Having read a number of negative reviews on Minos Beach Art Hotel we were concerned about the reports about an old run down hotel. However we decided to try it out for ourselves and were so happy we had not changed our minds. If you are thinking about going, ignore the negative reviews – they are very exaggerated!
The hotel is a gem of a place, the views are amazing, the gardens and accommodation are well maintained and spotless. The sea is crystal clear with lots of places to go in from, the sunbeds are all new and modern. The artwork dotted around the grounds make for interesting walks too.
The walk into town takes circa 20 minutes and there is a good waterside promenade to walk along most of the way. There is a small shop just across the road to buy water/snacks from. Agios Nikolaos town is very touristy but you can find some decent tavernas to eat in. Our favourite restaurants in town were Pelagos, Avli and Faros. Migomis on top of the lake is excellent but pricy and serves more French style food than Greek.
We had opted for a seafront bungalow and we were not disappointed. We could see the wonderful view of the sea and the distant mountains from our bed, from our private terrace and from our reserved beach spot.
The hotel restaurants serve very good food and the service is also impeccable. Breakfast offers a delicious buffet, and Terpsis for lunch offers lovely traditional food. We only ate once at Bouillabaisse and we were disappointed with the slow service there. Cannot comment on the other restaurant as we never tried it as we opted to use our half board at lunchtime (Terpsis) and eat out in town in the evenings. We would like to thank especially Nikos, Nektarios, Nitza and the barman at the Main Bar for their friendly and welcoming service and smiles.
The only negative points we can remark on: the a/c in our room was not working, and nor was the mini bar fridge. However a call to reception and maintenance were over within 5 minutes to repair them. These amenities are however rather old and should be replaced. The phone also is so old that its actually retro and possibly modern now!
I would definitely recommend a stay at this hotel.
Room tips: bungalows 101 to 103 are the best, 104 to 109 are too close to the public beach and are slightly cut off from the hotel grounds. The bungalows further in after the sandy beach offer more privacy but get shady quicker in the afternoons so don’t go for those if you are sun worshippers like us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Minos Beach art hotel has been influenced by the traditional architectural style of fishermen’s villages of Eastern Crete. One storey, whitewashed bungalows and villas with terraces and minimal interiors are almost touching the sea. The unique environs of the hotel with its sumptuous gardens and narrow stone paved streets host the 45 works of Greek and foreign artists. In the eastern part of Crete, only a ten-minute walk from the town centre of Agios Nikolaos and a 45-minute drive from the airport of Heraklion. Exquisite decoration features, minimalist forms and Feng-Shui elements enriched by the Greek aesthetics of cotton and wood, handcrafted details, candles and water syntheses, create unique spaces and corners, making your stay in Minos Beach unforgettable. For a truly VIP experience at Minos Beach, we offer one presidential villa and three executive villas with private swimming pools, as well as exclusive bungalows that are literary “caressing” the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Alpha Holidays Limited, Hotels.com, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Minos Beach Art hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Minos Beach Art Hotel Hotel Agios Nikolaos
- Minos Beach Art Resort
- Hotel Minos Beach Art
- Minos Beach Hotel
- Minos Beach Art Hotel Crete/Agios Nikolaos