We booked through Secret Escapes and didn't know exactly what our accommodation would be, but we struck lucky with apartment 631, which has a bedroom (with A/C), living room (with independent A/C), bathroom and walk-around pool. (The adjoining apartment was much narrower than 631 and its pool was not walk-around, oddly.) 631 has a good sea view across the bay. The pool water was totally clean and, though unheated and feeling cold on first entry, was perfect for dips in late June, when the temperature in early afternoon can be well over 30. We were not bothered by insects, though small ants were always on the pool-side patio. The cleaners who come in daily were very efficient.
Walking around the complex we noticed a great variety of apartment/room locations and views. Some have no pools. Some pools are right next to pathways, affording absolutely no privacy. We realised how very lucky we had been to get 631, but if we stayed again I would make advance checks about our accommodation.
The star feature of the Resort (for us) was the Bellavista restaurant (above the foyer), where an amazing array of hot and cold buffet dishes was available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There were plenty of options for carnivores or vegetarians, or you could enjoy a totally Mediterranean diet. At breakfast I loved the Greek yoghurt with figs and honey, and my wife liked the pancakes cooked to order. For those who prefer a more "British" breakfast, bacon and eggs were always available in plenty. At lunch and dinner there were huge slabs of feta cheese, green and black olives and salads and oils, and cooked fish and local vegetables of several varieties. The local wine (white or red), and the Greek beer, was perfectly drinkable. The maitre d' and his restaurant staff were very efficient, helpful and pleasant.
We enjoyed an outdoor pool-side "Greek night", with excellent Greek buffet food and entertainment by local musicians and dancers, but the food at the "Tango night" was served slowly and the evening was less of a success.
The local town and its lake and harbour was worth a visit, but we thought the food in the Resort restaurant was all we needed to eat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- MIRAMARE resort is an attractive hotel, bungalow and Luxury Villas complex in Eastern Crete. It is situated in a magnificent and peaceful location just above the sea front, with a startling view of the picturesque town of Aghios Nikolaos and the Mirabello Bay between two fully organized beaches offering full facilities and a large variety of sea sports.The cosmopolitan town of Aghios Nikolaos is within walking distance from the hotel, only one hour from Heraklion International Airport and a short drive from all major attractions of Eastern Crete.The hotel is built in traditional island architecture supporting the conservation of Cretan nature, with low buildings, all of which are generously spacious for your relaxation and enjoyment. Miramare Resort & Luxury Villas has been designed not only to fulfil but also to exceed the highest expectations of the most discerning traveller. Offering the highest possible service standards and an environment of discreet luxury and comfort, the Miramare resort promises to make even the shortest stay a unique and memorable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Bookgreece.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Miramare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Miramare Hotel And Villas
- Miramare Hotel Agios Nikolaos
- Miramare Hotel Crete
- Miramare Agios Nikolaos
- Miramare Resort & Spa Crete/Agios Nikolaos