request one as far away from the 5th floor as possible so it is quieter.
3 Thank LauraBlack97