“Beautiful location”

Miramare Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The main plus of this hotel is it's beautiful location, set on the hillside at the southern end of Agios Nikolaos. There are several apartments around the site as well as the hotel itself. The deluxe rooms are spacious, clean and pretty reasonable. You get one complimentary bottle of water on your first day only. There is a small fridge, and a safe which has to be paid for. Internet is free for deluxe room customers but this is not advertised as such. Ask at reception and you will be given a username and password for use of this facility. Air con is available and works as long as the doors are shut. There is a good sized balcony with a table and two chairs. It's good to chill out there with a glass of something, looking at the wonderful views of Mirabella Bay. People booking a ground floor apartment get a private pool. The mattresses are OK but the foam pillows are hard and lumpy. The canteen (I use the word advisedly ) food was a let down for us. There was plenty of it although we often had to ask for things to be replenished. The quality of the food did not match the quantity. We had a lovely waitress called Cleo. However the remaining waiters seemed to be on a bonus scheme to clear up quickly as we had our tables cleared whilst we were getting other courses on several occasions. The first night, they even took away our unfinished glasses of wine. Shock, horror!! We went into town on the last night and got some proper greek cuisine which was a real treat. Taxis into Agios cost a straight five euros each trip, whatever part of town you go to. You could walk into town and back, but the cost of taxis needs to be factored in to your holiday costs if you are unable to walk far or manage the climb back up the hill. The hotel site requires that you walk up and down steps / ramps repeatedly, looking for the pools, spa, etc. The hotel map of the site is a bit confusing. The pools are not heated, so not many people were using them by October. The spa pool is complementary to deluxe customers, but the spa area is extra. The spa area is basic and treatments are not particularly cheap. However you can have an hour in the steam room / sauna for only five euros (ten euros for all day) which is good value. Health and safety doesn't figure in the spa, with non fixed chairs in the steam room, water everywhere. We slipped all over the place in the disposable footwear given to us. The sauna went on the blink so we couldn't use that. The staff were absent most of the time and you have to fend for yourself a bit. There are areas around the hotel site which have steep drops and no rails to protect you from them. I was travelling with a registered blind person so we had to be very careful walking around. That said, the hotel staff were very good in that they provided transport for us around the site if we asked them to, at no extra cost. They hold a folklore evening around the main pool once a week, and we went, not expecting great shakes, but the food was much better here (for a supplement depending on what board status you are on). The usual greek dancing and singing takes place in a very limited space. They do pick on people to stand up and participate so be warned! The obligatory tot of raki is best taken in one gulp with the nose firmly pinched (unless you like the stuff...!) We were entertained by it all. The hotel site is kept clean, and I only saw one (squashed) cockroach on our last day. Agios Nikolaos is to the east of Crete. From there I would recommend trips to Spinalonga to see the old leper colony base, a trip to Kritsa, a village in the mountains nearby (although we renamed it Fleeceya as the old ladies in the little shops drive a hard bargain), and Lato, which are ruins of an ancient Minoan site further up from Kritsa (look out for eagles in mountainous areas). Don't bother with the glass bottomed boat looking for fishes, there is nothing very much to see. You can sit on a shingled beach with your feet in the water, watching tiny fishes swimming around your feet for free. Visit the 'bottomless lake', take a freddochino, and visit Alexandros for your cocktails (suberb amount to choose from) If you want to go further afield, take a local bus to Heracleon although don't expect a lot of department stores. There is a venetian fortress there which is worth a look. Knossos is well worth a visit (more Minoan history). Because of the quality of the food, and the lack of details such as daily supplies of water, safe costing extra, etc, I would only give the hotel a three star rating, but overall not bad for the money.

Room Tip: Lower floor apartments have a small private pool
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Davydiva
miramare1, Guest Relations Manager at Miramare Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us at the Miramare resort.
Although I was delighted that you enjoyed the magnificent views, I was really sorry to read that the food at our restaurant was not to your liking and the Spa services did not meet your expectations .It is great to learn from each of our guests experiences and we highly appreciate your remarks we need to focus on improving.
Once again thank you for taking time to review Miramare resort and I am sorry that you did not find your experiences as enjoyable as other reviewers have.

Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel and cousine.The biggest advantage is breathtaking view to sea and mountains directly from rooms.The rooms are clean but very simple and with old furniture not adequate 4 stars hotel.All staff friendly and nice. Great cats!

Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your feedback. It is great to know that you were pleased with your stay at our resort.
We love to indulge all of our guests and I am delighted to read that we have fulfilled your expectations in terms of services, accommodation and location.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Miramare resort for another perfect holiday.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had wonderful holidays in Miramare. All ! the staff was very professional, friendly, helpful (especially the always smiling and cheerful Marilena) and so we decided already to return next year.
Heli and Dieter, Finland

P.S. The music in the restaurant was in the morning (breakfast) sometimes a bit monotonous.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heli and dieter s

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff professional and helpful.
I have passed your kind words to everyone and we are looking forward welcoming you back on a future visit.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We really enjoyed staying in the hotel. Manolis was a great host. The service of the staff was very professional and whatever we asked for we got.

The food was good and high variety in the restaurant. The place is very clean.

I would come again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Yoav L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at the Miramare resort.
I am extremely happy and proud to read that you found our staff at the restaurant excellent and the food quality good.
It was a pleasure taking care of you and we much look forward having you back at our resort .Once again thank you for staying with us and recommending our hotel to other travelers.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Food was very good and tasty, music track - excelent :). Room service very good. Familly Room was big and good. Beach - sandy, sea water - worm and clean. Good value for cost. We liked our one week holidays very much.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Nfoto
miramare1, Guest Relations Manager at Miramare Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review which is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you were staisfied with your stay. It was pleasing to note that you felt we provided a good accommodation, nice food and that the beach was up to your expectations.
We look forward welcoming you back to Miramare Resort.

With kind regards and Wishes for a Merry Christmas

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Like other travellers having read some mixed reviews on Miramare I was preparing myself for the worst so that I wouldn't be disappointed.
We arrived about 4.30 in the morning exhausted after a long night of travelling to be greeted by friendly reception staff and a man with a van ready to drive us to our room. Good job as I don't think I would have made it up that hill without him! Not only did he drive us up there but he showed us round the room, demonstrated how everything worked and where things were including our thoughtfully prepared picnic in the fridge. We had booked a bungalow with a side sea view and were thrilled to find we'd been given just that but with its own private pool overlooking the main pool. The room was lovely; clean, modern and very spacious. Couldn't have asked for more and for the price we paid well beyond good value for money.
The location of the resort is perfect as long as you can manage very steep hills. They are not for the faint hearted but did help me walk off all the lovely food I ate during my stay. We stayed half board....could not fault the hotel food. Loads of choice no matter where you're from. Food was definitely not catered towards any one nationality. Drinks were reasonable 2.5 euros for a glass of wine, 6 or 7 for a cocktail. The whole buffet experience did get a bit tedious towards the end of the week but we never queued maybe because we tended to eat quite late on. The restaurant staff were brilliant....could not fault the service but I'm glad we weren’t all inclusive as we found lots of lovely local restaurants to try for lunch. The bar tucked into the side of the rocky cove just under the hotel does fantastic food and lovely cocktails and is in the perfect spot both day and night.
What else? Towels were changed daily, sheets every couple of days, rooms could have been given a more thorough clean every couple of days. It wasn't a problem for us as there were only two adults in the room but with kids it might have got a bit mucky.
Resort overall was lovely....there were bits and bobs which were unfinished but that is Crete and part of the charm of the country. The walk is steep but worth every second of it for the views from the rooms. It's only a short walk into the town if you want a more lively night out and an even shorter walk to the sandy beach although we preferred the little rocky coves. You could easily find one and have it all to yourself. Perfect.
We came across very few English people in Crete generally and even less at the resort but if I wanted to be surrounded by English voices I could have stayed at home. We didn't mind it at all and as we spent most days either lazing about on a beach or exploring the island it wasn't a problem. If you do go exploring get on the bus rather than doing a planned excursion. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and had lots of information so it was very easy to set off out on your own.
All in all for me the holiday a fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it. And the unexpected bonus of the private pool became the highlight of the trip when my other half asked me to marry him on our last night swim! Perfect end to a perfect holiday!!

