“Disappointed”

Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We arrived at the Miramare !st October having booked a luxury bungalow which we believed had its own pool. When taken to our accommodation it was not a bungalow, did not have its own pool and was not luxury. It was a basic room with a small bathroom (809). We immediately returned to reception to sort out the misunderstanding where we encountered Yiannis, the rudest, most unhelpful and aggressive receptionist. He told us that was a luxury room and if we wanted to change we would have to pay another 224 Euros. We paid this reluctantly for a slightly larger room (317) but still no pool. We awoke early next morning to the sound of coaches and delivery vehicles passing within a few feet of our window. We phoned Olympic and we were moved again, this time to a room with a pool, which Yiannis had told us wasn't available. This hotel has many different standards of room from quite basic, which was sold to us as a luxury bungalow, to deluxe rooms which looked very nice. Make sure everything you think you are booking is itemised on your paperwork or you might be disappointed. The hotel is okay in general but not luxury, it has good views, about 20 minute walk to the lake, 5 Euro taxi ride. The bar lacks atmosphere, the food was good. Other staff here have been great, especially the Maitre d'hotel and his staff in the restaurant. They are the Greek people we have come to love over the last 30 years of visiting the Greek Islands. Yiannis is a disgrace to the hotel.

Room Tip: Have everything you want itemised on your paperwork
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Rod H
miramare1, Guest Relations Manager at Miramare Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time taken to post your feedback from your stay at the Miramare resort.
Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and found our staff at the restaurant helpful , it is deeply regrettable to learn that your stay with us did not meet all your expectations. We take all our guests feedback very seriously, and I was disheartened to learn that you were disappointed with our Front desk staff.
Although I totally understand your frustration regarding your accommodation, may I kindly note that you were originally accommodated in a room type according to the reservation we received from your Tour Operator. After your request for an upgrade to a DeLuxe room the supplement was charged, which was later refunded to you, as our aim is to achieve in satisfying all of our guests and provide them with the best possible services.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused and I hope this will not deter you from visiting us in the future as we would be honored to serve you again.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Navenby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The main plus of this hotel is it's beautiful location, set on the hillside at the southern end of Agios Nikolaos. There are several apartments around the site as well as the hotel itself. The deluxe rooms are spacious, clean and pretty reasonable. You get one complimentary bottle of water on your first day only. There is a small fridge, and a safe which has to be paid for. Internet is free for deluxe room customers but this is not advertised as such. Ask at reception and you will be given a username and password for use of this facility. Air con is available and works as long as the doors are shut. There is a good sized balcony with a table and two chairs. It's good to chill out there with a glass of something, looking at the wonderful views of Mirabella Bay. People booking a ground floor apartment get a private pool. The mattresses are OK but the foam pillows are hard and lumpy. The canteen (I use the word advisedly ) food was a let down for us. There was plenty of it although we often had to ask for things to be replenished. The quality of the food did not match the quantity. We had a lovely waitress called Cleo. However the remaining waiters seemed to be on a bonus scheme to clear up quickly as we had our tables cleared whilst we were getting other courses on several occasions. The first night, they even took away our unfinished glasses of wine. Shock, horror!! We went into town on the last night and got some proper greek cuisine which was a real treat. Taxis into Agios cost a straight five euros each trip, whatever part of town you go to. You could walk into town and back, but the cost of taxis needs to be factored in to your holiday costs if you are unable to walk far or manage the climb back up the hill. The hotel site requires that you walk up and down steps / ramps repeatedly, looking for the pools, spa, etc. The hotel map of the site is a bit confusing. The pools are not heated, so not many people were using them by October. The spa pool is complementary to deluxe customers, but the spa area is extra. The spa area is basic and treatments are not particularly cheap. However you can have an hour in the steam room / sauna for only five euros (ten euros for all day) which is good value. Health and safety doesn't figure in the spa, with non fixed chairs in the steam room, water everywhere. We slipped all over the place in the disposable footwear given to us. The sauna went on the blink so we couldn't use that. The staff were absent most of the time and you have to fend for yourself a bit. There are areas around the hotel site which have steep drops and no rails to protect you from them. I was travelling with a registered blind person so we had to be very careful walking around. That said, the hotel staff were very good in that they provided transport for us around the site if we asked them to, at no extra cost. They hold a folklore evening around the main pool once a week, and we went, not expecting great shakes, but the food was much better here (for a supplement depending on what board status you are on). The usual greek dancing and singing takes place in a very limited space. They do pick on people to stand up and participate so be warned! The obligatory tot of raki is best taken in one gulp with the nose firmly pinched (unless you like the stuff...!) We were entertained by it all. The hotel site is kept clean, and I only saw one (squashed) cockroach on our last day. Agios Nikolaos is to the east of Crete. From there I would recommend trips to Spinalonga to see the old leper colony base, a trip to Kritsa, a village in the mountains nearby (although we renamed it Fleeceya as the old ladies in the little shops drive a hard bargain), and Lato, which are ruins of an ancient Minoan site further up from Kritsa (look out for eagles in mountainous areas). Don't bother with the glass bottomed boat looking for fishes, there is nothing very much to see. You can sit on a shingled beach with your feet in the water, watching tiny fishes swimming around your feet for free. Visit the 'bottomless lake', take a freddochino, and visit Alexandros for your cocktails (suberb amount to choose from) If you want to go further afield, take a local bus to Heracleon although don't expect a lot of department stores. There is a venetian fortress there which is worth a look. Knossos is well worth a visit (more Minoan history). Because of the quality of the food, and the lack of details such as daily supplies of water, safe costing extra, etc, I would only give the hotel a three star rating, but overall not bad for the money.