Room Tip: Sea view a must. Go for the rooms at the top of the resort overlooking the main pool
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Am0s12

Dear Guest,

My most sincere thanks for your excellent comments about Miramare Resort. I am very pleased that you were thoroughly satisfied with your overall experience during your time in our resort and that we were a part of such an important moment of your life.
Wishing you happiness and joy in your life.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Just returned from a wonderful holiday in Crete, 08th sept- 22nd and staying in the Miramare Hotel made it even more special as it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary, we arrived very late and very tired, we were shown to our room and if truth be known I was so disappointed but too exhausted to complain, we found baguette's and fresh fruit and water in the fridge to our delight, the following morning I spoke to the receptionist and said we were not happy with our room!, we were asked to come back the following day as the Hotel was fully booked and they could not move us, next day we returned to reception and I explained again about the room, I asked the receptionist if someone could come and see just why i was complaining, a lady from housekeeping came with us and i showed her why i was so unhappy, the bath had been painted and it was peeling off and the shower had spurted water from every angle, (if my hubby stood at the sink he too could have had a shower while brushing his teeth)!!. i explained that we were staying at the hotel for 2 weeks and had paid a lot of money she agreed to upgrade us. we were upgraded to a deluxe room which was lovely, they arranged for a bottle of wine and pastries to be delivered to our room for our anniversary and the following week they presented my husband with a birthday cake and i cant repeat what his reply was lol , but it was such a special moment i will never forget so thank you to Manilios and the staff for arranging this.The All Inclusive bar closes at 10:45 which we thought was a bit early! and the entertainment was a man with a laptop who in his favour played English music twice in the 2 weeks we were there. our time spent at the hotel was made special by the attentiveness we received from Manilios the restaurant manager, he was just so so lovely , he really looked after us and ensured that we got the very best service and he is an asset to the Hotel . the bar staff were also great , especially Rafaela and lukas and i m sorry i forget the other guys name but he was great too , this hotel complex is so big is has 3 swimming pools and all kept to a very high standard, the food was just superb and the chefs did an amazing job to feed so many people, they constantly replenished the trays and there was a great choice for vegetarians, we had to check out at 12 noon with transport booked to take us to the airport for 8pm we asked if we could keep the room for the rest of the day but it was booked out, we were told we could use the shower rooms, these are an absolute disgrace and have no privacy what so ever!! i had to prop the chair behind the door as there was no lock on the door , this area of the hotel needs updating and if money was spent on refurbishing then a lot more guest would be happier. i was also shocked to find out on our last day that another hotel guest had asked for a Wi fi card and got it free for 7 days !!!! we paid 40 euro s for 2 cards for 24 hrs of Wi fi. check with reception before you buy as you may get this card free, request to stay in high number rooms 600 and above, but the biggest complement is Crete is a beautiful place and i have never met such friendly people and would highly recommend it as a holiday destination, we are planning our next years holiday as we speak and yes we will be returning to Miramare . thank you so much for looking after us

Room Tip: Ask for rooms above 600 and if you can walk into town then its a good way of burning off the calorie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmckBeds

Dear Guest ,
Thank you for your full review of your stay with us. I am extremely happy to read that you found oust staff at the restaurant and the bar excellent. Your compliments have been passed on to all the team who was very grateful to receive them.Every observation is extremely valuable and helpful to us, so thank you for highlighting the areas we need to focus on improving.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other travelers and it will be our pleasure to have you with us in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agios Nikolaos
Faedra Beach Hotel
Faedra Beach Hotel
#34 of 95 in Agios Nikolaos
Sensimar Minos Palace - Adults Only

Been to Miramare Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!