Room Tip: Lower floor apartments have a small private pool
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Davydiva
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us at the Miramare resort.
Although I was delighted that you enjoyed the magnificent views, I was really sorry to read that the food at our restaurant was not to your liking and the Spa services did not meet your expectations .It is great to learn from each of our guests experiences and we highly appreciate your remarks we need to focus on improving.
Once again thank you for taking time to review Miramare resort and I am sorry that you did not find your experiences as enjoyable as other reviewers have.

Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel and cousine.The biggest advantage is breathtaking view to sea and mountains directly from rooms.The rooms are clean but very simple and with old furniture not adequate 4 stars hotel.All staff friendly and nice. Great cats!

Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your feedback. It is great to know that you were pleased with your stay at our resort.
We love to indulge all of our guests and I am delighted to read that we have fulfilled your expectations in terms of services, accommodation and location.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Miramare resort for another perfect holiday.

Virrat, Finland
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had wonderful holidays in Miramare. All ! the staff was very professional, friendly, helpful (especially the always smiling and cheerful Marilena) and so we decided already to return next year.
Heli and Dieter, Finland

P.S. The music in the restaurant was in the morning (breakfast) sometimes a bit monotonous.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heli and dieter s
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff professional and helpful.
I have passed your kind words to everyone and we are looking forward welcoming you back on a future visit.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We really enjoyed staying in the hotel. Manolis was a great host. The service of the staff was very professional and whatever we asked for we got.

The food was good and high variety in the restaurant. The place is very clean.

I would come again and recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Yoav L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at the Miramare resort.
I am extremely happy and proud to read that you found our staff at the restaurant excellent and the food quality good.
It was a pleasure taking care of you and we much look forward having you back at our resort .Once again thank you for staying with us and recommending our hotel to other travelers.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Food was very good and tasty, music track - excelent :). Room service very good. Familly Room was big and good. Beach - sandy, sea water - worm and clean. Good value for cost. We liked our one week holidays very much.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Nfoto
miramare1, Guest Relations Manager at Miramare Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review which is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you were staisfied with your stay. It was pleasing to note that you felt we provided a good accommodation, nice food and that the beach was up to your expectations.
We look forward welcoming you back to Miramare Resort.

With kind regards and Wishes for a Merry Christmas

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Like other travellers having read some mixed reviews on Miramare I was preparing myself for the worst so that I wouldn't be disappointed.
We arrived about 4.30 in the morning exhausted after a long night of travelling to be greeted by friendly reception staff and a man with a van ready to drive us to our room. Good job as I don't think I would have made it up that hill without him! Not only did he drive us up there but he showed us round the room, demonstrated how everything worked and where things were including our thoughtfully prepared picnic in the fridge. We had booked a bungalow with a side sea view and were thrilled to find we'd been given just that but with its own private pool overlooking the main pool. The room was lovely; clean, modern and very spacious. Couldn't have asked for more and for the price we paid well beyond good value for money.
The location of the resort is perfect as long as you can manage very steep hills. They are not for the faint hearted but did help me walk off all the lovely food I ate during my stay. We stayed half board....could not fault the hotel food. Loads of choice no matter where you're from. Food was definitely not catered towards any one nationality. Drinks were reasonable 2.5 euros for a glass of wine, 6 or 7 for a cocktail. The whole buffet experience did get a bit tedious towards the end of the week but we never queued maybe because we tended to eat quite late on. The restaurant staff were brilliant....could not fault the service but I'm glad we weren’t all inclusive as we found lots of lovely local restaurants to try for lunch. The bar tucked into the side of the rocky cove just under the hotel does fantastic food and lovely cocktails and is in the perfect spot both day and night.
What else? Towels were changed daily, sheets every couple of days, rooms could have been given a more thorough clean every couple of days. It wasn't a problem for us as there were only two adults in the room but with kids it might have got a bit mucky.
Resort overall was lovely....there were bits and bobs which were unfinished but that is Crete and part of the charm of the country. The walk is steep but worth every second of it for the views from the rooms. It's only a short walk into the town if you want a more lively night out and an even shorter walk to the sandy beach although we preferred the little rocky coves. You could easily find one and have it all to yourself. Perfect.
We came across very few English people in Crete generally and even less at the resort but if I wanted to be surrounded by English voices I could have stayed at home. We didn't mind it at all and as we spent most days either lazing about on a beach or exploring the island it wasn't a problem. If you do go exploring get on the bus rather than doing a planned excursion. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and had lots of information so it was very easy to set off out on your own.
All in all for me the holiday a fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it. And the unexpected bonus of the private pool became the highlight of the trip when my other half asked me to marry him on our last night swim! Perfect end to a perfect holiday!!

Room Tip: Sea view a must. Go for the rooms at the top of the resort overlooking the main pool
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Am0s12
Dear Guest,

My most sincere thanks for your excellent comments about Miramare Resort. I am very pleased that you were thoroughly satisfied with your overall experience during your time in our resort and that we were a part of such an important moment of your life.
Wishing you happiness and joy in your life.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agios Nikolaos
Hotel Panormo Beach
Hotel Panormo Beach
#7 of 14 in Panormos
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & V...
#1 of 100 in Agios Nikolaos

Been to Miramare Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!